www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old October 18th, 2018, 17:06   #1
Eddy1287

Default Advice on 2" Hitch Option for 2014 Sportwagen

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen and one of the first mods I'm doing is installing a receiver hitch. Both for pulling and most primarily to load up future Kuat bike rack. (https://www.rei.com/product/109437/k...ike-hitch-rack)
I've found a couple of hidden hitches with 2'" receivers that seem to be good choices. I'll list links to each below. My question for you all is which one should I go with....and why?
Second question: What wire kit should I seek out for proper install with VW wiring and the ability to hook up a brake controller later?
Torklift EcoHitch: http://www.hitchsource.com/torklift-...BoCS9IQAvD_BwE
EcoHitch: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...RoClgUQAvD_BwE
Eddy1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 22:43   #2
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

I've been looking myself, and those are different from what I've found so far.

To this point, I've noticed people tend to use (in no order): Westfalia, Bosal and Curt hitches.

Are those two you mention any better cost or fit/performance wise?

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 18:39   #3
CarlosF

I had the hitch and wiring on my 2010 wagon installed at Torklift in Seattle.
https://torkliftcentral.com
Very clean job on both at a great price. It took all day, but it was done right as a result.
CarlosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 18:55   #4
Eddy1287

PRY4SNO: Westfalia and Bosal are companies with very interesting ways to hide a hitch. But regrettably, they are both outside the US and are pretty expensive to purchase and ship. As for Curt, they don't seem to have any hidden hitches that wouldn't take away from the anesthetics by putting a hitch on.

After further research, I did find that the two options I previously posted are actually the same things. Just that the mounting points are different due to one being for a sportwagen and the other meant for an Alltrack.

ClarlosF I wish I lived closer to have them install the setup. I called the other day and they said they would have given me a discount if I lived there, but not with an online order. Oh well, so far, this is my only realistic option so I'll have to pull the trigger on the sale sooner than later.
Old October 20th, 2018, 17:08   #5
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

I put on a Westfalia Hitch on my JSW with no issue. The Westfalia Hitch is slick. You take plastic rear bumper cover off and metal rear bumper (all bolts and screws) and replace it with the hitch (which acts as bumper as well). There are no new holes in the bottom of car like other ones.

The Westfaila goose neck hitch is removable. The only down side is is 2" ball and it's integral to the hitch. You can't remove removal goose neck ball and they don't sell 1-7/8".

If you have a trailer with a receiver that is made for 1-7/8" ball it will not work at all on 2" ball. Now 2" trailer receivers will go on 1-7/8" balls. 2" is the standard now. The removable goose neck is SLICK and has a cool locking socket set up. So this is a minor issue but it screwed me twice. My Harbor Freight Trailer had 1-7/8" receiver and had to swap it out (which cost me about $13). I wanted to borrow a motor cycle trailer once before I bought my own trailer, and again it was 1-7/8" and did not fit. I was just thinking I could grind on the ball and remove some material to allow it to fit 1-7/8 trailer receiver, but then again my trailer now is 2" so we are good.

COST: Westfalia were way expensive 5 OR 6 years ago. WESTFAILIA PRICES DROPPED WAY DOWN a few years ago, and the USD to Euro exchange rate also made it even cheaper. I got mine for about the same price as the other hitches (about $200).

The cheapest is the CURT and least slick ($150). It hangs down the most. The EURO hitch goes under the bumper, but you have you trim the very bottom of the bumper cover so you can tuck hitch receiver as close to the body as possible. It looks better and gives more ground clearance. UNDER bumper are fine and may be slightly easier to install, since I don't think you have to take the rear bumper cover off. The down side is they sacrifice some ground clearance and are visible.

EDIT if you have your heart set on some bike carrier that accepts a square hitch receiver the Westfalia will not be for you. The Westfalia has bike carriers but you will have to buy ones that fits the Westfalia. Go to Youtube and check out the videos... Go to the vendor in UK and look at what they offer. I recommend the Westfalia but it's up to you. PF Jones is great to deal with LINK BELOW.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/ (this page shows a JSW with a bike rack)

Here is the link for the JSW which they call GOLF ESTATE... they also call them tow bars not hitches.
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/t...lf-estate.html

This is the one I have and it is $267. As I was saying they were over $500 at one time. The quality is amazing. If you want a bike rake you will need to buy one for the Westfalia tow bar... They have all kinds...

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; October 20th, 2018 at 23:05.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2018, 16:26   #6
Eddy1287

Hey, thanks guys for all the posts towards my question.

I settled on the Torklift hidden hitch and will be having it installed tomorrow. I can let you all know how it works out with my bike rack later. Now I need to find a wiring harness that will as close to OEM as possible. I'd like to have one installed that will allow for powered breaks and a charging line for the trailer, but we'll see if such kit exists, or if I'll have to make my own.

If anyone has done this already, I'd appreciate any advice or links to purchase. Thanks.
Old November 7th, 2018, 09:05   #7
CarlosF

Torklift in Seattle also did the wiring on my 2010, for power and a possible brake controller in the future, so a 7-way plug. It was a cut and splice though because a kit didn't exist for the 2010. Torklift may have a kit for a 2014.
CarlosF is offline   Reply With Quote