BEW Jetta Wagon Low Power

Skuller

TDI
2001 2002 2004 Jetta
2004 TDI BEW Jetta Wagon vacuum at turbo line
The MRS' TDI Jetta has no zoom.
Leak on turbo hose was fixed with a dog collar, and it worked great (I'm told) Week later runs like there's no boost. Actuator holds vacuum.

I checked the vacuum (mini-vac) at the turbo line while at idle. I figured it would be 2-3 in/Hg.... NOPE! It was at 20, which means at idle the turbo should be producing considerable boost.

Any ideas? A bad N75?

-Skuller

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
There are other hoses behind the passanger side front tire the can also leak and cause problems. While you’re checking for proper connections you might want to separate those hoses and check the amount of oil in the intercooler.

Have you cleaned the egr valve?

There are also two small actuators one on either side of the head, beneath and behind the tandem pump and beneath and behind the egr. Do they hold vacuum? Or is one of the mounting tabs broken so even though the actuator holds vacuum it moves in the mount and doesn’t operate the little flapper?

Have you removed the hose to the turbo so you can check the play of the compressor wheel? Visually check it also and see if there are any bent fins, cellphone camera works great for that.

Skuller

TDI
2001 2002 2004 Jetta
Have you cleaned the egr valve?

No. I haven't looked yet. I did check the vane linkage a little while ago. Started moving with about4 inHg, fully extended around 18. I'll have to look for the other two actuators...
I installed a new boost gauge. It reads 0 at all times, idle or at 3000 RPM. I'll be looking at the turbo next, to see if the wheels are intact, or have play.

My 2002 Jetta snapped the main turbo shaft, so the exhaust wheel was literally bouncing around in the housing. It laid a HUGE smoke screen the rest of the way home....

The mystery to me is why I got a vacuum reading of 20 inHg at idle on the vacuum line to the actuator from the N75...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Your car will not produce boost until the engine is under load. As in driving it.