40,000 Mile service

Mike473

Hi guys.

Went to the dealer today to have the air bag light issue fixed. While there, they kind of pressured me to do the 40,000 mile service. They said the cost was $400. I didn't have time to go over the service in detail. Has anyone had this service done at the dealership? Does $400 sound fair? Does anyone know of a good diesel mechanic near the Western, Massachusetts area (Springfield). I did examine the FAQ, but did not find the topic, although i admit to be a novice on these forums. Anyway. i am right there at 40K, so I am trying to make a good educated decision.

Mike

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Hi Mike,

I did the major stuff for my 40K service at a local GTG. I'm a real newbie when it comes to cars in general, but I didn't find it to be too difficult (with a little help from the guys!).
The big stuff is fuel filter change, oil and oil filter change, air filter change, cabin filter change, clean snowscreen.
I think you're supposed to lube stuff and do a safety check as well (do the lights work?, etc.) but I didn't do that part.
For $100 or so in parts, you're well on your way.

I would suggest hooking up with some people who are local to you and ask for some guidance in doing this work yourself.
I've found club members to be exceedingly generous with their time, their tools and especially their knowledge.

Good Luck!
Keli

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well $400 sounds typical, fair I don't know what to say to tbat. At 40K you change the all filters and the oil. www.impexfap sells a filter kit for about $80 and then the oil is about another $25. Oh they do have a long checklist of stuff they look at but you could do all the work in under an hour.

Oh Herm TDI is up in Richmond Maine and you could drive a few hours to him and save a ton of money. His email address is hermtdi@yahoo.com go figure. You could blow a day and save at least $250!

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
I will add that the advantage is that having someone local help you do it really takes a lot of the mystery out of the car.

I always ask a lot of annoying questions and learn a heck of a lot.

My limited experience with the service dept. at the dealer has been very frustrating because they have been unable to explain to me what is going on with my car and what they did.

I figure if I can learn to work on my own car then ANYBODY can!

Keli

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The price is typical for a dealership... you can order the filter kit and buy the oil yourself (what year is your car? if a 2004, you need extra-special oil conforming to VW 505.01 standard)... after that, any corner garage can do the rest for a whole lot less...

Better yet, find a GT in the area (there may be one in Connecticut soon) and have some of the folks there help you do it yourself (I'm assuming that you're not over 80 years of age and physically infirm...). I went to one in CT earlier this year, when I was spending time in Springfield... learned a lot !!!

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
Check your owner's manual to see what items are due at 40k miles. You'll see that it includes things that you can do yourself, like checking fluids or whatever. Do what you know how to do, and make a list of what you don't or can't by yourself. Then call the dealer and get a quote on just the work that you need done.

The basic price for dealer service is more meant for customers that don't ever even open up the hood of the car they drive.