2013 VW Jetta TDI chip tuning

audacious1

TDI
2013 vw jetta tdi
I am looking to see if anyone could suggest a chip tuning for my 2013 VW Jetta TDI. I would like a plug and play that does not require physically installing any boxes under the hood.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Also do a search. There is a lot of reading you should do before your selection.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Welcome to TDI Club!

Malone, Revo, Rocket Chip, etc.. are all candidates for your MY and are well discussed here. Search forums, plenty of reading, decide for yourself which one. Between the reputable candidates, it seems to come down to a Ford/Chevy argument IMHO; I'll be getting one of those three somewhere down the road....

In any case, your ECU will need to be removed for the initial programing, the anti-tamper encryption needs to be defeated on the bench, subsequent updates can be done via CAN-bus / OBD port as I understand it..

Last edited:

zburt

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Been looking at the APR tune and it does not require the ECU being removed or the DSG update. Stage 1 is 33hp. So more of a plug and play as you referenced wanting. I am still researching to determine what will be best for me. Still up in the air, but the APR and the Malone are the top 2 at this time. Will post once I make a choice and give the results. GL in your choice!

tyson

TDI
2001 VW Jetta, 2010 VW Jetta
Been looking at the APR tune and it does not require the ECU being removed or the DSG update. Stage 1 is 33hp. So more of a plug and play as you referenced wanting. I am still researching to determine what will be best for me. Still up in the air, but the APR and the Malone are the top 2 at this time. Will post once I make a choice and give the results. GL in your choice!
I've never had APR but neither have most people on this forum. They do great with gassers but TDI has never been their strong suite.

Last edited:

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Check with some Malone tuners, there's been some posts recently indicating that some CR cars can be port flashed (no ECU removal). I'm not sure on details but it's worth getting in touch with one of the tuners to see what they say before you spend any money.

I'd also be wary of APR's claims regarding the DSG tune. They don't currently have a DSG tune for CR TDIs, I'd wager once they do that their stance changes regarding whether you need it or not. They're not about to tell you to go to a competitor to get your DSG tuned.

zburt

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Site states it does the CR TDI's and a separate DSG tune is not needed. Their is a local tuner near my house that is a APR dealer, I will stop in and consult with them by the weekend about the DSG issue. It also is 3hp more than the Malone stage 2. Very interesting :)

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tdi.html

Sorry if the link is not allowed. Please remove or tell me2. Probably in the rules, but to busy reading about my TDI!

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
good luck with apr lol, lets hope they dont brick your ecu.

See how many people on here have apr tunes? yah literally none almost for good reason, better choices and that 3hp pfft id rather have the ability to dpf delete and options to customize my tune...plus id rather a company that has more experience with diesel and
better customer reports.

Again good luck, sometimes it pays to not go to the closest place and no dsg tune LOL i wouldnt ever tune a dsg car without a dsg tune thats dumb why have power when the stock tranny tune cant manage it....crap id tune the dsg even stock motor tune.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
It does state "not often require transmission software" for the APR

Let me explain what that means: "As long as you don't use aggressive throttle while it shifts, you won't faceplant the steering wheel"

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Get the DSG and stage 2 tune from Malone and you will be very happy. I did it and can't be more pleased.

zburt

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I would love to do the Malone, but I live 9hrs. from the closest dealer and 8 miles from the APR tuner. If I have a problem with the APR it is only a few minutes, it is a few days without a car with the Malone not to mention shipping cost, and the tune with the Dsg tune is double the cost. Tuff sale. From my subaru days I have found no matter how good the tune having a local tuner is way more important. I'm still reading and haven't totally made up my mind and wish the Malone dealer was closer. :(

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I would love to do the Malone, but I live 9hrs. from the closest dealer and 8 miles from the APR tuner. If I have a problem with the APR it is only a few minutes, it is a few days without a car with the Malone not to mention shipping cost, and the tune with the Dsg tune is double the cost. Tuff sale:(
I live 10 miles from the closest APR dealer and 3,000 miles from the nearest Malone dealer. I went with a Malone tune and DSG tune.

Without a DSG tune, you will not get an increase in torque with an ECU tune because of the torque limiter. If you go with APR and do not get a DSG tune it will drive like crap and it'll be a waste of money.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
i drove 7 hrs each way to get my malone installed...id drive it again in a heart beat, and how many times have i had an issue since? NONE ... 100,000k since flawless

Zona

TDI
2011 Golf TDi sedan
If you go with APR and do not get a DSG tune it will drive like crap and it'll be a waste of money. .[/QUOTE said:
Are you speaking from experience there? You had a APR tune and were so displeased you chucked it for Malone?
Just doing research now, but most people seem pleased with the APR tune, without the DSG tune also.
When I spoke to the local APR tuner, they did not push me to get both.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

antikid

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
since this seems to be an active thread, I don't want to start a new one:

i bought a 2010 that has the rocketchip 1+ tune. Now that it is mine, i keep looking at all the sweet power options with DPF delete/exhaust.

anyone know what the differences are between the rocketchip 1+ (that is on the receipt from the PO) and the malone tune? Would I notice much?

I would get the DSG tune before I do anything else or if I went with the DPF delete/exhaust. From what I have read, I will certainly notice that.