Auto Closing Electric Windows - How?

Red Eye

I have read in the owners manual for a Euro spec '98 Passat and it states that it is possible to have automatic electric window closing when the car is locked.
I have tried the procedure for reinstating this (just incase the battery has been disconected by the dealer!) ie. All windows up, lockdoor, relock door and hold for 1 sec+ etc. but it doesn't work, how can I tell if my car has this, maybe it is only available as an option and my car hasn't got it. If it is standard on all passat's how do I get it to work?. If it is an optional extra what do I need to have it fitted, is it a matter of just adding an extra wire or something?.

Thanks Greg

HkyTDiGuy

TDI
2001 Golf GL TDi Reflex Silver w/ blk int
My old 1990 Corrado & 1991 Passat GLS both had this feature, as does my Mom's 2002 Passat GLX (my 2001 Golf GL doesn't as it has manual windows). On all of them, you just simply put the key in the driver's door & twist it to lock the doors & just keep holding it there & after a few seconds, the windows start going up in sequence (the sunroof also closes this way). Just the opposite to lower the windows - twist the key to unlock & hold in that position until they open. That's all there is to it. I would assume the UK spec cars w/ power windows would be the same, as any of the US cars with power windows have that feature.

Red Eye

HkyTDiGuy, thanks for your help, I understand now, yes the windows DO go down when the key is held in the unlocked position, and also go UP if held in the locked position.
I am assuming that this only works when using the key itself and not using the remote locking buttons on the key fob, am I correct?.

Greg

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
You could always add the alientech device. This will let you roll-up and down(and vent) your windows/sunroof with just the key fob.

Lito

ROITDI

Veteran Member
I have a 98 passat (no remote alarm) and it works as stated, hold (for over 1 second) in locked position to close, unlocked position to open.