Odd grinding noise when turning left

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Hi guys,

Just wanted to bounce this off you...

Every once in a while when I'm turning left, the front right side makes a grinding noise. Very noticeable and you can feel the vibration a bit too. It's a pretty rare event, but it just happened again yesterday so I thought I'd start a post on the issue before I forget again.

The problem never happens when turning the other way, or when driving straight. It's always on the right front side, when turning relatively tight left turns, and only when the engine is applying power to the wheels.

It's not the bearings. Those have been replaced recently. (problem was there before and after)
And the axle nut is torqued properly.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: After doing some research I'm pretty sure that the CV axle is going bad. Been 14 years. I'll have a look at both sides, and may just replace both.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yes; my thoughts: it takes little to no time on a badly (or not at all) torqued axle nut to mess up the bearing. Just putting weight on it without tightening it will ruin a bearing. It appears that enough damage was caused that you now are hearing the results of inept installation procedure on that half shaft.

You will hear the grinding noise increase until it can be heard at all times, not just when turning.

The question is whether your bearing replacement was before or after the turbo replacement where the axle nut wasn't tightened properly. Certainly, the scenario you describe will have ruined a wheel bearing.

If the bearing replacement(s) were done after the turbo incident, then you may be seeing the left wheel bearing dying on you instead of the right. Sometimes it seems one side is going when it really is the other side. It has worked that way for me, and many others. Please do a search on wheel bearings, and you will see many threads where the biggest problem was to figure out which side was really the problem.

Good luck,

PH

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
You may have a brake dust cover that is bent and touches the disc at the one extreme.

If that's the problem, it sucks and can be real bear to correct for such a minor tweak.

Go to a parking lot and drive or coast in neutral as slowly as you can in a circle while tightening the radius until you produce the sound. If the car then slows a touch it is without a doubt a bent dust shield. You may also find a telltale groove on the inside edge of the disk.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
You may have a brake dust cover that is bent and touches the disc at the one extreme.

If that's the problem, it sucks and can be real bear to correct for such a minor tweak.
? if thats the case just bend it back abit!

It wouldn't simply be ice build up.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
It could be a wheel bearing, but I'm pretty sure that it's not. I was having this problem long before they were replaced. I also had both sides replaced each time.
(Plus they may have been replaced twice since this problem started...it's been that long and the problem that infrequent. But I'm pretty sure that the turbo job ...and loose axle issue...happened before this problem was first noticed.)

I've experienced wheel bearing issues twice since having the car, and this is similar but different.
The bad wheel bearings would vibrate at a higher frequency, and if going 80kph or more in a straight line, but more noticeable when turning. Never noticed them at low speed....probably never got that bad.
This new issue is noticeable at low speed and only when turning pretty tight turns. It's also a lower frequency grindy noise. There are no problems when going in a straight line at any speed, or turning shallow turns.

From what I just read the symptoms for a bad CV joint are exactly what I'm seeing. Turning left and getting a deep grinding in the right wheel area....equals a bad CV joint on the right side.

I've had the car for 14 years and never had anything done to the CV joints. I suspect that the boots could be in bad shape. Super muddy up in there now due to the weather we've been having this year. I'm hoping it'll be nice enough this weekend that I can wash the cars at home instead of the car wash. I'll have a look after that to see if the boot has broken and let crap into the joint.

In any case I'll do some more testing and research before blowing a wad of cash on this.

:)

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI

Go to a parking lot and drive or coast in neutral as slowly as you can in a circle while tightening the radius until you produce the sound. If the car then slows a touch it is without a doubt a bent dust shield. You may also find a telltale groove on the inside edge of the disk.
Can't be. The problem only occurs if I'm applying power to the wheel. If I'm coasting...no throttle...the noise is not there.

Makes me suspect the differential or CV.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
CVs go bad by clicking in turns (outer) or by making the steering wheel shimmy when power is applied (inner). Grinding or howling (a steady noise) is the hallmark of wheel bearings.

I suppose that if an outer CV joint were packed with sand and/or dirt, then a grinding noise could be generated, but that is a rare example. You usually get clicking first.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
It better not be the wheel bearings. :mad:

Meh, I need to do a bunch of testing, looking, and poking & prodding.

I just looked up some videos on what it sounds like when an outter CV joint is going...and a few of them were very similar to what I heard.

This one is the closest...skip to 20 seconds to avoid the annoying intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot_CgAjyCFQ

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Ya, I don't know what this is.

I can only make it happen, sometimes, when in 2nd gear and turning left fairly sharply while accelerating.

I'll have to have a closer look when I change the tires from Winters to All-seasons....probably in a few weeks.

The car doesn't get a lot of use, so won't be a problem.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Pop the driveshafts off for a proper look, I just replaced one of mine and it was the actual spline on the inner joint, the joint itself is perfect but the shaft is worn.

But yeh, a lot easier to get a proper look at them off the car and it only takes a few minutes to get them off.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Hmm...I semi suspect that may be the issue. If it is, I hope it is just the spline on the shaft. Although, if the joint is worn I could use the excuse to get a LSD. But I'll catch a lot of wife agro for it. :)

Did you also have odd noises before you replaced it?

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
That's usually a symptom of bad CV joints. The rubber boot tears or gets a hole, the grease leaks out and dirt leaks in, and you get bad noises when turning one direction but not the other.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would also suspect one of the LCA bushings. if the noise is only under load (mashing the go pedal on the right) it could be the torque pushes the worn bushing to allow whatever contact is happening.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I would also suspect one of the LCA bushings. if the noise is only under load (mashing the go pedal on the right) it could be the torque pushes the worn bushing to allow whatever contact is happening.
Shouldn't be. All that was replaced recently.
Bushings, arms, struts, links, hubs, bearings, and knuckles. (with improved parts)

And the problem has been there for a few years...just a bit more noticeable now.

Hmm...but one of the bushing (I assume) was squeaking a little after the install. It went away after a drive or two. Wouldn't take much to check that those are still all as they should be.

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
I have been getting a similar noise from my Jetta when turning left and determined it was coming from my heater fan. I have not removed it yet to see what is going on but if I turn it off the noise goes away. It only does it when turn left (usually at an intersection) and the heater fan is on a low speed. You might want to see if that is your problem too.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I have been getting a similar noise from my Jetta when turning left and determined it was coming from my heater fan. I have not removed it yet to see what is going on but if I turn it off the noise goes away. It only does it when turn left (usually at an intersection) and the heater fan is on a low speed. You might want to see if that is your problem too.
I never would have thought to check that. That fan is usually on at low speed. Easy enough to check. I should have the car out for a run tomorrow night.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Are the CV boots torn ? That bit of info might help
Ya, on my to-do list.

I was rushed when I washed the car the other week so I didn't get a look. Had it out twice since then and of course it rained/snowed so it's all dirty under there again. (lots of dirt/sand still on the roads from winter)

I'm going to have to switch the wheels to summers pretty soon, so I'll be able to get a good look then.

kpenner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI 3.0L
I had a similar problem with my old Dodge Dakota, it was an interior mud/dirt shield next to the wheel that I had failed do properly put back into the correct spot and the wheel touched it when I turned only one way. Check all your shields around the wheel too.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
So had the car out last night. The issue was the same as noted above, but after it started raining (a ton of rain) the problem got way worse. (First rain the car has been in since last year.)

When starting from a stop it would make the noise. And when turning left "without power and just coasting" it could still be heard. Was louder if power was applied.

This got me thinking. A few years ago I got stuck in a massive rain storm. The road was like a swimming pool. I was even hydroplaning a bit. At that time when I started from a stop, or sometimes after changing gears there was a similar grumbly noise from up front under the car.

Now this current problem seems to get worse when the road is wet. Makes me think that water is getting into something (CV boot maybe) and making the problem worse. Without having looked closely at it yet (which I will be this weekend) I suspect more than ever that the issue is with a worn CV Boot that has likely gotten worse over time to the point where it's really noticeable now.

If it's a CV boot I'm just gonna replace the drive shaft assembly with a new one...boots and all. Might do both sides.

Does anyone know if there is an upgraded "better" version of the drive shafts for these MKIV cars? (more durable, lighter, etc.)

PS: It was pretty bad last night so not gonna drive it again until I at least have a look, or fix it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
............If it's a CV boot I'm just gonna replace the drive shaft assembly with a new one...boots and all. Might do both sides.

Does anyone know if there is an upgraded "better" version of the drive shafts for these MKIV cars? (more durable, lighter, etc.).................
Yea, it's not the boot, but it does sound like a possible bad CV joint.
I've read the best repair is OE joints on your axles with fresh grease. RaAxles aren't terrible though. Evaluate to be sure it is the joints and not a bearing or something else.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
:) Oops, meant to say joint not boot.

Already contacted Raxles and got a quote. They use new joints on OE axles.

Had a quick look at the area on the weekend. The boots look like new...which is odd for their age. Couldn't see any grease splatter or breaks in the boots. But there must be something. Especially as it gets a lot worse if there is a ton of water on the road. So I assume the water is getting in somewhere.

No odd wear on any other areas under there either, including the tires.

Too many family events (in-laws) to drive to this last weekend (used the GTI) and too tired to do much else. (getting old :rolleyes:)

Always seems to be something lately. I'm already booked up for next weekend. So... I made an appointment to have this local shop that I trust to have a look at it. They can pop it off to have a look at the splines and joints, etc.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Got it figured.

As I still wasn't 100% sure of what he problem was I decided to take it into the shop (Norden) for a second opinion. (Before spending a ton of money and time on replacing parts.)

We drove it around a few times , had it up on the hoist a few times, and tried a few things before figuring it out.

The problem was that the exhaust system was positioned a bit too far to the passenger side. When turning left under power the CAT would sometimes vibrate against the heat-shield under the car. Loosening the bolts securing the exhaust system and adjusting the one at the tail pipe was enough to properly center the pipe/CAT. After that...the noise was gone.
Would have taken me "a lot" longer to figure that one out by myself. And I really need a hoist in my garage...made things soooo much easier.

I think the recent changes to the front end suspension...including stiffer bushings...caused the problem to become much more pronounced.

Still not sure why it vibrated more when the road was really wet. Even when staring from a stop. But glad to have it fixed. :)

And again...I can't say enough good things about the guys at Norden Autohaus.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I did eventually get a hoist...sort of. I think Costco had these in a while back, so I broke down and bought a set. Works well. Takes a little time to get in place and such, but lifts the whole car. Has to use the weld points (where you would use the jack that comes with the car) for lifting though. Which isn't great if they are rusting. I'd like to use the lift points on the car...I bought the rubber bumpers that fit in those spots a while back...but they don't line up with how this jack works. Not a big deal though.

Worth checking out.