Dont forget to check your oil cooler seal!

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Replaced my oil cooler seal this past weekend. Very easy to do. Also resealed my vacuum pump and replaced breather tube on the block. I am now leak free. As for o-rings and rubber type seals, I use STP on them to lube and make install much easier. Dont forget to get the proper coolant also, I was not able to catch all of mine and needed about a pint to turn off low coolant light.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Jeremy,
The PN I posted is what I used on my passat. I sourced it from 1stvwpart.com

HTH

Tony

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
hrm those two seals have different sizes, I wouldn't have thought the seals would be different from the a3 to b4. 72mm to 55mm. Tony did yours have the two tabs?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
kooyajerms said:
I thought we had the same seal? Are the two any different? I noticed that my 2.8l oil cooler seal has 3 connecting tabs... Parts lists them as the same seal... Anyone even use a 3 tab seal? before i try to get this 2 tab to fit somehow...

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-oil-cooler-seal_201555.html
028 117 070 (b4 seal?)

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/german-oil-cooler-seal_42452.html
381 170 70 A (supposed to be everyone seal)

Jeremy
028 117 070 is for the AAZ engine.

038 117 070A is for the B4/A3/A4 top seal.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
at audi they match 028117070 to an early 2000 s4 oil cooler (which I'm trying to match it to, dieselgeek oil cooler) because 028117070b has a plastic insert that causes it not to fit.

I'm so confused. Tony said he used it on his b4 and it had 2 tabs, but the so-called measurements are different.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
kooyajerms said:
Tony said he used it on his b4 and it had 2 tabs, but the so-called measurements are different.
Jeremy,
But my oil cooler is factory....in a PM you mentioned the cooler you are using is from a 2.8l, in the 'larger oil cooler thread'.

I'm not calling you out, just pointing out that there is more information here.

Tony

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Right, the factory oil cooler for the AAZ and B4 I would think would be the same.

But from vendors they are stating different sizes,
72.2x3.2mm for 028 117 070 (supposedly left side minus tabs)
59x5mm for 038117 070A (right side, thicker and smaller diameter)

That's why I'm trying to figure out is that seal actually bigger, or is it just a vendor-default-information error.

That's wherein the confusion lies (pun intended?)

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
The seal for the top (they called it bottom for some reason) has a plastic insert that surrounds the threaded pipe. On my cooler the insert and seal are separate. If I were to use the one shown here, the one piece unit would hit the many prongs that are used for the connecting tabs (goes all the way around but are shallow). I would think that would cause a tear. That's why I'm wondering if the seal you used is bigger than everyone elses, meaning I could use it here. Impex is trying to figure it out. The dealers say it's the part number you used (for the dieselgeek oil cooler)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeremy,
Not too sure what else to go after, at this point. :confused:

Let's see what world impex can come up with.

Tony

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
they said just order it, but I'm gonna go to the Audi dealer and see one right now. Was yours flat or was it thick and round like a big noodle?

*EDIT*
I got the seal 028 117 070.

It is thick and flat on top and bottom, has no tabs. It is wider in diameter than the 038 117 070A seal (which is round like a noodle)

It fits the cooler, but had to pay 14 damn dollars at Audi for it.

Oh well at least this fiasco is over.

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Yes, mine was 'thick like a noodle', or large o-ring.

Tony

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
TonyJetta said:
Yes, mine was 'thick like a noodle', or large o-ring.
Funny how the chefs have food-related similies. Glad you found it Jeremy.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I used the oil filter o ring that mounts on this oil cooler I believe it was from a passat 4 motion gasser oil filter, so far so good, it has not leaked yet

IbizaRob

TDI
'98 Ibiza
Hi.

First-time poster here. I've been reading on here for ages & thought it was about time I get myself signed up.

I needed to change the filter bracket gasket (no11 on the diagram) as it is obviously leaking on my car and took a look at the seal while I was there. It was quite easy to do with the coolant hoses connected and the seal was fine. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the allen bolts on the bracket were really tight and difficult to remove. I completely rounded the head on the top one and didn't bother trying the other 2. However, looking at the diagram on Vagcat, it looks like the "top allen bolt" is actually some kind of choke/valve. Is this right? I hope to have another try at extracting the bolts in the week but will just have to keep toppin' her up 'til then.

Cheers,

Rob

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IbizaRob said:
The bad news is that the allen bolts on the bracket were really tight and difficult to remove. I completely rounded the head on the top one and didn't bother trying the other 2. However, looking at the diagram on Vagcat, it looks like the "top allen bolt" is actually some kind of choke/valve. Is this right? I hope to have another try at extracting the bolts in the week but will just have to keep toppin' her up 'til then.
No, the top horizontal bolt is actually a mounting bolt. There is a top vertical bolt that blanks off the temp sensor used on euro cars.

Not sure what the diagram is trying to indicate.

Tony

Last edited:

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
Oops

I bet I am the only schmuck who broke their dipstick guide tube trying to wrestle the oil cooler off. :eek:

I was trying to get it off without removing the coolant lines or the center pipe. I did it on my 1Z, but removing the center pipe is probably easier.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
I bought three from impex, I'll change them in both TDI's next oil change

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Does anyone have the place and part number for PD150 oil cooler
Seals for a alh motor?

JIMMY-JAMES

Veteran Member
TDI
Caravelle TDi conversion
IbizaRob said:
Hi.

First-time poster here. I've been reading on here for ages & thought it was about time I get myself signed up.

I needed to change the filter bracket gasket (no11 on the diagram) as it is obviously leaking on my car and took a look at the seal while I was there. It was quite easy to do with the coolant hoses connected and the seal was fine. That's the good news.

Cheers,

Rob
There is a little valve on the inside of the housing on one of the top holes (quite deep inside). I found it by chance when if fixed my leaks today. I used the van oil cooler in my T4 conversion which didn't have it but it was threaded to take the valve. Thankfully i still had the golf cooler with the valve so i fitted it to my housing. No idea what its for but i figured if it had it in the golf it must need it in the van.

PN 22 below.

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reminder to all to check and / or replace this seal!

Tony

scottp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf SportWagon (canadian car)
Here is a question. On my B4 Passat could I remove the big nut at the bottom (after I remove the filter) and remove the 3 allen bolts that hold the flange to the block and rotate it and get it out? That way I can leave the coolant lines in place. What do you think? Thanks!

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Others have done this. I tried on my A3 Jetta and just couldn't get enough movement of the oil cooler to pull it down to get at the gasket. I used it as a time to flush my cooling system.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Here is a question. On my B4 Passat could I remove the big nut at the bottom (after I remove the filter) and remove the 3 allen bolts that hold the flange to the block and rotate it and get it out? That way I can leave the coolant lines in place. What do you think? Thanks!
The stud the oil filter screws onto can be removed. Wrap in duct tape or double nut it, and screw out. With duct tape, I use a pair of vice grips with a pipe jaw to hold it.

scottp

Veteran Member
TDI
Others have done this. I tried on my A3 Jetta and just couldn't get enough movement of the oil cooler to pull it down to get at the gasket. I used it as a time to flush my cooling system.
Schultp, did you remove the 3 bolts that held the flange to the block and still were not able to manoeuvre it enough to change the gasket?

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
The stud the oil filter screws onto can be removed. Wrap in duct tape or double nut it, and screw out. With duct tape, I use a pair of vice grips with a pipe jaw to hold it.
I'll remember this for next time.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
Schultp, did you remove the 3 bolts that held the flange to the block and still were not able to manoeuvre it enough to change the gasket?
No.

Do as paramedick suggests. If you remove the center post this should allow much easier access to the gasket.

scottp

Veteran Member
TDI
The seal is changed! I was able to remove the nut then the nipple using needle nose vise grips. Then there was a gap of about 1/2" thatI was able to clean off the top of the cooler and insert the new seal. Thanks for all your help!