Oil ALH oil Filter housing relocation...help me understand.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
I'm working on a project which requires the relocation of the oil filter housing/cooler (ALH engine). So, I'd like to open a discussion to better understand the oil filter housing function and problems that I will have to address in the relocation.

One issue I am not clear about is the oil cooler/heater. I understand on a basic level that the oil is first heated via circulating coolant and then once warm the oil is then cooled by the same circulating coolant. I live in southern California where the temperature is moderate/warm for most of the year. How does this affect the oil cooler/heater function? Wouldn't warming the oil quickly from start up only matter for cold climates?? Once warmed up, how important is it to cool the oil? Basically, can I eliminate the oil cooler/heater all together?

Regarding the oil filtering, I've taken off and examined the filter housing and there appears to be a pressure valve at the port where oil enters the housing. What is the purpose of this one way valve? I assume it ensures the housing is always full of oil so on start up there will not be a delay in building oil pressure??

I'm asking these questions because ideally I'd like to use a oil filter relocation kit. The plan is to make a block off plate where the filter housing bolts to the block, tap it for supply/return ports and run hoses to a new oil filter location. After the oil is filtered i could run a flexible turbo supply line.

I am considering an Amsoil bypass kit...
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

Any thoughts, criticisms, warnings would be greatly appreciated. We all know how important oil is to our diesel motors, so I really need to trouble shoot this issue.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
INA already has a kit to achieve wht you want to do. Big money but it is a plug and play solution if you are looking to save time.

There are check valves, pressure relief valves, and specific orifices in the oem filter housing to ensure the oil is going where it should, staying where it should and protecting the system from starvation or over pressurization.

You can eliminate the oil heat exchanger and plumb in a simple aftermarket air-cooled, oil cooler.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Thanks Greengeeker. I did a few searches and can't find contact info for INA. Are they a vendor? still in business I hope. Anyone have contact info for INA?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Thanks Greengeeker. I did a few searches and can't find contact info for INA. Are they a vendor? still in business I hope. Anyone have contact info for INA?
I believe INA is a manufacturer/distributor of bearings and other parts for European cars. The TDI TB rollers and idlers are generally INA branded.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I'll chime in on the oil cooler question- even in southern CA the engine will run more efficiently when the oil is up to operating temperature, so the faster it gets to that point the better. All of the diesel engines that I have ever seen ran oil coolers of one form or another, some oil-to-air, some oil-to-water. Either way is good, and as Greengeeker said, in your case you could probably get away with an oil-to-air cooler and be good to go. You should have some type of cooler present though, because there is no other good way for the oil to actively shed heat from the turbo bearing and from the piston coolers. The oil pan will sink some out since it's cast aluminum, but it's not in the airflow, so it's cooling effect will be limited. The block is cast iron, which is not as good at transferring heat as aluminum, but some will happen as the oil splashes onto the cylinder walls from windage and piston cooler spray.

Also, INA is a manufaturer indeed, but I think that their products are sold to distributors who then re-sell them. I don't think that you can buy directly from them...

-Rich

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
The early A-1 diesels did not have a cooler, in fact when I installed the turbo on my 78 I added a cooler since the turbo heats the oil up so much. I hit over 280 degrees climbing a big hill on interstate 5 when I was out west before I noticed the gage and down shifted which started dropping the temperature, the EGT's were over 1700 and the Co. I bought the turbo from had said not to run the car over 1200 degree's, that the valves would start to melt if ran hotter for any time. This was back in 84 and I wish I had put a bigger oil cooler on the car. It was a 4 speed which was screaming at 70 MPH. Think our 5 speeds are reving high try dropping from 4th to 3 rd when climbing a big hill and need to cool the engine down. Would have been nice to have this Forum and the E-net back in those days.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
What if you have coolant heater? How would that factor into a relocation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
First off, can't wait to see that build of yours, I know a couple of us locally who have been drooling about it and were hoping to see it soon.

The sooner your temps are up, the better your engine is running, better fuel economy, less strain etc. Johnny_Law even put a coolant heater on his old wagon and he's in San Diego! I was planning on doing that too, but I think I ran out of space in the engine bay.

Everyone benefits from a car that is up to temp and your oil filter housing/heat exchanger accomplishes that. I've got a bigger oil "cooler" on mine too.

This thread was about relocation, but not the same block, so the piece won't work I believe. And it's NLA http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=303122&highlight=nls