New Tdi owner dealing with excessive smoke

Masakari

TDI
2000 Jetta 5spd
Hey guys, 3 weeks ago I bought myself my first vw tdi. This is my first diesel vehicle and I have been spending much time educating myself on my new toy! I bought a 2000 jetta, it has 350,000 km's on it. The work that's been done to it is a new clutch, new flywheel, new rear seal, the turbo has been replaced (with a used one mind you,) timing belt, oil change, intercooler was cleaning, and brakes. So far I'm loving this car, its a blast to drive.
Now onto the topic at hand... Yes I know diesel motors smoke and that's perfectly normal. I have done much research on this but I always seem to get mixed answers so that's why I'm writing up a thread. Under moderate to hard acceleration there is a pretty good blast of black smoke out from my exhaust. Normal casual driving conditions it seems fine, though when its dark I can see a tiny bit of smoke or something in people's headlights, its definitely more noticeable when its dark out. When maintaining speed it doesn't smoke only under acceleration.
I've had both my friends drive the car, whom have both had vw diesels so they are familiar with them. They both say the car drives very solid, sounds healthy and it pulls real well, both which asked if the car was tuned or had the injectors fiddled with(which I am not sure.) I have put around 1000 km's on the car now and today I checked my oil, and it was half way down the dipstick. I checked my intake tubing and I have a slight oil film in it (which I have read is typically normal,) and I did a boost test which the car passed. Just the other day while racing up the on ramp to the highway the car went into limp mode, but that's been the only occurrence. Other than that this car has driven quite strong. It starts very quick and idles smooth, and there are no leaks, it doesn't leave a mark on the road.
My main concerns/questions here are:
How can I tell if the car has been tuned, injectors or injector pump are stock/stock settings?
Any ways to further inspect where my oil is going? All the smoke im getting is black, not blue. My guess is the turbo
I took a video here of my driving to show how much smoke my car puts out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1vMzu6wIH4&feature=youtu.be
When I drive away its under normal acceleration, when I turn around I go WOT to about 60mph shifting at around 3500rpm. Then I come to a stop and accelerate up a steep hill. At 1:25 is when I step on it
Thanks for taking the time to read this and for the feedback!

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
A tuned tdi will smoke a bit on heavy take offs. I had a 02 beetle that could puff out a bunch of smoke if you would put a load on it. Same as with my diesel truck, the more you drive it you figure out your limits while remaining smokeless.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My tuned ALH doesn't smoke at all. Just depends on the level, etc.

Kind of an open ended response here, as it really just depends on several variables. If you compare it to a known stock, healthy ALH in good order, and yours is significantly quicker, then chances are it has an aggressive tune on it and that is why it smokes. It may also be an older tune which could perhaps be improved upon. Someone could have also swapped out to bigger nozzles AND tuned it or tuned it for an engine with stock nozzles and now it is simply overfueling. Or (and this depends on the circumstances of limp mode) you have a minor boost leak somewhere.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
1) ... Yes I know diesel motors smoke and that's perfectly normal.

2) I have done much research on this but I always seem to get mixed answers so that's why I'm writing up a thread. Under moderate to hard acceleration there is a pretty good blast of black smoke out from my exhaust.

3) Normal casual driving conditions it seems fine, though when its dark I can see a tiny bit of smoke or something in people's headlights, its definitely more noticeable when its dark out. When maintaining speed it doesn't smoke only under acceleration.

My main concerns/questions here are:

4) How can I tell if the car has been tuned, injectors or injector pump are stock/stock settings?

5) When I drive away its under normal acceleration, when I turn around I go WOT to about 60mph shifting at around 3500rpm. Then I come to a stop and accelerate up a steep hill. At 1:25 is when I step on it
Thanks for taking the time to read this and for the feedback!
1) Diesel motors do not "smoke" if they are tuned correctly for the mods. They will smoke only if you purposely make them smoke. They can have a slight haze depending on the lighting, but it will look different in different lighting conditions

2) Black smoke is a case of over-fueling. Either you are in the wrong gear when you step on it, your nozzles are fueling more than your turbo can support (air), or the turbo simply hasn't lit yet (because of the 1st point).

3) The haze in headlights at night is completely normal. Both my truck and car have that haze in headlights. It comes down to the lighting conditions.

4) Since you have a manual, the stock pump would be a 10mm, but many people will put the 11mm pump from the auto in there if they are modding for power. More fuel. This thread will help you to tell what pump you have:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397336

Injectors you really can't tell unless you pull them and see what they are or have them flow tested. There might be something on VCDS that can help you determine that as well, but I'd be unfamiliar with that if there is.

5) Are you starting in 1st from a stop when you're WOT? 2nd? If you get underneath the turbo lighting you will blow black smoke. If I forget I'm in the gear I need to be (IE downshift before stomping on it to pass someone) the car lugs pretty bad and will blow black smoke and be gutless. Completely operator error though.

Limp mode/boost issues are usually vacuum related (leak) or turbo adjustment related.

Masakari

TDI
2000 Jetta 5spd
1) Diesel motors do not "smoke" if they are tuned correctly for the mods. They will smoke only if you purposely make them smoke. They can have a slight haze depending on the lighting, but it will look different in different lighting conditions

2) Black smoke is a case of over-fueling. Either you are in the wrong gear when you step on it, your nozzles are fueling more than your turbo can support (air), or the turbo simply hasn't lit yet (because of the 1st point).

3) The haze in headlights at night is completely normal. Both my truck and car have that haze in headlights. It comes down to the lighting conditions.

4) Since you have a manual, the stock pump would be a 10mm, but many people will put the 11mm pump from the auto in there if they are modding for power. More fuel. This thread will help you to tell what pump you have:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397336

Injectors you really can't tell unless you pull them and see what they are or have them flow tested. There might be something on VCDS that can help you determine that as well, but I'd be unfamiliar with that if there is.

5) Are you starting in 1st from a stop when you're WOT? 2nd? If you get underneath the turbo lighting you will blow black smoke. If I forget I'm in the gear I need to be (IE downshift before stomping on it to pass someone) the car lugs pretty bad and will blow black smoke and be gutless. Completely operator error though.

Limp mode/boost issues are usually vacuum related (leak) or turbo adjustment related.
Interesting, if you watch my video, my car only really smokes from 2000-2600rpm really. After that it completely goes away, that's nice to hear that the haze is normal thanks. When im going WOT I give it about half throttle in first gear then full throttle in second onward. My car by no means is gutless or hesitant, it pulls consistently all the way through.

When I got limp mode that one time, the car didn't smoke at all, even under heavy throttle. I did a boost test and it checked out, I'll take the car to my mechanic friend and maybe do another test, ill check out my injectors then too to see what im running.

It is difficult to pinpoint what it can be like you said there are so many variables!