Crank but won't start after EGR change

H8GAS

TDI
2003 Jetta w/manual tranny
I had a leaking EGR on my 2003 AHL 5 speed manual.

Ordered a new one from IDparts along with an oil change kit, fuel filter, glow plugs, and a glow plug harness.

I changed everything without incident as far as I could tell with the EGR, glow plugs and harness. I did the fuel filter and tried to start the car to warm up the oil before the engine oil change. It cranks and cranks but will not start.

I hooked up VCDS and it had an error code

19561 - Valve for Intake Manifold Flap (N239): Open or Short to Ground
P3105 - 35-10- - - Intermittent.

I did some research on that and saw that it could be a frayed wire. Sure enough the wires between the firewall and the plug to the N239 valve were frayed through the loom One purple and on yellow with black stripe. I fixed those wires. The error code went away but the engine still will not start.

It cranks for a long time tries to start and then quickly dies.

I read about crud getting into the intake and then valves when cleaning the EGR. I did not try to clean anything I just replaced the EGR.

Does this sound like and EGR problem or one of the other things that I changed. I had the battery box and air fliter housing out so I could get the glow plug harness changed. I also adjusted my shift cables while I had easy access to them.

There are no error codes at this time on VCDS. The vacuum lines all seem to be hooked up and happy.

Thanks in advance.

BTW it is about 85F today so I don't see how the glow plugs could have anything to do with it from a pure functionality stand point

Last edited:

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Egr isn't going to cause a job start. Maybe something else got messed up in the process with a wire or something. But I would lean towards fuel bleeding first also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Did you fill the fuel filter with fuel? Are you getting fuel to all the injectors?

H8GAS

TDI
2003 Jetta w/manual tranny
I'm a jackass! I forgot to fill the filter. I'm back in business.
Thanks guys! I feel dumb but at least it was something little. Now I can go smog this thing.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
If you disconnected the battery don't go to smog yet!! You gotta let all the readiness monitors reset... drive for a couple hundred miles then go to smog.