www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 17th, 2018, 07:13   #7051
dsldan

You're probably right. At 360K and as rotted out as it is, it's probably done.
dsldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:02   #7052
thechoochlyman

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47.5 daily, 51.4 highway

Finally found a set of used Depo angel eye headlights on a facebook group and got them installed yesterday. Have to say the difference is quite amazing. One of the adjusters has been broken in my stock lamps since I bought the car, then I got into some black ice over the winter and finished off what was left on the driver's side light. I need to do some adjusting on these, but I can tell they are MUCH brighter. I'm very happy with them.

I'm keeping the stock lamps just in case I need them, and will probably try to fix them as best I can. All four mounting points are broken off the driver's side, but I have all the pieces.

1997 Passat 5 speed - No longer bi-tone
2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust • CCV/EGR Deleted • Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ • Autometer Gauges • Billet Stuff
Billet Coolant Flanges - Idler Pulleys - CCV plates - Window Guide Clips
thechoochlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44   #7053
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Inside the stock headlights, the reflectors are affixed with a ball and socket setup. Sometimes, these pop apart and nothing is broken.... just reach in the rear and pop them back together, and you’re back to normal.

Coincidentally, I just sold a set of stock lights to someone who had those Depos...

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:45   #7054
thechoochlyman

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47.5 daily, 51.4 highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Inside the stock headlights, the reflectors are affixed with a ball and socket setup. Sometimes, these pop apart and nothing is broken.... just reach in the rear and pop them back together, and you’re back to normal.

Coincidentally, I jut sold a stock set of stock lights to someone who had those Depos...

-Todd
It wasn't just popped out... I had it apart several months ago and the ball was actually broken off. Put on some JB Weld but it only lasted for a bit before coming back off.

I get why people may not like the look, but as far as lighting performance goes my stockers have never been this bright. I might even put in some relays later.

1997 Passat 5 speed - No longer bi-tone
2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust • CCV/EGR Deleted • Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ • Autometer Gauges • Billet Stuff
Billet Coolant Flanges - Idler Pulleys - CCV plates - Window Guide Clips
thechoochlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:42   #7055
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoochlyman View Post
It wasn't just popped out... I had it apart several months ago and the ball was actually broken off. Put on some JB Weld but it only lasted for a bit before coming back off.

I get why people may not like the look, but as far as lighting performance goes my stockers have never been this bright. I might even put in some relays later.
Saw a set of those Depot on a B4 in a JY a couple years back. I thought they looked quite nice for aftermarket. If the passenger side lamp wouldn't have had a broken lens I would have bought them just to have them.

I felt bad, it looked like someone had just casually destroyed it while walking by the car, there was no structural or body damage around the headlight assembly. I've seen the same ridiculous behavior in other JY's over the years where people just walk by a car and break stuff.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote