Odd Horn Problem

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
For a couple years, I didn't have a working horn on my '98 Jetta TDI. I replaced the fuse a long time ago, but when that didn't work, I moved on to other more important things.

I finally have some time to work on these frivolous things, and I replaced the relay and the fuse. The horn worked for a few minutes, then stopped again.

I'm thinking the horn is drawing too much current, maybe it has malfunctioned internally, and that required current is blowing my fuse? If there had been a short somewhere or a bad ground, I'd expect it to not work immediately. I'm considering buying a new horn. Do you think that would resolve my issue?

Also, what is odd, is all the years I had no horn functionality, my alarm horn still worked. I know the switch works, because when I replaced the relay and fuse today, the horn functioned normally for a few minutes. I'm running out of ideas.

What do you y'all think?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I usually just unbolt the horn and try it directly on a battery with a bit of wire

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Test the horn, as above. The alarm horn is a separate horn.

-Todd

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I know the horn works. It worked for a few minutes, until it mysteriously stopped working and blew the fuse.

I'm still not convinced it is a short somewhere, because I inspected the wiring and didn't see anything odd. Maybe the ground is bad. I could clean that up a bit.

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I've checked my horn and it's contacts and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I'm just going to buy a new horn. It's only $15-20 so why not.

So, is the alarm horn the "high" sound or is the other horn the "high" or "low" sound?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I've checked my horn and it's contacts and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I'm just going to buy a new horn. It's only $15-20 so why not.

So, is the alarm horn the "high" sound or is the other horn the "high" or "low" sound?

Jetta will have dual horns for the steering wheel but the alarm horn is a different horn mounted in the rain tray back behind the wiper assembly.

Steve

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I've already checked the grounds, wires, fuse, and relay. The switch works. Also, I know the horns work. Like I said in my original post, the horn worked for a few minutes. Please don't tell me to test the horns anymore. I know they work, but they must be drawing too much current for some reason. I don't want to check again and again and again. I just want replace the horns, and I don't know which ones to buy, because I've only heard my horn once in the last few years.

Last edited:

teitel39

TDI
2004 golf GL 4dr, 5spd, BEW
you may have to much current draw from your horns. I have seen fuses blow on radiator fans that start to run, Then when the current draw exceeds about 13 amps it will blow the fuse normal current draw is almost never above 8 amps for a cooling fan. If you have a Fluke multi meter check current draw with a new fuse.