Mk1 TT 4wd PD130 build

Callum2464

TDI
PD130 MK4 Golf, PD150 MK4 Golf, 225bhp BAM 8n TT(soon to be TDI)
This is the build tread for my Audi tt tdi that I am building.

So after much thought and Problems with with storage the project is under way.

Firstly we have the donor car. Mk4 Golf PD130 ASZ Engine with 142000 miles is:
Didn't Get a photo of it before i stripped it, just jumped straight in and starting ripping it apart

Engine out (usual oil leak from head on pd130's)

Lots of carbon and oil on the engine components

Plan is to remove every component from the engine and clean it and replace all the gaskets including the head gasket. before it goes anywhere near the TT

So while at work this week i have been cleaning a lot of parts turns out body shop thinners is amazing to clean engine parts.

This is the inlet manifold before i cleaned it

And after

Last edited:

Callum2464

TDI
Ok so after stripping the engine done I have ran into a few problems starting to wonder why I bothered*

First off when remove the camshaft have found one exhaust lobe to be worn flat and tappet is knackered

Posted: 03 Oct 2017, 20:25

Ok so after stripping the engine done I have ran into a few problems starting to wonder why I bothered*

First off when remove the camshaft have found one exhaust lobe to be worn flat and tappet is knackered

So went to the scrappies at the weekend and managed to find a pd with 120000miles on it and the cam was ok
FOR A Cam, shells, and a few vaccum pipes and a alloy inlet pipe for £20*
Not bad I thought*

Then I started stripping the head to reseat the valves ECT. Went to take the glow plugs out and found 2 of them where already snapped in head (nightmare) spent 2 hours getting 1 out and found it had been cross threaded in the head.
I've been considering what to do and think I'm just gonna get a new head.
From the same car at the scrappies.

So progress had sort of halted. Was looking for something to do. So cleaned up the block tonight and prepped for paint*

ok been a bit of a hold up on the project for a few weeks but now back at it*
Started stripping the TT

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Callum2464,

Cool. I did an ALH swap into a 2000 Audi TT FWD (non quattro) last year. Lots of fun to drive. There are a couple other folks that have done an Audi TT quattro swap. You might track down their build threads in case you run into issues.

A couple things I found useful: a box of ziplock bags and a sharpie to write down stuff when you take it apart; cellphone camera so you can see how things looked before taking it apart.

Eric

southernTDI

TDI
BEW
Awesome project man! I have a bew engine in my jetta. I notice that y'alls intake manifold is different from the american versions it doesn't have that egr craps on it. Wish I could find one like that to put on mine.

Callum2464

TDI
Callum2464,

Cool. I did an ALH swap into a 2000 Audi TT FWD (non quattro) last year. Lots of fun to drive. There are a couple other folks that have done an Audi TT quattro swap. You might track down their build threads in case you run into issues.

A couple things I found useful: a box of ziplock bags and a sharpie to write down stuff when you take it apart; cellphone camera so you can see how things looked before taking it apart.

Eric
Nice thanks for the advice

I am pretty far into the build just now should be updating this thread as soon as I get a chance

Just a quick question.
When it came to the rain tray wiring was the much difference i am going to get a few wiring diagrams tommorow and try to work this out

Any help much appreciated
Callum

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Callum,

What year is your TT? Mine was an early 2000 and the wiring diagram in the Bentley did not match the car. I had to work through the gas harness to figure out the wiring. If your's is a later 2000 (or later year), the wiring diagram should be in the Bentley. I also had the Bentley for the VW golf (my donor car). Take your time and double check everything.

You can use the Fuel Pump Relay in place of the 109 Relay. You'll have to move some wires around on one of the "ten pin connectors" in the cowl to use the Fuel Pump relay as 109 (trigger wire to ECM).

Eric

Callum2464

TDI
Awesome project man! I have a bew engine in my jetta. I notice that y'alls intake manifold is different from the american versions it doesn't have that egr craps on it. Wish I could find one like that to put on mine.
What do you mean by egr craps? I thought they can bolt straight off.
I have a clean spare one if you want me to post over?

Callum2464

TDI
Engine out!

Got myself a hybrid turbo

plan is now the engine is out i am going to remove all the bits for the engine bay, clean up all the small rusty patches and paint the bay.*

will try to keep this as up to date as possible. the diesel engine is still being built in another lockup as i am waiting on parts who knew it would be so hard to get correct valve stem seals

On to building the pd130 engine
I have clean up the cylinder head: before

And after

The engine is now bulit up with new
Two hole head gasket
Fuel pump gasket
Pd150 Head bolts
Cam cover bolts
Rocket bolts
Inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets
Basically all gaskets and seals in the engine replaced
I have left the injectors out just now as I have firad injector nozzles for them but have yet to get them fitted and calibrated