Head gasket 2.0 PD

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
I bought a passat that had the head gasket replaced. Was told they drove it a couple months and it started blowing out smoke again. Thought I might take a chance and replace EGR cooler, not luck.
Question is what is the correct gasket to use? Seems like there are 3 different thicknesses to use. Also I am wondering if the head bolts were replaced as well. But Head gasket is the bigger question I am wanting to reassemble asap. Any clues would be great.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Before replacing the head gasket, how long have you driven it since you replaced the EGR cooler. It takes a while to burn the coolant off. Are you losing coolant since you replaced the cooler? Did you install a used cooler? Did you bypass the cooler all together?

As for the head gasket, if they used a factory head gasket, on the left side of the head, the gasket sticks out a little I think between #1 and #2 pistons. It will have 1, 2 or 3 holes in it. Each one corresponds to a different thickness. If no t there, tou may be able to call the dealer and give them the VIN # to find out which ne you have. Not sure if the factory tracked it to that detail though.

I would chase the cooler thing a little longer though. It is rare for a head gasket to fail on a BHW.

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat tdi, 15 Passat TDI SE auto, 06 Sierra 6.6 DMax
I'd question more if they had the head re-surfaced or simply replaced the head gasket. If the head is warped, it doesn't matter what gasket they used or the head bolts...

Take wvztips advise on the cooler portion though but I disagree with the statement that it being rare - not trying to argue the issue. Just that there are low numbers of units sold and add in the destroyed units from the oil pump and age and mileage, there just isn't enough supporting data to say it is "rare". I have a confirmed failed head gasket due to warp and have monitored the egr cooler chase on the forum pretty closely. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
Sorry for the delay, have been waiting for some decent weather to tear into this. i did take this down the road and it was a cloud behind me. I drove it about 2 miles, enough for me to think the Problem was gone or still there. I took the egr cooler off the car I am driving now. I am going to remove glow plugs and see if my bore scope will show me anything.
BobZ, after I get it apart I will get a straight edge and check the head,
Thanks for the advice!! Hope to have this done in in a couple of weeks weather permitting.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
gtrosema, I would be interested to know what came out of your diagnosis.

Also any feedback on the head bolts to use if a replacement is warranted, OEM or upgraded ones (like these?)