Filler neck

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
I have put 300K miles on my previous TDI's so I am used to fuelling them up. My passat fuel hole is much smaller than my previous tdi's the standard diesel fuel pump only goes in an inch or two. Is this normal or did I get a gas filler neck? A truck stop nozzle will have no chance of being inserted into my tank for fueling.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I have put 300K miles on my previous TDI's so I am used to fuelling them up. My passat fuel hole is much smaller than my previous tdi's the standard diesel fuel pump only goes in an inch or two. Is this normal or did I get a gas filler neck? A truck stop nozzle will have no chance of being inserted into my tank for fueling.

Normal. Use the CAR pumps, not the truck pumps and even then the nozzle will only go in a little way. We haven't been able to use the truck size nozzles since the 2005.5 cars came out.

Bill

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Bill. The small hole makes it harder to see the fuel level when topping off the tank. I guess thats just the way it is.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Thanks Bill. The small hole makes it harder to see the fuel level when topping off the tank. I guess thats just the way it is.
I can usually get 1 to 1.5 more gallons in from the first burp, and it takes 4 or 5 burps to really top it off and let the foam settle. YMMV.

Another tidbit, you put a bib on a baby first before feeding... put a folded up paper towel under neath the filler before you insert the nozzle, to catch the over flow, instead of having to wipe up afterwards. ;)

Tdi Noobie

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6MT
This is my one major complaint about my JSW. Guess it will be about my ordered passat too. Sometimes in northern michigan all you can get is a truck stop size diesel pump. When I was driving to Moab a couple years ago, it was hard to find a car pump in the middle of Nebraska, Iowa, ect. Seems like all freakin truckstops!

You can get it in with the big pump, but it takes FOREVER!!!

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
I can usually get 1 to 1.5 more gallons in from the first burp, and it takes 4 or 5 burps to really top it off and let the foam settle. YMMV.
I read about people having to do this before I purchased mine at the end of May, but I've never been able to get more than maybe .25 - .35 gallons in after the pump clicks off. I'm assuming they have redesigned the tank and/or filler neck since the first cars were released. (Mine has a May build date).

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
I read about people having to do this before I purchased mine at the end of May, but I've never been able to get more than maybe .25 - .35 gallons in after the pump clicks off. I'm assuming they have redesigned the tank and/or filler neck since the first cars were released. (Mine has a May build date).
You just have to be patient, I have to pull the nozzle out of the hole and slowly pump a little at a time waiting for the foam to subside. I find a pump that has a even trigger. Not one that is all or nothing.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
You just have to be patient, I have to pull the nozzle out of the hole and slowly pump a little at a time waiting for the foam to subside. I find a pump that has a even trigger. Not one that is all or nothing.
I have. Mine doesn't take much more after the click. I can actually see it in the filler neck.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
The secret to a fully fueled tank is hand squeezing pressure... after the pump "clicks"... wait about 15-30 seconds to let the foam settle... then slowly squeeze the pump, watching how fast/slow the diesel is flowing... go slow, and you'll see your tank fully loaded with fuel. Be patient! This works no matter what kind of pump you are using...

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I always pump at the slowest position, then when I think I'm getting close to being full, I regulate the nozzle by hand as slowly as it will allow.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
My 98 TDI had a pressure release button in the top of the neck, do these?

You could push it to release pressure and it helped with the foaming when topping up.

Don

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
My 98 TDI had a pressure release button in the top of the neck, do these?
You could push it to release pressure and it helped with the foaming when topping up.
Don
No, the last VW with a VENT... was the MKIV. MKV and newer do not have a vent button and so cannot be 'ventectomied'.

Bill

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
To the OP, there are adapters for sale out there. BMW has had them for a while. I believe VW actually makes one as well.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Or the easy fix I posted in the Midwest section. Cut-n-paste.

Also for those of you buying the NMS (passat) you'll have the treat of finding there is a STUPID PROOF check valve in the fuel filler. ONLY the car size diesel nozzle with fit. AND ONLY THAT ONE. There are a pair of slide locks that get pressed outward releasing a metal flap (like a gas cars) that is LOCKED unless the correct nozzle is inserted.

There is a whole page in the owners manual to this epic piece of fail.....You can't road side fill, add additive, nothing. Unless......You break out the assembly. A screwdriver and a needle nose pliers works PERFECT for getting all the parts. Plus if yo dropped a piece it's no big deal. The ability to save you a** and ad additive? Priceless. Thanks M for letting me "fix" your car today.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW

Also for those of you buying the NMS (passat) you'll have the treat of finding there is a STUPID PROOF check valve in the fuel filler. ONLY the car size diesel nozzle with fit. AND ONLY THAT ONE. There are a pair of slide locks that get pressed outward releasing a metal flap (like a gas cars) that is LOCKED unless the correct nozzle is inserted.

There is a whole page in the owners manual to this epic piece of fail.....You can't road side fill, add additive, nothing. Unless......You break out the assembly. A screwdriver and a needle nose pliers works PERFECT for getting all the parts. Plus if yo dropped a piece it's no big deal. The ability to save you a** and ad additive? Priceless. Thanks M for letting me "fix" your car today.
I had no problem adding a half gallon of B99 to my tank before fueling today using a long funnel.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat

Was this on a 2013?

And this sounds a lot like what you get from Ford now that they dont put gas caps on their vehicles, but funnels or anything close will open that and Ford gives you a funnel as an accessory should you need to use a gas can.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
These need to be SPECIFIC or they won't open. It even list different techniques if the nozzle isn't accepted. Crap.......

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
For reference, here is a photo of the filler neck on my '13 Passat TDI SEL. Note the tabs at 10 and 2 o'clock, unless these tabs are depressed the metal flap won't open. If you've got the wrong size nozzle, you're SOL. There are openings in the flap, so some liquids can get by in a pinch, but it wouldn't be fun.

Personally I'd rather have it wide open with some yellow stickers... but at least this way I won't worry if I send my daughter out for fuel.

I now understand why others talk about seeing the fuel in the filler neck when filling up. Won't happen with this setup.

Last edited:

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
just in case

I was thinking what if I ever get to some fuel station say in Iowa... No diesel left in a tank and only fuel stations with nozzel for trucks... :eek: Then I left my office, called a dealer, will be picking up my adapter tomorow after work. $11.99 + tax. Hope never use it, however will always have it (just in case...) :)

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Kind of glad I got the 2012 and those lousy yellow stickers now!

I wonder how you are supposed to fill an empty vehicle on the side of the road if the nozzle from the fuel container will not open the flap????

rcm13502

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI 6MT
My first ever attempt at refueling my new 2013 Passat was a no go because the nozzle on the diesel pump at the station I stopped at wouldn't fit in the opening correctly so I had to leave the station without fueling. I would love to have this mechanism removed so that I am not limited in the number of stations that I can stop at.

AWTDI

TDI
none
Sheesh. You'd think VW would have thought this through a little better. jasonTDI summed it up nicely: "epic piece of fail"

I wonder if VW is planning to install these 'pieces of fail' in other models.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Sheesh. You'd think VW would have thought this through a little better. jasonTDI summed it up nicely: "epic piece of fail"

I wonder if VW is planning to install these 'pieces of fail' in other models.
Wonder if this device is a result of the ongoing HPFP issues in the MKV/VI cars? Maybe NHTSA told them to cut the misfueling claim BS, and while you're at it, make a device so people can't misfuel so you don't use that out every time an HPFP grenades.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
This is what happens with the mainstreaming of diesels into the market. They have to bullet proof them and do what they can to make misfueling idiot proof.

It is funny how until now with the new Passat they never needed this level of protection.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I was thinking what if I ever get to some fuel station say in Iowa... No diesel left in a tank and only fuel stations with nozzel for trucks... :eek: Then I left my office, called a dealer, will be picking up my adapter tomorow after work. $11.99 + tax. Hope never use it, however will always have it (just in case...) :)
They can spell Diesel in Iowa and they have the right size nozzles as well.

You have a 600 mile range in a your TDI so there is no reason to ever run out or even low on fuel. Plan ahead like you just did in buying an adapter and you will never need it! :)

Bill

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
An inexpensive solution to the "misfueling guard".

The outer diameter of an auto diesel nozzle is 0.940". 3/4" EMT (conduit) is 0.932" OD. Cut off whatever length you need as a 5ft piece cost <$3.00 at the local HD/Lowes. The picture below is my first version. Version 2 will be slightly longer with a slight bend.:)

Moved to correct thread