www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2014

TDIFest 2014 Discussion about TDIFest 2014 which had been planed for the Labour Day weekend (August 29th to August 31st, 2014) in St Louis, Missouri and has unfortunately been cancelled.

Closed Thread

Old June 5th, 2014, 03:59   #61
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

n1das look a like!
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:25   #62
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

The Announcement post should be made into one of those forum announcements that is on the top of each page... I saw it the one time in my new threads listing but since it is locked for comments, it hasnt turned back up. its too easy to miss that way.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Old June 5th, 2014, 05:10   #63
Wankel7
Veteran Member

I don't get it. On this forum we have people involved in all sorts of industries and folks that live in STL that could volunteer to make TDI Fest a go yet it is just canceled for some undisclosed reason?

They said they had to cancel because the forum couldn't afford to lose any money if it cratered? Lets start a collection then!

People help people here everyday with VW problems ..I mean they rebuilt a guys engine at the last fest! Why doesn't TDIclub ask for our help to get TDIfest off he ground?
DLC520, Audi Avant Rear Wiper, .658 5th gear, FX-R HID Retrofit, Philips DRL9 , Atlas skid plate, trailer hitch, ventectomy, Half FIS Euro Cluster, Frostheater, ceramic tint, Scangauge II, and EGR deleted.
VCDS -HEX/CAN & VagTacho available

Last edited by Wankel7; June 5th, 2014 at 05:13.
Old June 5th, 2014, 13:24   #64
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel7 View Post
I don't get it. On this forum we have people involved in all sorts of industries and folks that live in STL that could volunteer to make TDI Fest a go yet it is just canceled for some undisclosed reason?

They said they had to cancel because the forum couldn't afford to lose any money if it cratered? Lets start a collection then!

People help people here everyday with VW problems ..I mean they rebuilt a guys engine at the last fest! Why doesn't TDIclub ask for our help to get TDIfest off he ground?
Please read Fred's post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=416291

There are evidently some details regarding Missouri law that are causing the issues...
Old June 5th, 2014, 14:40   #65
romad
Veteran Member

Now maybe Denver, CO or Victoria/Vancouver, B.C. will have a chance?

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
Old June 5th, 2014, 16:15   #66
pparks1
Veteran Member

Well, this is a bummer, but my wife was concerned anyway with it being over Labor Day and the kids having to be in school on Tuesday.
Sadly, my 2013 Passat TDI was hit while parked by a driver who fell asleep and it was declared a total loss by insurance. This happened on 8/10/2016, so I didn't see a dollar from VW for either a fix or a buyback, as I was excluded from the settlement. My daily driver is now a 2016 Honda Accord EL-X sedan.
Old June 5th, 2014, 18:37   #67
Wankel7
Veteran Member

Illinois is two miles east. Did they look into moving it across the river?
DLC520, Audi Avant Rear Wiper, .658 5th gear, FX-R HID Retrofit, Philips DRL9 , Atlas skid plate, trailer hitch, ventectomy, Half FIS Euro Cluster, Frostheater, ceramic tint, Scangauge II, and EGR deleted.
VCDS -HEX/CAN & VagTacho available
Old June 5th, 2014, 18:39   #68
romad
Veteran Member

I HOPE you're not suggesting East St. Louis!

The fleet:
Old June 5th, 2014, 18:47   #69
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Now maybe Denver, CO or Victoria/Vancouver, B.C. will have a chance?
Yep, here's your chance.

I'm also disappointed that the big TDI Fest won't be held in St. Louis this year.

HOWEVER... Since I've already scheduled a bunch of time off from work around that weekend, I've begun investigating setting up a much smaller, local (or regional, depending on how out of control it gets) event for that weekend.

There isn't much time between now and the traditional Labo(u)r Day so it won't be anything big. It'll hopefully be enough that I can avoid the withdrawal symptoms of no Fest, pull something together to financially help Fred's, and do something I had wanted to do for the Boston TDI Fest, but wasn't able to at that time.

There's absolutely no reason that you, or anyone else, couldn't also set up a smaller, manageable mid-sized get-together in your own area. Whether to raise funds for the continued operation of Fred's, or as a trial /practice run for bidding on a future full-blown TDI Fest.

There are a LOT of Fred's members that can't make the week-long trip for a mid-continent fest, but could make a few hour day trip to a local event. There are also a LOT of members (maybe just me) that need to do something TDI that weekend.

So pull together a GTG in Reno, or Denver, or Erie, Chilliwack, Tuscaloosa, Minot, or where ever. Here's your chance.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Old June 5th, 2014, 19:06   #70
Dozenspeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: $10,457 per TB change

Hey guys, sad news, eh?

I wish to help shed some perspective on our situation here.

I believe this club is essentially a concoction of some passionate amatuers. It is not a professional business in itself, and its astounding size and caliber is only a testament to it's members. Wonderfully, it has reached further than imagined at it's inception but at the same time this leads into more responsibility in an ever-complicating world. So the way to look at this is as a properly pragmatic vetting of dealing with these issues for the future strength and integrity of the club. But these "legal and regulatory" matters are SO complicated and bureaucratical, they simply cannot be be sorted out before September, at BEST. And we certainly can't make plans or promises until everything is official. What matters is these guys are dedicated to going through these ordeals to keep us kosher with all authorites.

So while we're bummed out for a whole year, we'll come out better and stronger for it. This is just a big fat delay. A Fest vacation for fest makers! But I'm thinking STL 2015 for sure. With a LOT more time for me to plan and all the groundwork laid here already, I expect to push hard in a refreshed proposal as soon as the legal green light is on. Heck, I might even be able to get my original venue now.

So let's chin up and stay positive, I already thought circumstancially that this location at this time could brew a strong showing, but maybe that effect will increase with everyone jonesin' for an extra year!

Finally, it's not all Missouri's fault, it's just the other shoe dropping.

All right back to work for me.....

Do you have a MK6 Jetta SEDAN? (2011-2015) Contribute to our mileage thread here! Over 70 cars and 3.5 million miles of data!

Last edited by Dozenspeed; June 5th, 2014 at 19:10.
Old June 5th, 2014, 19:07   #71
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
There are a LOT of Fred's members that can't make the week-long trip for a mid-continent fest
I suppose a mid-continent fest would have been better than an incontinent fest...

Y.

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
Old June 5th, 2014, 19:10   #72
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
328D Sportwagen all wheel drive in Red! Investigating
I'd rather have that $45k in my pocket...
Old June 5th, 2014, 20:07   #73
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozenspeed View Post

Finally, it's not all Missouri's fault, it's just the other shoe dropping.

All right back to work for me.....
It might help others thinking of planning such an event to say exactly what changed the last week of May to kill it.

The fleet:
Old June 5th, 2014, 20:27   #74
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
It might help others thinking of planning such an event to say exactly what changed the last week of May to kill it.
Post 75 sums it up pretty well for the most part.
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Old June 5th, 2014, 20:38   #75
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Post 75 sums it up pretty well for the most part.
Ah, it was that post that I quoted; primarily because it DOESN'T say what happened. There have been allusions to Missouri's tax code but here he implies that it was not a fault of Missouri. So what was it? Was it something that might trip up other, non-Missouri locations? If so, there is a chance of the situation being repeated down the line due to this. Inquiring minds want to know.

The fleet:
Closed Thread