My Allroad Has Issues :-(

Biggles

TDI
2.5 TDi V6 180 ps
Hi.

Anyone able to offer any advice, suggestions, or other usefull comments please.

Recent Incidents

ESP disengaging, resulting in reduced power (limp mode?). This problem manifests as ESP dropping in and out on a 5 second cycle and only happened after short high speed cruising. Once this problem has started there is a noticeable misfire “burb” on a 3-5 second cycle. Sounding and feeling like going over road joining strips. This problem is re-settable by turning engine off and re-starting but returns once cruising speed has been reached.

Min Oil light would not reset after topping up. Took 2 days to reset its self!

General

Very, very poor performance from cold morning start. Very noticeable engine note change when cold at 2200rpm where power starts to come in like a “popping” sound followed by more engine noise and power.

When warm, still low power under 2200rpm although occasionally power will come in at 1800rpm, still low but better. (Can’t believe this is normal)

Upward gear changes in town traffic speeds result in next gear being out of power band. Again taking time to get to 1800 or 2200 rpm depending on how car feels that day. Makes town driving unpleasant. If it is gunned “boy racer style” and the revs are above 2200 rpm when the next up change is made then is seems to go acceptably.

Noticeable extra power delivery at 2700 – 2800 rpm and again at 3500rpm. i.e. it is not a smooth delivery of power, but noticeable banding.

Finding I have to change down when going up a gentle hill. Not what I would expect from a diesel.

Other occasional problems

No power when called for anywhere in the rev range and occasional momentary engine “burp” when accelerating or decelerating. This is very infrequent though.

Other.

Would like to know if drive train noise at high steering angles is normal. Also slightly notchy gearbox. Previous Audi technician said this was normal.

The burp referred to is as if the ignition is cut for a fraction of a second.

Attached are the bills for investigative work already done. The car was slightly improved after Belmont Motors work. I changed the MAF sensor but not much noticeable different except the occasionally power being available @ 1800 instead of the normal 2200rpm

I have read elsewhere there is a known issue with low RPM power delivery on this model, but can’t believe it is normal to be this bad. I have also read it should fly from start up.

At the moment I find I am hesitant to pull out in traffic, in spaces I would not hesitate in my Peugeot 406. I do a fair bit of towing. As the car is at the moment I would not even consider it.

Thanks for reading

Biggles

Last edited: