2005 Passat TDI using some oil???

2nd_tdi_4me

TDI
Passat GLS TDI, 2005, Stonehenge Gray/Anthracite leaterette
I recently purchased a new 2005 Passat TDI sedan. This is the second TDI vehicle I've owned. I traded a 2001 Jetta TDI sedan (that I bought new in 2001) w/75,000 miles for the Passat.

I read several articles on this web site suggesting that it is best to wait until 5,000 miles to do the first oil change, so that is what I decided to do for the new Passat. When the Jetta was new, I didn't know about tdiclub.com, nor the advice regarding the first oil change. On the Jetta, the first oil change was done at 2,000 miles, 5,000 miles, and then at 5,000 mile intervals. During the whole time I owned the Jetta, it never consumed a noticable amount of oil.

I just returned from re-fueling the Passat. After just 3,500 miles, the oil level was midway on the dipstick between the "min" and "max" levels, and it was necessary to top-off the oil (with 0.5L of the Castrol TXT-505.01 oil).

Is using this much oil during the first 5,000 miles normal, or should I be worried?

Thanks.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
It is fine no worries..... It will use a little bit.
Follow the recommended Oil change mileage and use the required oil.
The car is fine! Enjoy!

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Normal...I used .4 liters. It should decrease with time and break in, unless you have a leak. I also found a leak from where the ccv tube joins the air inlet tube, so part of my consumption was due to that. Follow the tube down with your left hand (engine cold) and feel for oil...you have to remove the top cover first. Let me know what you find.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Also, make sure your testing procedure is consistent. At the point of discovering the level was 1/2 down the dipstick mark, I would have let the car sit for a while and re-checked it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
0.5 litres in 6000 kilometers is nothing to be concerned about, particularly during break-in of a new engine.

Make sure you work that new engine hard for short periods (a few seconds at a time is fine). Seats the piston rings better.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Normal...I used .4 liters. It should decrease with time and break in, unless you have a leak. I also found a leak from where the ccv tube joins the air inlet tube, so part of my consumption was due to that. Follow the tube down with your left hand (engine cold) and feel for oil...you have to remove the top cover first. Let me know what you find.
Hey 2nd tdi, did you give it a try? If not, I have to ask why?