Which oil from ID parts?

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI 6spd
Hello all,

LOVING this forum so far.

About to order an oil change and service kit from ID Parts. Many choices of oil. What do you recommend I pick from them?
  • Total Ineo Long Life 504/507
  • Luqui Moly LongLife III
  • Pentosin Super Performance III
  • Castrol EDGE Professional LL03
  • Mobil 1 ESP 5w30

I don't care about the price differences. Want to use what's best for my '15 Sportwagen.

Thanks!!

mvoss15

TDI
2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (previous 05 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW TDI, 05 Jeep Liberty CRD)
I've always used the Castrol (what dealers use) or the Pentosin Super Performance III.

Daks

TDI
golf
Hello all,

LOVING this forum so far.

About to order an oil change and service kit from ID Parts. Many choices of oil. What do you recommend I pick from them?
  • Total Ineo Long Life 504/507
  • Luqui Moly LongLife III
  • Pentosin Super Performance III
  • Castrol EDGE Professional LL03
  • Mobil 1 ESP 5w30

I don't care about the price differences. Want to use what's best for my '15 Sportwagen.

Thanks!!
I've always had good experiences with LiquiMoli with my previous two VW's, but I've yet to do an oil change on the TDi

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
You are overthinking this decision too my friend. Its just oil. Its all synthetic. It all meets VW standards. I'd buy the Total because its cheapest or maybe the Liqui Moly if I was feeling wild. Your car is not going to know the difference. It will be happy that you've taken the time to put the correct spec oil in it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
You are overthinking this decision too my friend. Its just oil. Its all synthetic. It all meets VW standards. I'd buy the Total because its cheapest or maybe the Liqui Moly if I was feeling wild. Your car is not going to know the difference. It will be happy that you've taken the time to put the correct spec oil in it.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Any one of these oils will perform as desired in your engine. In less you have a used oil analysis of each of these oils in your engine I highly doubt you will see any difference

Last edited:
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI 6spd
LOL..the paradox of choice. There are some studies in marketing that show it is better to present customers with only 1 or 2 choices and you end up with a higher closing rate than if you overwhelm them with too many choices for similar things.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Any thing with the 507 spec on it and is easy to get. My dealer is close and their prices are also close to anywhere else I have found.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Winner.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
LOL..the paradox of choice. There are some studies in marketing that show it is better to present customers with only 1 or 2 choices and you end up with a higher closing rate than if you overwhelm them with too many choices for similar things.
Oh believe me I can relate. I am also an over thinker. That's how I can recognize the behavior easily in others!

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
i would go cheapest. only reason i chose castrol is i have a couple 1/2 full bottles from previous dealer oil changes on my mkvi

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought up all the oil and DSG kits I could when everyone started turning their cars in. I am good to go till around 150k miles or so on that stuff. Picked it up cheap too. $20 a DSG kit and $4 a bottle for oil. I love CL sometimes.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
cheapest, it has a big sump and 10K miles flies by.

If you don't change your oil twice a year you should have got a TSI (just saying)

I'd also recommend keeping a partial bottle in the trunk, just in case.

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE

If you don't change your oil twice a year you should have got a TSI (just saying)

I thought diesel wears better than TSI

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

Mine took more than 5 liters to reach midway through the hashmarks. I agree-go with low price oil that meets 507. Choose your flavor.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I'd eliminate castrol as a choice, the parts people at vw stores won't use it in their tdi's pentocin products have kept my b5.5 running and sounding like new with no cam issues.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m curious about the Castrol failures as well, because it turned out superb analysis in my first two UOAs.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
It's probably not the failures from using Castrol, its more about those who don't want to take a chance by using products with less than stellar reputation. Many pd engines had cam failures and had been serviced by dealerships using castrol. That may not mean anything as at the time those pd engines were new, 5-30 was the prescribed oil. not enough data to draw any meaningful conclusions.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have read, the factory fill in our ea288's was not castrol, but one of several, pentocin,total, and a couple others I don't recall. the fix prep called for oil change which meant we got castrol whether we wanted it or not.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Many pd engines had cam failures and had been serviced by dealerships using castrol. That may not mean anything as at the time those pd engines were new said:
We are not talking about PD engines here we are talking about CR engines and Castrol 504/507 oil. What failures do you know about in a CR engine related to Castrol oil?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
another thread here was started regarding oil consumption. If there is a defining difference between oils, it may be it will show in consumption amount during the 10k interval. All 507 oils are not created equal and at 5k they are not equal.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is some actual data, vice anecdote, on Castrol. First two OCI's in my car. 9K and 10K respectively. Car is stock with all emissions gear and EGR functional. No consumption noted. I did switch to Total Ineo for the latest fill (will post results when the time comes), only because it was cheaper from ID Parts.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
another thread here was started regarding oil consumption. If there is a defining difference between oils, it may be it will show in consumption amount during the 10k interval. All 507 oils are not created equal and at 5k they are not equal.
Well Mr Thundershorts go fart in your pants again and smile. I think Blue Hen's Blackstone report sez it all with Castrol 504/507 in a CR Engine.:p

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Blackstone looks good, bet it will be better with Total. I've been farting around with engines for over 60 years and have never found any pentocin products less than top quality but I can't say that about castrol.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Blackstone looks good, bet it will be better with Total. I've been farting around with engines for over 60 years and have never found any pentocin products less than top quality but I can't say that about castrol.
How much better do you want it to be? I will take your bet. You have to prove it as I have no dog in this fight.I use Ravenol VMP 5/30 in my 2014 Passat TDI. As others have said here all the VW approved 504/507 oils in a common rail TDI perform very well so pick your flavor and pick your price.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Where do you buy your Pentocin at? All i can find is Pentosin.