Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Mk7 Golf gas

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JerseyMike

TDI
2013 Mk6 Golf TDI, 2013-2017
Hi TDI I forums. New member, first post. Sorry for the length. Skip to paragraph 3 if you like.

I'm in the market for a new (used) car and have been agonizing over a Golf TDI or TSI. I am a former owner of a 2013 Golf TDI DSG and basically got back what I paid for it through the buyback. If dieselgate never happened, either myself or my sister would still be happily driving it. It had close to 50k miles at buyback and I basically never had any issues with it.

I'm currently rolling a 2013 manual base Mine Cooper (the DSG was good but I strongly prefer a real manual and will be sticking with that forever). It is a fantastically fun car but the ride is very harsh, it's incredibly loud on the highway, the manic driving character gets fatiguing, the tiny size is hard to live with as my only car, and I realize now that I prefer 4 doors.

After a bunch of test driving I have come right back to the VW Mk7 Golf. But what I am agonizing over is gas or diesel. I honestly can't decide. They both have their amazing points, and both their compromises. I can find both CPO within a 3 hour drive (it's manual or bust) for about the same price, all less than 20k miles, and in the exact colors that I love.

I created a whole spreadsheet to do the diesel cost advantage. I drive about 16000 miles a year, Jersey suburbs with not much hard core traffic. Factoring in the timing belt and fuel filter costs, it's about 4 to 5 years to break even on diesel fuel savings. The only reason I'm considering the diesel at all is because of that 162K mile warranty; I'm not dealing with that DPF and would drive the car basically until that warranty ran out, maybe a bit longer if the DPF still had life. I've driven both and like the driving character (and sound) of the diesel a little more, but that TSI is a great little engine too and has no timing belt or crazy expensive emissions controls, and I don't have to constantly worry about fuel quality or dumping in Stanadyne every time I tanker up. I also like the tech and safety features on the '17. I also ranked all the good and pad points of both with a point system, kinda like Top Gear, and the gas came out only slightly ahead.

Help my decide TDI club!

Last edited:

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Since you are only considering a manual transmission, I think you'll want the 6spd which is smoother than the 5spd . So you're looking at either a GTI ( enough room ?) or a 4motion gsw or Alltrack.

If diesel were priced at about the same price as gas, I'm sure the TDI would win hands down. With a tune it's a blast to drive and still gets much better mpg especially when loaded down.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
At 16K a year it's a tossup. I'd drive both and pick the one you like better. I know it would be the diesel for me, but you may feel different.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you loved your TDI and its economy, don't get a 4Mo, typically tanks average 28 hand calculated, best i've averaged was just over 30. The MFD is 7-10% optimistic.

At 16K/year I'd say test drive the TSI with 5spd and a GTI back to back. I think TDI payback is anyone doing more than 20K a year.

Don't let a TB or other maintenance of the TDI make your decision, the TSI 1.8t or 2.0t still have their issues.

But it's your money, the Mk7 is a great platform and you'll notice some improvements from your MK6 regardless of the power plant.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
I may have been mistaken...Aren't TDI all 6spd ?

That would give a edge over a 5spd TSI somewhat

slj333

TDI
2015 sportwagen s
There were really good prices on the GSW 4 Motion here last fall and the idea of awd was appealing to me being in a northern climate, but I was able to get a really good deal on a Certified TDI Sportwagen with a manual. The TDI is such a fun engine paired with the manual and the long extended engine and emissions warranty is really nice too.
I've found that FWD is plenty good here in Minnesota. We got 9 inches of snow yesterday and I was able to get around no problem on the city streets that I drive.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Prices of the GSW 4Mo and Alltracks will prob still be heavily discounted even on '18s if you shop around, the new Tiquan is prob killing the sales of the regular old wagons.

Last fall 6-8K off MSRP wasn't unheard off for Alltracks.

JerseyMike

TDI
Thanks TDI club. What do you think is a fair price for a certified 2015 Golf SE TDI with about 15000 miles? The 2 I am looking at, at the same dealer, are asking $18000. Would $17000 be fair?

Also, I hate the 17" wheels on the SE. I'd prefer VW stock 16". Is it safe to swap the SE wheels for the S (or similar basic VW 16s) onto the car with no running issues?

I wouldn't mind saving money with a base S but I can't find one around me in manual that's in line with my color preferences.

JerseyMike

TDI
Is there anything wrong with choosing the diesel because I like the driving character of it, even though I technically don't drive enough miles to justify it?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Of course not. The only thing I'd avoid doing with a modern diesel with a DPF is only drive it on short (less than 10 mile) trips. As long as you get on the highway with some frequency to make sure regens take place the car will be fine.

JerseyMike

TDI
I definitely don't do that. I'm on suburban/country roads every day and the highway at least 2 or 3 times a week. I travel for work so my car would sit at the airport parking lot for up to 3 days at a time, is that ok? I had the same job when I had my last TDI and as far as I could tell that wasn't an issue.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Regardless of what car you choose, I just wanted to let you know that, for a chain, your subs are excellent.

I'll have a #13, Mike's way.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think my '02 has spent more time in airport parking garages than anywhere else. I don't travel much these days, but I'm still a die-hard when it comes to having a car at the airport. Sometimes it would sit for two weeks. Never was a problem. A new TDI won't be, either.

JerseyMike

TDI
I might go with the diesel. Even though I only drive 15 or 16 thousand a year right now, I *might* be changing jobs in the next 6 to 12 months and would likely be driving more. I also have a plan to do more road tripping once I have something that road trips better than a Mini.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
i will put in my .02 here.. we had a 16 jetta sport M5.. I HATED IT. The clutch was awful and it felt like it was always in between gears. This isn't to bash 5 speeds - prefer them in a wrangler vs the 6.

The TDI with gobs of down low torque and 6 speeds rarely do i feel that I cannot find the right gear. not to mention the 6 speed/clutch combo is much more pleasing to drive

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
I'm in the same situation, and right now I have two virtually identical cars.

TDI is a 2011 Lava Grey A3 Premium Plus with DSG and 45700 miles
Gas is a 2013 Lava Grey A3 Premium Plus with DSG and 42,200 miles

Guess which one I like more? Of course, the TDI.

Now I regret buying the Gas version, even though the buyback will net me 3 grand

Anybody want to buy my A3 gasser?

JerseyMike

TDI
I was able to drive both yesterday back to back and I certainly do like the TDI more. The shifter does feel less "notchy" with the 6M but the 5M wasn't bad (it's smoother than my Mini, which is surprisingly notchy and clunky for a "sporty" car). It's just a matter of how much I want to spend on price vs trim level vs mileage. I could go 2 hours away for a S with 41000 or drive 4 hours for a SE with 14000. I know, I know, the lengths we go to for the perfect car. The same dealer with the 41000 mile car also has the used gas model I'm interested in. I'll probably go with the S; it's several thousand less and closer to me and I like the color better.

It's so sad what VW did with this emissions scandal. They really ruined a great thing. I hope someday they reverse their decision and bring TDI back. Done right, it could be a success. They should bring the smaller 1.6 TDI here and beat Chevy on highway mpg. Also put the DPF in a position that makes it as easy and inexpensive to replace as possible, and take a page from Toyota and give a longer warranty on emissions components. Probably just a dream though.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
i flew to Illinois to buy our SS.. so i am with ya there. When people are shocked i did it then scoff at the idea of going a few hours to save a thousand or two i think man my time must not be worth enough!

There was a manual SS at carmax out west i posted on the SS classifieds as they weren't charging the SS manual premium. already gone! apples and oranges i know from here, i love them both in different ways.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Is there anything wrong with choosing the diesel because I like the driving character of it, even though I technically don't drive enough miles to justify it?
Nope. I just did the same thing. I justified it by it being the car I like better. Plus the TDI will typically hold its value better than the gasser version. And anyone who wants a MK7 TDI in a few years is going to be shopping 15's only. Someone who wants a TSI is going to be shopping 15-20's with way more cars to choose from. If you get a manual its rarer still.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
anyone who wants a MK7 TDI in a few years is going to be shopping 15's only
Great point, and if they find one that's five years old and has 60,000 miles, it'll still have six more years and 102,000 more miles of warranty remaining.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Agreed with Kite, there's noting wrong with any choice you make as long as it's your choice and you've thought it through. People daily drive Mustang GTs every day, cause it's their choice and they justify it.

I think one thing that was a disservice to TDI's were those that bought to save money, but hardly drive struggling to get 5-8K a year and then complain about MPG on their 2-9 mile trips.

But 16K is still nothing to sneeze at.

JerseyMike

TDI
I think I narrowed it down. It seems that manual TDI are in demand more than DSG and are selling for more. According to multiple salespeople, because they're somewhat rare and are preferred by enthusiasts, they're selling faster and fetching higher prices. Example, one dealer has a base TDI coming in that I like, and it's manual. Another dealer much closer to me has an identical car (different color) sitting on the lot for a while with a DSG and half as many miles as car #1, and they're asking almost $1000 less. I prefer manual but I remember kinda liking the DSG. It's a conundrum for me. Go for the great deal/fewer miles and re-learn to love the DSG, or pay more for more mileage, but a stick? (the dealer for car #1 is offering a very good amount for my trade in, so that knocks down some of the $1000 savings with car #2).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you think you want a manual don't get the DSG. You'll always feel like you settled. The DSG isn't a bad transmission, but the car still only has two pedals. Just not the same. And even if it costs more initially, manual TDI values over time indicate you'll get it back.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
seconded!

that is unless your wife says otherwise :)

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I've only bought manuals in the past. I couldn't find a stop-sale GSW in a manual so I went with the DSG.

Since my wife is the primary driver of wagon it was less of an issue going with the auto. She didn't care either way.

Now that I have lived with it, I am not sure I would have gone with the manual. The DSG is such a good transmission. I also have a bummed left knee that can get aggravated so that helped.

Bottom line is that I doubt you'd be disappointed with the DSG. It's easily the best auto I've driven.

I agree 100% that you'll get more for a manual down the road.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Mike, it’s time for you to make a decision, lol. You’ve milked this long enough. :D