Buyback - Radio and Wheels

tdigorilla

TDI
'12 TDI SE DSG (Black/Beige)
When I sell back my 2012 TDI Passat, can I turn in with no radio installed and the existing wheels (rims and tires) changed to four spares?

I had aftermarket wheels and rims and would prefer to keep.

I also want to see if I can move my 2012 TDI passat radio which has a bluetooth phone button on the radio to my 2010 VW cc sport.

In short, I would turn in very driveable with 50,000 miles but a few thinks missing. Appointment is set for mid-March.

Thanks!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The wheels shouldn't be a problem; the radio might be. Seems to depend a lot on the individual buyback rep you get.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'd add that if the radio specifically factors into your buyback calculation, you should leave it in, or have a suitable aftermarket replacement on-hand.

tdigorilla

TDI
I'd add that if the radio specifically factors into your buyback calculation, you should leave it in, or have a suitable aftermarket replacement on-hand.
I can't find where it says the radio is a factor in the buyback. For example, if the radio / head unit was stolen the car is still fully driveable and this is what I understand is the factor, combined with the mileage and specific model to arrive at the buy-back amount.

I plan on investigating if I can turn the car back in with an aftermarket radio unit installed that I have on hand as I would like to use the RDS-510 unit in an older 2010 VW CC that I have confirmed will fit correctly in that car.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I can't find where it says the radio is a factor in the buyback.
Having a nav system, for most cars, affects the buyback value. The nav system is part of the radio. So, if your car had a factory nav system built into the radio, and you took out the radio, you could be in trouble.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Having a nav system, for most cars, affects the buyback value. The nav system is part of the radio. So, if your car had a factory nav system built into the radio, and you took out the radio, you could be in trouble.
Right. In my case, it didn't matter because I had an SEL and thus the nav system didn't increase or decrease the buyback amount. In the case of an SE with Nav, though, it does.

If OP just had a standard, non-nav radio, then it shouldn't matter.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Isn't it assumed that a NAV radio is part of the SEL bundle? If so, and you de-contented the radio, would it really qualify for a SEL buyback payment?

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
If you leave a hole in the dash, that might be construed as "stripping" the vehicle by some buyback reps. Why not just install the radio from the cc sport back into the Passat? I doubt the buyback rep is going to check your option list.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Isn't it assumed that a NAV radio is part of the SEL bundle? If so, and you de-contented the radio, would it really qualify for a SEL buyback payment?
I swapped in a non-nav HU and there was no issue. It wasn't even connected because I ran out of time. I had removed my RNS-510 forever ago and replaced it with a top-of-the-line Pioneer HU and I was sure as hell not leaving that in.

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
wish i didn't use my gift card to buy tires 5 months ago. Spent 700 on it and drove about 5k miles on it.

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
wish i didn't use my gift card to buy tires 5 months ago. Spent 700 on it and drove about 5k miles on it.
I did the same but the new tires and TDI aluminum wheels will go on the wife's gasser sportwagen while the steel wheels / covers and worn original bridgestones go back with the TDI. VW is not paying for the clear bra and window tint on the TDI so the wife's car gets an upgrade....

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
I did the same but the new tires and TDI aluminum wheels will go on the wife's gasser sportwagen while the steel wheels / covers and worn original bridgestones go back with the TDI. VW is not paying for the clear bra and window tint on the TDI so the wife's car gets an upgrade....
well whoever ends up with my car is gonna be stoked. i installed a Curt hitch also. It was pain in the ass to install and i am just gonna leave it for buy back.

anyone in s.cali want A3 wheels with practically brand new tires? willing to trade for your steelies plus a few hundred bucks? Let me know.. i gotta turn in my car on March 3rd.

tdigorilla

TDI
So have we confirmed that you can keep the OEM rims if you put spare tires or generic alloys on the car for the buyback?
I too am interested about swapping out the OEM alloy wheels on my 2012 Passat SE with tire/rims from four spare tires. Tires still have about 90% tread left.

Anyone know where to buy extra spare tire and rims to fit the Passat?

I bought a used RNS-310 HU from eBay for $20 that will fit my radio swap, so I will be turning the car back in with a functional radio, just not the OEM.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Wheels are wheels, though coming in on four doughnut spares looks pretty shaky to me.

If somebody questions why you do not have factory original wheels, just tell them that they all got damaged on potholed roads, and these are the ones you got to replace them.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
If you have a tune on your car, does Malone offer transferring it (for a fee) to another vehicle (VW or other)?

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
turn in wheels and tires

So have we confirmed that you can keep the OEM rims if you put spare tires or generic alloys on the car for the buyback?
Mine had four steelies and bald barn tires. No issues. They paid me for a car with 82,000 miles with no adjustment for my 4 brand new Michelins.

TDIsaver

TDI
Multiple
I too am interested about swapping out the OEM alloy wheels on my 2012 Passat SE with tire/rims from four spare tires. Tires still have about 90% tread left.
Anyone know where to buy extra spare tire and rims to fit the Passat?
I bought a used RNS-310 HU from eBay for $20 that will fit my radio swap, so I will be turning the car back in with a functional radio, just not the OEM.
Craigslist.

TDIsaver

TDI
Multiple
Yes.

It has been done successfully. I already posted about it on here....

There is some risk that you will be denied buyback though for being a stripper / a-hole.

I took the risk and it worked for me so i think odds are in your favor. You also have to be ok with being an a-hole.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
Also probably helps if you don't go out of your way to call attention to them and just generally be as polite and friendly as possible at turn-in.

-T.

D3R3K

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2011 Jetta, 2011 JSW, 2012 Jetta, 2012 Golf 4 dr
I returned my last one on spares.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
My Wife has a 2010 CC w/No Navi, think anyone will notice if I swap out the GPS Radio out of my Golf before giving it back?

Just bought good runflats not long back for the Golf and her CC needs new tires, thinking of seeing how her car looks with my rims.

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
so my buddy wants my tires (which are practically new). You don't see a problem with coming to the buy-back with mis-matched bald tires right?

TDIsaver

TDI
Multiple
so my buddy wants my tires (which are practically new). You don't see a problem with coming to the buy-back with mis-matched bald tires right?
As long as it's not raining/snowing. And if they take cars with 4 donut spares, why would you think they would care about the condition of tires?

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
As long as it's not raining/snowing. And if they take cars with 4 donut spares, why would you think they would care about the condition of tires?
They could have easily say no to the guy that turned in with spares. Seems like blatant attempt at stripping the car. Yea, i know bald tires shouldn't matter.. just making sure i don't get rejected during buy back.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
I think you should spray that bright yellow speed decal black and you should be good to go :)