Flashy glow plug light

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Oh boy.....

So to it coming home from the nascar truck race, my glow plug light started flashing. No immediate sudden loss of power, at first. After about 500 feet, engine sputtered to a stop, battery light came on, check engine light came on. I'm thinking, crap. I know Passat HPFP failures aren't too common, am I going to be one of the treasured few? But I've got over 300 miles since the last fill up. If it were going to fail, it would have done so before now.

So I get it to the shoulder and I try to restart it. Starts right up with no lights or warnings. That's odd. If it were HPFP, I know it wouldn't be running right now. So I blip the throttle, and there they are... The lights are back. The engine shuts off.

Is that diesel fuel I smell? Is that steam (or smoke) coming from under the hood? Sure enough the answer to both is yes. But because I am on the side of the freeway where Las Vegas drivers are inconsiderate a**holes, no one is giving me room and buzzing past my door. So I am staying inside the car.

AAA shows up, and suddenly with flashing yellows, drivers are giving room. So I get out, and sure enough there is a wet spot on the ground the size of a basketball. So he tows me to my dealership and he leaves. I pop the hood and take off the engine cover and see the sound insulation is damp about the size of a grapefruit. Looking over the fuel lines, it looks it is leaking from the hardline where it attaches to the fuel rail.

This is going to be interesting.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
Hope you get it sorted out soon. LV is certainly not the only place with a plethora of a**holes I can assure you. At least they moved over when an emergency vehicle had it's lights on. Don't try this around the Boston area, even with flashing lights.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Hope you get it sorted out soon. LV is certainly not the only place with a plethora of a**holes I can assure you. At least they moved over when an emergency vehicle had it's lights on. Don't try this around the Boston area, even with flashing lights.

Where I live, tow trucks etc with their flashing lights are to be given the same as police or other emergency vehicles, by law! Slow down or move over!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
keep us updated, yours is the first of this type of breakdown that iv seen- I wonder if the fix software also bumped up the rail pressure?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So... As it turns out, it was just the fuel line that goes from the high pressure pump to the fuel rail. Exactly what I thought it was. Just a fluke. Pretty sure its not something that anyone else need be worried about.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
+1 on the update, man that's like 30,000 PSI- the fuel spray didn't cut threw anything around it did it? Glad the diesel mist didn't hit your DPF :eek:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Update #2...

It has done it again. I think it is a different fuel line though. This time I am 300 miles away from home, my brother and two nephews are with me, and we all have to be home tomorrow for work or school.

I am REALLY starting to lose confidence in this car.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I'd be suspicious of the fuel pressure regulator (#9 in your diagram) or fuel pressure sensor (#11) since this is recurring. Did you replace the previous line yourself, or did the dealer? If dealer, I'd ask them if they checked the system pressure.