DEF useage

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
We just took in our 2015 Passat SEL TDI for it's 10k service. The adblue light came on indicating 600 miles before "no start". We were withing 5 miles of the dealer at 10326 on the odo. We got this car last May, NOS, so it's had the 1st fix. Our 2013 Passat SE TDI never had the low adblue light come on at about 10K so I guess the 15 is using a bit more DEF but still good for 10K.

We love the new car as much as the old one, no issues except the battery died within a few months of delivery. VW Care gave us a tow, new battery and a $100 gift card for our trouble. Fuel usage seems similar to the 13, perhaps a bit lower in the winter.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
13K Still on dealer fill of DEF on our NOS April '15. The dealer did the first oil change back in Dec, but didn't indicate they filled the DEF tank as I believe it's oil change and tire rotation only.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
DEF usage can vary wildly depending on a lot of conditions. I'd not lose much sleep over this, however I would perhaps keep a sealed jug on hand at home (in a place that is not subject to temp extremes) just in case the warning comes on for you well before a service interval is due.

I'd probably also top it off before setting out on any long (1000 miles or more) trip if you are within a few thousand miles of the next service interval.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I always put in a 10 quart jug of DEF when the O&F are changed. All but one of those times it's taken the whole jug, the other time a few ounces wouldn't go in— so the usage on our '13 Passat seems to e pretty consistent at 10 quarts / 10K miles. However, as I'm around 1400 miles from the 70K oil change, and getting ready for a trip that'll about get us there, and I have a jug on hand, maybe I'll go ahead and put that DEF in before we start out. The car will almost certainly be turned in before 80K anyway. Thanks for the tip, Oilhammer.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
DEF usage can vary wildly depending on a lot of conditions. I'd not lose much sleep over this, however I would perhaps keep a sealed jug on hand at home (in a place that is not subject to temp extremes) just in case the warning comes on for you well before a service interval is due.

I'd probably also top it off before setting out on any long (1000 miles or more) trip if you are within a few thousand miles of the next service interval.

good points, I can pick up a jug locally at Wallyworld.

I was just wondering if others noticed a bit more consumption of DEF with the 15 MY verses 12-14.

sleep will not be lost over this

oilhammer

TDI
At this point it would be hard to say, due to Dieselgate and the subsequent modifications made. Any track records of any consequence are likely pre-fix on the CKRA engines, and the CVCA is pretty new and rare in addition to a pre and post-fix difference.

Since the whole "cheating" deal revolves around NOx, any fixes on SCR equipped engines in pursuit of lowing NOx will absolutely mean increased DEF use. I would also gather that a lot of the 2015 cars in the mix for data points will have likely been fixed before they were even sold, so they have no pre-fix data to compare.

Plus, on some cars, there is another part of the fix forthcoming (not sure if it applied to either the CKRA or CVCA engines, though).

Since the CVCA engines were "less" cheaty than the earlier engines, I suspect they were already running a higher DEF dose anyway.

Just need more data to really get a better idea of what trends are out there on this.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
Again more good points oilhammer. Since we bought our newer Passats, not our B4, we've had them serviced at the dealer as the 1st 3 services were included for our 13 that we sold back at 38K miles and we just had the 1st included one done on our 15. I've never added and DEF personally. The only "reminder" message we ever got was Tuesday on our 15 as i was driving to the shop. Once I start filling the DEF myself I'll keep track of it.

Thanks for the insightful comments.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have 20k post fix, def usage seems about the same, the light comes on a week or so after the 10k oil change. I only add the wally world 2.5 gallon jug at a time and it lasts almost exactly 10k

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat just gave low adblue warning this past weekend, just shy of 15K on it from the dealer fill when we bought it last April.

No bad consumption.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm at 12k since I fed it 2.5 gallons post fix, not to shabby :D

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have 20k post fix, def usage seems about the same, the light comes on a week or so after the 10k oil change. I only add the wally world 2.5 gallon jug at a time and it lasts almost exactly 10k
This is what we have been running since our (unfixed) Passat was new; I just add the Rural King $6.99 10-quart jug at the time the OC is done.

dzampi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
DEF usage skyrocketed after the fix on my '13 Passat....before the fix I could go two oil changes before filling up, now I'm barely making it for a single oil change....same driving routes an conditions....

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DEF usage skyrocketed after the fix on my '13 Passat....before the fix I could go two oil changes before filling up, now I'm barely making it for a single oil change....same driving routes an conditions....
My understanding of the fix has always been that it would be accompanied by a significant increase in DEF usage. This is just one item on the list of reasons why we're turning our Passat in rather than fixing it.

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, every post you make you remind us of that. ;) We get it.

You can also UNfix the car, and use ZERO DEF, forever. :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

def was 2.79/gallon at a truck stop 5 gallons or about $14 every 10K, wow the price we pay!!

I prob used about $10 worth of windshield washer fluid this past winter.

I'm amazed at how little DEF our 15 used in the first 11 months of ownership, maybe the Gen 2 usage is dramatically different.

dzampi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
My understanding of the fix has always been that it would be accompanied by a significant increase in DEF usage. This is just one item on the list of reasons why we're turning our Passat in rather than fixing it.

No complaints here just stating the obvious...i'm keeping mine, happy with the car even after fix....looks like you are turning in yours....maybe time to leave the forum??:confused:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>....looks like you are turning in yours....maybe time to leave the forum??:confused:
Why, thank you for noticing! And, believe it or not, I had thought that after we turn the diesel in, there will no longer be a reason to visit this forum. So, when the time comes -sometime later this year- I will certainly revisit your helpful suggestion. But in the meantime, you're just going to have to put up with me.....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ROARRRR!!!!!

I still like the guy who has a Toyota Avalon hybrid that hangs around.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
he has a leaf as well, I think if we were all in a bar we'd get along pretty good with the same overall interest in economy, but yeah- I love my Passat- getting it ready for a 2,500 mile round trip to Southern cali at the end of the month, I'm at 112K and going to drive 'er hard down I5 with many items on the car at the end of there lifespan such as brakes, water pump, alt and T belt ect. wish me luck :eek: