Coolant/Engine Temperature Sensor

daxjd

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta III, 1998, White
I've been having the usual starting problems for the longest while (since I've owned the car, anywaz), and I've performed the normal procedures in trying to deal with this problem (check the glow plugs - they're fine, change the wire harness, change the glow plug control unit, change the temperature sensor, etc) with no luck.

My local mechanic thinks it may be an electrical problem and is currently trying to locate the wiring diagram for this car (1998 VW Jetta TDI). In the meantime he unplugged the sensor.

What this does is basically the glow plug light comes on for approx. ten seconds everytime I turn the key no matter if it's cold outside or not, and then the car starts just fine after that.

My question is: Will having the sensor unplugged for any length of time cause any hardship to the engine or any other components in the car? Your input is greatly appreciated.

furfurfur

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Audi A6 2.6 V6
AFAIK the only thing you'll be hurting are the glow plugs themselves. They will just burn out quicker than before, as they are being used more. I can't think of any reason why this would harm anything else - as long as your battery is in good condition there shouldn't be any problems.