2003 Jetta TDI hard start

howiedigit

TDI
05 Passatt TDI ,03 Golf TDI,05 Jetta TDI
I had a 03 Jetta TDI towed to my shop a month ago, problem was no start,:mad: I held it to the floor and cranked a few min. and it started and ran fine, .It was hard start all the time.. I rechecked the timing , I had done a complete service including timing belt about 4 months ago. all was good, I went ahead and cleaned out the intake manifold and put in a new EGR valve. was plugged up good, however nothing changed. so I took it to the VW dealer, a few hr,s later they called and said it needed a new injection pump, Like $1300 worth. they told me the fuel was draining back out of the pump, causing it to start hard. I,ll get to the point, I fixed the car for under $20.00. I installed a one way valve twards the tank from the fuel filter. I got the idea fron a John Deer 5220 tractor that would not start, The one way valve in the fuel line was faulty, so I went to the John Deere dealer and got another one of those valves and put it in the jetta:D, it has been starting and running perfectly for a month or so now... just thought I,d share this. I have got lots of good leads off this site. Thanks, Scott in MN.:cool: