2006 Jetta hard to start.. vacuum leak?

bigtree

TDI
2006 Jetta
Since my Jetta has been new it is hard to start 1 out of 100 times. Had it to the dealer MANY times and it finally wouldn't start for them. They could not find the problem (or more likely didn't want to fix it under warranty), now with 83,000 miles on it, it's hard to start 1 out of 3 times.

The symptoms: Turning the key and letting the glow plug light go off, it always starts as soon as it turns over, if it's not going to start, it will shutter (like it going to start) then nothing. I have to keep cranking until it does start. Most of the time the oil pressure warning comes on, then I shut it off, restart it until it starts. As it starts it shutters badly, if it's below zero, there is a lot of black soot. This only happens if it sits over night (or more than 2 days) once it starts it's good for all day; no matter how cold.

I've read the won't start thread and can find little, ANY help would be most helpful! Thanks

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Do you park on a level surface or is the engine higher than the fuel tank (sloped driveway)? Could it be the lift-pump in your tank?
If it fails to deliver enough, the engine might be starved of fuel. I know you can access it under the rear seat, so perhaps there is a HowTo on testing it (voltage or flow rate?).

If the dealer has had it when this was reproducible, can we assume they checked the timing and that it was OK?

I assume there is no restriction in the intake (clean air filter & unclogged snorkel)?

krystlelite81

TDIGUY Associate Vendor
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
I would definitely have the timing checked as well. You are at your timing belt interval time anyhow and my look into have the timing belt/water pump service done now. Make sure that if you do have this service done at the dealership however (and not a trusted TDI mechanic) that they are changing ALL of the TB components (timing belt, tensioner, rollers, water pump, accessory belt, and necessary bolts and gaskets) and that they use the appropriate locking tools and then time the car appropriately after. If you have VAG or access to VAG your KW torsion value (in field 4) should be at 0.0. If it is not then your timing is out of spec.

bigtree

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks guys..... I do have a sloped driveway and I have tried parking the car down hill which seems to work. I did have one time, parking in this position, it did not start.

Last week I had the timing belt / water pump replaced (by a dealer) and.......this is when it really started to really get bad. HMMMMMM???????

krystlelite81

TDIGUY Associate Vendor
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Then I would call and ask them if they use the proper locking tools as well as how they check the timing after....Do you have access to VAG COM?

bigtree

TDI
2006 Jetta
No I don't have VAG COM.. I did call them and they are going to check it out tomorrow a.m..
They seem to think it may be the fuel filter, which hasn't been changed for awhile.

krystlelite81

TDIGUY Associate Vendor
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Thats possible but timing should really be checked if they just did the timing belt service and it got worse after.