Another violent shudder under load thread

Bodstdi

TDI
Golf v
Hi all . I have a 2008 Golf 1.9 Bxe engine that went bang ( Conrod failed) .
I have since had the block replaced with an apparently good bkc block . Since then I've encountered some issues and I was hoping you guys might be able to help .

Here goes with my story .

Parts used during swap .

Bkc block , intake and turbo egr etc . All from 129k 2004 model .

Bxe camshaft pulley and sensor , crankshaft sensor (bkc one was damaged )

The car initially didn't start we thought it was due to the camshaft pulley being slightly different do we swapped the bkc pulley over to the Bxe and sensor and she fired up immediately. Hence why we changed over that pulley .

The problem :

Previous to the swap the car occasionally used to vibrate and stutter quite violently in the high gears when accelerating from lowish revs say 1800 rpm . My wife drives the car and hardly ever finds herself doing much above 50mph on her commute so we never really investigated this fault . Since fitting the new engine this problem seems to have worsened whereby I can make the car do it every time under hard accelatation at say 50mph forth or fifth gear .

The engine starts immediately hot or cold . It has quite a lumpy idle , not every time but most of the time at lights etc .

The timing belt, tensioner and waterpump were changed , they were timed up with the correct tools and pinned .

We know the clutch friction plate is quite worn but it doesn't slip at all , the flywheel itself doesn't clatter or seem to make any unusual noises . Although I believe it to be the original one done 168k . in hindsight I should have changed it but just couldn't afford to ( false economy !! ) depressing the clutch makes no difference .

It's only really a problem when you accelerate in the higher gears up a hill for instance . The whole car shakes I can feel it through the seat like a bucking horse . It sort of levels out if you rev through it or it stops when you let your foot of the gas .

Any ideas anyone would've greatly appreciated.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hi all . I have a 2008 Golf 1.9 Bxe engine that went bang ( Conrod failed) .

I have since had the block replaced with an apparently good bkc block . Since then I've encountered some issues and I was hoping you guys might be able to help .

Here goes with my story .

Parts used during swap .

Bkc block , intake and turbo egr etc . All from 129k 2004 model .

Bxe camshaft pulley and sensor , crankshaft sensor (bkc one was damaged )

The car initially didn't start we thought it was due to the camshaft pulley being slightly different do we swapped the bkc pulley over to the Bxe and sensor and she fired up immediately. Hence why we changed over that pulley .

The problem :

Previous to the swap the car occasionally used to vibrate and stutter quite violently in the high gears when accelerating from lowish revs say 1800 rpm . My wife drives the car and hardly ever finds herself doing much above 50mph on her commute so we never really investigated this fault . Since fitting the new engine this problem seems to have worsened whereby I can make the car do it every time under hard accelatation at say 50mph forth or fifth gear .

The engine starts immediately hot or cold . It has quite a lumpy idle , not every time but most of the time at lights etc .

The timing belt, tensioner and waterpump were changed , they were timed up with the correct tools and pinned .

We know the clutch friction plate is quite worn but it doesn't slip at all , the flywheel itself doesn't clatter or seem to make any unusual noises . Although I believe it to be the original one done 168k . in hindsight I should have changed it but just couldn't afford to ( false economy !! ) depressing the clutch makes no difference .

It's only really a problem when you accelerate in the higher gears up a hill for instance . The whole car shakes I can feel it through the seat like a bucking horse . It sort of levels out if you rev through it or it stops when you let your foot of the gas .

Any ideas anyone would've greatly appreciated.
Turbo actuator adjustment? Search the zip-tie mod.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Bodstdi

TDI
Golf v
Just searched zip tie mod , I might be wrong but it looks more suited to people suffering with no power . Mine seems to drive well with lots of power throughout the rev range . The problem only arises when I floor it at about 1700 rpm in forth and fifth gear made worse f I'm on an incline. Could a DMf slip? There's an odd mention of worn camshaft causing similar bucking . You really feel it through the car , I can feel it in the seat , it's very odd . You could drive the car carefully and never know there was a problem ( except the slightly occasional lumpy idle when warm )

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Just searched zip tie mod , I might be wrong but it looks more suited to people suffering with no power . Mine seems to drive well with lots of power throughout the rev range . The problem only arises when I floor it at about 1700 rpm in forth and fifth gear made worse f I'm on an incline. Could a DMf slip? There's an odd mention of worn camshaft causing similar bucking . You really feel it through the car , I can feel it in the seat , it's very odd . You could drive the car carefully and never know there was a problem ( except the slightly occasional lumpy idle when warm )
I had a 2006 Jetta with a brm engine, and what you describe sounds very much like what I experienced. I performed the zip tie mod and it fixed my problem.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I would also check the camshaft. That's another very possible issue.

Bodstdi

TDI
Golf v
Okey dokey , I’ll try the zip tie mod , if that doesn’t work I’ll take a peek at the camshaft .i do have a dodgy idle so that might be a plus 1 for the camshaft .

Bodstdi

TDI
Golf v
My old bxe engine had recently had a new turbo . If I transfer this to my bkc lump would this rule out the zip tie fix ??

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I know this thread is a little older, not sure if you resolved it. Our brm had a similar issue, my son short tripped with a light foot. I attributed it to a sticky turbo actuator. Try holding gears and manually shifting dsg. Hold third year to 4K rpms and let off the throttle a few times. Think Italian tune-up. A half hour drive with me resolved the issue 😎. Good luck, John