Tire Size Question

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
I went from the stock 195/60/14 on my 96' Passat to these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...rue&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=18&y=16
195/65/14 for a test...the price was right, they get a pretty fair review, they don't rub and thy are about 1" taller, they also are considered low rolling resistant tires and inexpensive...so far so good...but they are new and the cards are still out. I thought it might increase my MPG, but in city driving it is about the same as before...perhaps they need breaking in...who knows. I have not yet tried them on a long trip...maybe in December.
This is the way I deal with the spedo and odo change: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=184239&page=4
Good luck

MojoDiesel

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Largest diameter tires that will work on A5 Jetta?

I'm interested in trying larger diameter tires as well. It would give a bit more ground clearance and correct the speedometer and maybe other advantages. It seems like it would be possible to go as large as 27 inch diameter. 26 seems to have been done but it is hard so far to find much discussion on this. So I second the motion - has anyone tried tires that large?

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
7th VW: 2011 SportWagen TDI & 6th: 2000 Golf TDI
Here's a nice calculator http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html -- giving you tables of odo and speedo errors.

For the past two years I've been running Kumho AS 795 205/65/15 (as opposed to stock 195/65/15) with my OEM alloys. FE pretty much stayed the same. The dimension comp and speedo errors:

The Kumho 795 AS rated 94S 560/A/B are good, economical tires for my use. They're a 0.51" taller and 0.39" wider per the calculator. They have good handling and wear really well.

MojoDiesel

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
205-60/16 snow tires work just fine on a 2006 Jetta

Thanks for the tire chart and replies!

Since my last post I got a set of snow tires mounted. They are 205-60/16 and are about an inch larger diameter than stock. They don't rub and feel fine to drive with. Looks like I have room for chains too. I mounted them on the stock aluminum rims.

vwmilo

TDI
81 vw caddy
Old thread but it helped me. For anyone searching for info on fitting larger tires on your jetta/golf, this should help!
Here is my 03 mk4 station wagon with 205/70/15 installed all around. 1" ground clearance gained which has made a huge difference! No rubbing. better mpg. win win win.
https://youtu.be/Vul_Uouupl8

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Old thread but it helped me. For anyone searching for info on fitting larger tires on your jetta/golf, this should help!
Here is my 03 mk4 station wagon with 205/70/15 installed all around. 1" ground clearance gained which has made a huge difference! No rubbing. better mpg. win win win.
Did you change the ring a pinion gear in the transaxel to keep the same power curve? Just curious.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I also have an '03 Jetta wagon that came with oversized Michelin winter tires. The circumference is greater, of course, and now the speedometer is nearly actual instead of showing about 3 mph greater than actual. I figure that the distance traveled is about 1.5% further than reflected in the odometer reading, so to get an actual mpg requires an adjustment.

You say "better mpg." Did you make any adjustments? If not then your actual mpg is better than you think.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I own an 06 Jetta TDI. I noticed that my Speedometer is 3 or 4 Miles off what it should be IE: If I'm going down the road 75 I'm really going just a little over 70. This is a fact that I am guessing many of you are familiar with. (VW even admited they knew about it)

Here is the question....

I have 205/55/16's on the TDI. Can anyone tell me if it would be a good or bad idea to go to a 205/65/16? This makes about a 3.9 mile an hour difference according to this tire size web site which would make me closer to correct on the speedometer and odometer, and would this not also show better fuel economy? (less revolutions per mile)
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I have called a few places (including VW) and they said the only thing they can think of that would come into play would be the ABS.

Any thoughts?
with 16" on my car it reads high, with 17" it reads low. both are factory sizes. and rollout of the tire changes as the tire wears. unless the car uses gps for speed and miles its not possible to be 100% accurate all the time.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I went with 205/65 R15 on my 2003 Golf. It essentially eliminated the speedometer error. I made a 2% correction to my mileage tracking spreadsheet, to account for the induced odometer error.
And people... am I the only one who cringes when people describe their speedometer as being off by some set speed? The factory speedo is made to be off by a set percentage.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Doesn't bother me any, I see it as cheap insurance against radar traps.

I'm surprised you found the 206/65R15 to correct the speedo - that's not been my experience personally, mine still reads about 5mph high at 65 (indicated) on my 2002 Jetta.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Doesn't bother me any, I see it as cheap insurance against radar traps.

I'm surprised you found the 206/65R15 to correct the speedo - that's not been my experience personally, mine still reads about 5mph high at 65 (indicated) on my 2002 Jetta.
I went from a 55 profile to a 65 profile... taller tires will have the affect of lowering the indicated speed of the vehicle, for a given speedometer. How could it be otherwise?

I tested with various GPS apps, on straight roads at steady speeds, and the corrected indicated velocity is consistent.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Ah, that'll do it - I saw "205/65" and it registered at "205/60" (which is what I was thinking when I replied earlier).

My mistake.