Need help - new noise FR wheel when turning CW

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi everyone. I got a new noise that just showed up yesterday. When im moving forward and turning right/cw there's a rubbing type noise coming from the front right wheel. I would have thought the tire was rubbing the inner wheel well but when I checked I see no evidence of q rub.

If I move the steering wheel all the way left or right when stationary I don't hear any noise or feel any intefernece.

Not sure if it's there in reverse.

I'm on Tiguan front springs/Jetta towing springs I'm the rear and Koni reds all around. This is the Jetta lift kit recommended by idparts.

My tires are 225/50/17. Been running this setup for over a month with no issues.

Got colder the last few days and first noticed yesterday after backing out of the driveway and driving over some soccer ball size snowballs left by the plow truck. Had a few inches over night.

I had a similar but diffent problem in the past when turning ccw around a rotary with the same spring/struts after I first put them.on this summer but that was more of a chatter/rattle which I thought might have been a loose bolt or something but ended up being a few loose lugs.

Thoughts?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Quite possibly your outer c.v. joint. Lifted vehicles increase the probability from increased stress

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Quite possibly your outer c.v. joint. Lifted vehicles increase the probability from increased stress
Any way to test or determine if that's the cause? Plan on taking the wheel off tomorrow and looking around more thoroughly

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Any way to test or determine if that's the cause? Plan on taking the wheel off tomorrow and looking around more thoroughly
Outer cv usually will sound like rocks crunching as you load twisting pressure on it while turning (accelerating out of a corner). does it change sound or quite down when going straight or holding a low speed? A wheel/hub bearing can do the opposite.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Outer cv usually will sound like rocks crunching as you load twisting pressure on it while turning (accelerating out of a corner). does it change sound or quite down when going straight or holding a low speed? A wheel/hub bearing can do the opposite.
Not really a grinding nose, much more of a rubbing nose and only present when turning right while goin forward

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Going to check the front sway bar bushings, CV joint, and control arm bushing today. Might try to mount my go pro under there and drive around to see I can see anything.

Last edited:

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Problem solved!

Visually when I looked the other day it appeared like I had less clearance between the mud flap on the rear edge of the front tire wheel well and the back of the front tire. Sure enough I was about 1cm ess clearance on the passenger side where I was having a problem.

Now that I had a chance to look at it during the day I could see a rub mark on the plastic/rubber mud flap. Looked like melted plastic. So I started to check why there would be less clearance, either the mud flap was pushed forward or that passenger wheel was more aft relative to the driver side. I checked all bushings and mouts for the control arms and 2x checked everything with the struts and spring. Everything looked good. So I took off the mudflap and there was a good amount of middy sand captured in there. Nothing crazy, I had cleaned them this past summer, but I washed it out. I thought might maybe thats what was laughing the midflap forward. While I had the tire off I remembered that I forgot to put back that wedge foam above the tire wheel well liners when I was working on the suspension so I figured I'd put that back in. I wasn't sure how it was oriented so I did a quick Google search which brought to me a diffent thread here where folks where askijg of that foam that ran behind the mudflap woild cause rust because it's always wet. I remember seeing to that discussion before but decided to leave it in for now. However, then I read this post
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4973778&postcount=6 and the lightbulb went off. I took the foam ouy and lit everything back together. No more rubbing noise!!

I have to measure again but I'm pretty sure I'm still tighter on the passenger side than driver side. I had an alignment recently done ,like q couple weeks ago. Any chance something with the alignment changed the relative position of the passenger wheel?
http://imgur.com/gallery/vEEhBOd