tire chains

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
This is America, home of the free!

the chains are for road trips.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Some people make me laugh..... I've driven for years, lowered 2.1", through Canadian winters, having lived "out in the stix" without needing more than snow tires.... never found myself stranded or anything.......

Why do you need to run chains? Are you running summer tires?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
gee, happy to make your day.

by the way, did you hear the joke about Ebola? No?
That is ok, you probably would not get it anyway.

as explained, the plan is not to "run chains" the plan is to have an option.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Those Thule chains will work very well for you. I had a similar set on my F-350 (on all four wheels) during the 2009 blizzards and went all over the place. Ground clearance and 4WD helped a lot with that, though. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xem49HYlAJ0

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
for that pair of storms, I moved the snowflinger from the shed to the garage, but before that had not moved or started it in three years. for the first 14-16 inch snow, it would not stay running, so I had to shovel out the chevy by hand, drive the 4x4 to the local autozone for a can of gumout, then return to get it moving and complete the job. as I recall, it took the locals over a week to get a plow of any kind near my cul-de-sac-de-suburbia.

for the second snow, less than two weeks later, the gasoline powered noise maker and snow flinger ran fine, but I got too close and kissed the door on my then-brand-new TDI, which still has a little six inch scratch if you look closely under the touchup paint.

anyway, the chains cost about what I save on a weekend trip in fuel compared with the now-gone chevy.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Fuel was definitely expensive. My truck averaged 8.3 MPG :eek: on that tank due to the chains, some low range 4WD, and mostly high range 4WD. It was worth every penny. :cool:

cojoname

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon; 2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Chains and wheel well clearance

I have been told that the 2014 Jetta TDI does not have enough clearance to allow chains. Is this true?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The 2014 Jetta should be able to run chains, just make sure they actually fit. Your 2014 is probably no lower than my '06 was with the old sagging springs I had. The chains worked just fine on that setup.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Some people make me laugh..... I've driven for years, lowered 2.1", through Canadian winters, having lived "out in the stix" without needing more than snow tires.... never found myself stranded or anything.......

Why do you need to run chains? Are you running summer tires?
A lot of people in the Carolinas and Virginia carry chains because we sometimes drive through actual mountains. Driving through deep snow is easy on flat ground, but an icy 5 mile long 10-15 percent grade is a whole different ball game.

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
You can get a Security Chain on amazon. It works great and is cheaper than the Konig.