Fly and Drive Vehicle purchase tips?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Looking at vehicles in Texas due to living in the Rust Belt. I'm looking specifically in Dallas, TX due to having a close friend who lives there. He's already agreed to go look at vehicles for me.

Any other tips to ask for before I book a plane ticket?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I have a friend near Corpus Christi and he said coastal vehicles can rust pretty good. I have bought two from the Dallas area that have been clean. I think you can buy a subscription to carfax for a number of VIN's or a time limit. Look into the options, you can see where the vehicle has been registered in the past and how many hands it has passed through.
That, and purchasing a round trip ticket that can be cancelled and used at a later date toward another flight. Southwest was easy to work with when i did that. There was a grace period of, I believe, one year from purchase or cancellation. Also the cancellation had to be done within a certain number of days. And if nothing else, enjoy the weather, car shows, and southern cooking!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Does your friend have VCDS? If not you should send him yours to scan the cars with. I have flown out several times when looking for antique cars. Never worked out well and always returned empty handed as they weren't as represented either verbally or in pictures. At least you have a friend to check them out first. The good ones will move fast though and more than likely be gone by the time you get there. I am assuming you are looking for the older models rather than buybacks.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Also make sure they aren't flood vehicles. I've done it twice now with- 97 B4 w/ 312k and a '03 w/ 418k. The B4 owner let me use his plates from Massachusetts to drive home, and the '03 I had my own plates... booked my 1 way tickets online, just looked for cheapest....

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Well thanks for all the tips fellas! It was actually for a used truck (prices are comparable) but I decided to bow out. I was looking at spending $30k on a used truck with no warranty. Now I'm looking at new leftover, never sold units.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just bought a used 2002 Suburban yesterday for $1200. One owner and very well maintained with all service records. The grandfather gave it to his grandson who didn't like it at all. Drove it for one school year with the promise from his parents if he made straight A's they would get him something else he liked. The son did it and this was up for sale on Craigslist for less than 3 hours before I bought it. 172k miles and runs and drives like new, looks like new. Always garaged. I always like to have an extra vehicle around, especially one that can haul and tow and transport people. I sold the last 2000 Silverado 4x4 I had as it was just too much, more than I needed. Made $3500 on it too. This suburban just got new tires, battery, alternator, redone AC, brakes and tune up in the last year. Good to go for some time. The interior looks in almost unused condition except for the drivers seat, which has some wear, but not bad.

Can't see paying $30k when things like this are out there cheap. But maybe your needs are much different than mine.

Last edited: