Oil Coolers... You have options guys. LOOK!

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
Anyone know if an R32 oil cooler will fit a 1.9 ALH motor?

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
why not email him and get your answer directly. im not sure. besides, what are you gonna save, $2-5? maybe not...

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/2001/2002/2004/2009 Jetta GLS Auto/Auto/5M/5M/DSG 2010 A3/DSG
I was just curious. Charlie has done alright by me in the past and I see no reason for that not to continue into the future. Inquiring minds were just that inquiring!

mam0032

TDI
two 03' Golf tdi's
towing 2000lb's of bio

So, No performance mods, but every two months I drag 100 gallons of b100 from Fort Worth to Dallas, Does this call for a bigger oil cooler?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
zanzabar said:
This is a good thread, and I figured it needed to be resurrected.

I'm wondering how much effect the automatic transmission has on coolant temperatures. 220F still seems high to me, but I know there are a few guys with manual trannys that rarely get over 200F. From logs I've done, it appears that the coolant temp pretty closelly matches the oil temp, so maybe I should run some logs and map the tranny fluid temp as well. We'll see.
Auto Transmission are cooled by the engine coolant, so I would wager that you would see higher temps with an auto trans.

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
The 'Big Daddy' cooler lowered my oil temps from 300ish to 270 degrees on the track after flat out 20min sessions. The temps would also fall faster on the cool down lap so I never shut the engine off with temps higher than 250.

cowboyjack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Has anyone installed one of these BIG coolers on an A3 with an AHU engine?

Does anyone have a picture of the install?

I presume you'd have to add a remote filter to the big cooler, as the oil filter barely clears everything with the stock cooler?

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Ok, I am resurrecting this thread. I am doing my shopping for this and other parts. I have found this Cooler at 1stvwparts.com. Everything totals $203.43. Now I am not the talented shopper, as I usually buy all my stuff from vendors here, which none carry this.

Where else is there to look up parts. I looked up a few sites by the part number, but this is the only one that had it. the original post said vwparts had it, but that is a 4 YEAR OLD post. the site didnt have it. any shopping help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Eric B

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
I would recommend that you do not debate it with me in this thread and call Impex to find the exact price! (800) 736-3550

You might be suprised!

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
Why??

jackbombay said:
I've had one for 4 years now.
Then why the grief??

Just because I encouraged someone to patronize Impex??

Seems a bit petty but then it is just my opinion!

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
TDI2Fan said:
Then why the grief??

Just because I encouraged someone to patronize Impex??

Seems a bit petty but then it is just my opinion!
For a while here it was assumed that new VNT actuators cost $150 because thats what TDI vendor X and Y sell them for, then it comes to light that they are readily available for $75 from many other sources on the web, go figure.

You probably make more money than me and light your smokes with benjamins, but thats not my boat, I'm not going to buy products at +%30 to +%100 of the cost if there is not an advantage to it.

But if there is an advantage to it let me know :)

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI, Golf 99.5 TDI
Question, Can you still install this larger oil cooler having a DG by pass filter next to the oil filter in a A4?

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Question, Can you still install this larger oil cooler having a DG by pass filter next to the oil filter in a A4?
I really hope so. cause that is part of what I am doing. Big cooler and DG Bypass filter. here is a picture from DG site. the sender is nowhere near the coolant lines of the cooler.

So there shouldn't be any reason it shouldn't fit.

Eric B

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I think he meant the other side where the Amsoil BP sits right on top of where the coolant lines go into the oil cooler. Someone said it fits but to be safe I installed the smaller cooler used on the VR6 and the PD 150 in Europe.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
well, how big is that filter? and how far do the lines come up. I am looking on DG's page and there are no good pics of that side. but the ones that are there make it look like there is plenty of room..

Anybody?

Eric B

Ed999

TDI
2006 NB
I've got the big daddy oil cooler in addition to the DG Bypass Filter Kit on my 2006 NB TDI. Pleny of room for all. Been working fine for several months now.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
sweet, I got an email from DG and they said the same thing. Thanks. cant wait to get it all installed.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI, Golf 99.5 TDI
Was anybody able install the Big oil cooler with the DG bypass filter in your ALH? and no interference with the coolant hoses???

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Anyone have the part number handy for the V6 oil filter? I have the "middle" oil cooler (from page 1), I believe it's the "Passat V6 4motion" cooler.

Anyhow, having a brain fart and can't find filters for it. Anyone have a p/n?

TIA

enters

TDI
1.9 ahf
Passat PD oil cooler?

Hi, i have a A3 AHF, will the passat PD 2001-2005 oil cooler fit straight on and does anyone have the part number,? thanks

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
The part number of the "big daddy" cooler is mentioned at least 4 times in this thread.

It's dimensions are 118 x 96 x 64 mm

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
So what are acceptable oil temperatures? Range? :confused:

Wouldn't it depend on the type/grade of oil that you are using?