2001 Golf TDI for $7,000 to much??

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/6092658860.html
Jetta Wagon "02, auto, 181k, $3900

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/6105507589.html
Passat Wagon, "04, 233k, needs tranny, $800

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/6067095048.html
Manual Golf "05, 141k, $6400

A smattering of offerings around here. The Passat wagon could be
the bargain, throw a 6spd in it.
On the wagon: "no issues on engine or tranny" And we know that one can be sure that the 01m is rock solid! ;)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"On the wagon: "no issues on engine or tranny" And we know that one can be sure that the 01m is rock solid!" UhOh

I paid $4k for my Golf last July with 122k on it, with the auto tranny.
Since then I've spent more money than I care to add up. I could've done it cheaper, but I'm very happy with the results. Picked up my set of injectors with .216 nozzles from a local diesel shop. I'll get Jeff of RC
to lend a hand with the install and Stage 2, and then quit. The turbo can wait. Lol, though I just found a VNT17 in need of a rebuild.

Economic? Depends on how you add it up. I'm getting a durable vehicle I like driving that should last another 10-15yrs, with care and caution. Will there be ongoing costs? Absolutely, but I know what I've got. In fifteen years I'll be 80, with luck the car and I will make it together.

Cars cost money, no matter how you slice it, but I refuse to go in to debt for them. Many spend most of their lives with car payments,
much of the automotive industry is based on the "new and improved"
turnover, philosophically I believe the societal syndrome is unsustainable. The TDI resonates with me as something that's worthwhile on a a number of fronts. To each his own.

Cheers,
R*2

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
"On the wagon: "no issues on engine or tranny" And we know that one can be sure that the 01m is rock solid!" UhOh

I paid $4k for my Golf last July with 122k on it, with the auto tranny.
Since then I've spent more money than I care to add up. I could've done it cheaper, but I'm very happy with the results. Picked up my set of injectors with .216 nozzles from a local diesel shop. I'll get Jeff of RC
to lend a hand with the install and Stage 2, and then quit. The turbo can wait. Lol, though I just found a VNT17 in need of a rebuild.

Economic? Depends on how you add it up. I'm getting a durable vehicle I like driving that should last another 10-15yrs, with care and caution. Will there be ongoing costs? Absolutely, but I know what I've got. In fifteen years I'll be 80, with luck the car and I will make it together.

Cars cost money, no matter how you slice it, but I refuse to go in to debt for them. Many spend most of their lives with car payments,
much of the automotive industry is based on the "new and improved"
turnover, philosophically I believe the societal syndrome is unsustainable. The TDI resonates with me as something that's worthwhile on a a number of fronts. To each his own.

Cheers,
R*2
Not bashing the 01m at all. It's just that hearing, in essence, "01m transmission good" from a dealer wouldn't exactly instill confidence. The car is pretty cool to drive, stomp on it and just hold down and it keeps ripping. That said...

I bought what I assumed was going to be a car with a bad 01m and it has, so far - knock on wood, been just fine.

I pretty much hated my car when I first got it. Now I'm shelling out for body work. That should tell you what I think of it. Probably will have, besides regular maintenance items, a good $4k into it when all is said and done. Add in my shipping costs for the car and it's pushing $10k. And as much as that sounds like a lot I can tell you that this car is/will be better than just about anything else you're going to find for $10k. It's been essentially tailored to me/my needs: another reason why buying a slightly sub-par car and fixing it up might be better than buying something that's already up-to-par (the son's car is, without a doubt, a rare bird/exception).

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
UhOh,
My experience with the 01M, like yours, worked out much better than the collective opinion that they're junk. A fluid and filter change, shortly after the prerequisite TB job, and it started to come good. It was terrible to begin with, and I went ahead and bought a manual swap kit. 6 months later when I did get around to it, my feeling was that the tranny, with regular service, could have done another 60k. And I did get $200 out of it, as well as a $100 for the stock 5th gear.

No regrets about now having a manual though! I'm loving the tall 5th, and mpg has improved about 10%.

Yeah, I'm pushing $10k in my car too. Mind you that includes the TB,
brakes and rotors, suspension, tires, all stuff that goes into running any vehicle. Hopefully some of those costs will slow down for the next couple years, I've done most of the major stuff. A bigger turbo and exhaust would be nice down the track, but I've got the car running
good, and she's a lot of fun on the country roads this neck of the woods. And cruise at 80 on the highway all day comfortably.

Cheers,
R*2

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
My answer was not a troll answer. The current owner paid some $$ for deferred maintenance. That does not make the car worth more. He spent that just to catch it up to where it was supposed to be in the first place.
You can pay whatever you want for anything, but at the core it's only worth what the market will reasonably pay for it. The lower than normal mileage only can give you so much benefit just like the deduct for having more than normal mileage.
It's not reasonable to pay that much of a premium for that car when there are many offerings for less money. Sight unseen, that is stupid money.
That's the funny thing about 'the market' you speak of. There needs to be exactly one person that finds this car worth the money. So if this car sells for the asking price to this ONE person, would you then suggest that 'the market' IS willing to pay that price? Even though that one person is no longer 'in the market' so to speak?

As for the other offerings... again... interesting things. I took a great deal of interest in used car sales while studying economics. There is good reason why there are other offerings at much lower prices. I won't get into it here, it's more of a discussion for economic forums or game theory. But OP will know which car is for him. We can't tell him what car is worth what to him.

Are early 90s Miatas really worth $6K still? Are del sols worth $6K? Are 96 Impala SS's worth $15K? Is a 98 Integra Type R worth $18k? 91 NSX $50K?And by comparison, is a 2005 Jaguar XJ8 Vanderplaas worth just $5K? I looked at a pretty early (2004~ish?) Jag XJR a couple years back for just $5K - hell of a car on paper 400hp and gobs of luxury; didn't buy it though - it felt wrong. So these 'other offerings' you speak of, there is good reason why they are priced the way they are.

I also keep thinking of the member here that bought a car for $3500, and a few weeks later ended up needing a new engine. So... would he not have been better off buying a better example to begin with? It would certainly cross my mind.

Tylere

TDI
2005 Golf
So he finally got me the VIN and on the report it says 141k in 2016 but on his post he's saying it has 61k. So now I'm waiting for his response into why this is.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
[/IMG]https://reading.craigslist.org/cto/6088789168.html

Tylere,

Take a look at this listing, "cash only", "selling for a friend", quick quick quick. This set off red flags for me, have a read about "curbstoning".
Ran into a couple examples shopping around for my replacement.
Who's name is on the title? Slow to get back to you? Why? Have you got a phone #? Talked to him?

On the other hand I gave the seller of this teardrop a check after 10 mins, but Judy and I were both sure of the seller, and the trailer.
2 days later the check cleared and I drove away with it.

Deals to be had online, but I like to make a personal evaluation of both the product and the seller for anything major.

Take care,
R*2

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not 100% sure but i didn't think the odometer rolled when the engine is off
Dunno'. Bit of a hike to go see it. Drive it, crawl around under it,
hey, it's only money. If you like it, make him a silly offer and see
what happens. {:eek:)

Good luck!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
First rule of negotiating anything: At the first piece of hard evidence of dishonest dealing by the other party, RUN, do not walk, away.

An intentional false statement of mileage, especially of this magnitude, is more than enough standing alone.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
"Needs AC Compressor" MIGHT be "needs $100 worth of parts in existing compressor" or it might be "needs $400 compressor, evaporator, condenser and all hoses." Oh, and also needs dash taken out to get to the evaporator, which is a severe PITA (beyond the money involved.) :)

That's ok, there's a guy over near here trying to get ~$5k for an '03 with a SALVAGE TITLE (at least he's honest about it!) And an automatic. Oh boy, that's got to be a good one..... :D

Last edited:

Brett San Diego

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta wagon manual
Last edited:

Tylere

TDI
2005 Golf
As of now I'm indifferent. I've never had either so i can't really say.

Genesis why are you not a fan of BEW?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
There's a no-reserve ebay auction for a 2002 manual Jetta wagon with only 110,000 miles. Will probably be a good idea where the market is now. Already at $5,500 with several days left.

I'd say these two are right in the sweet spot for the OP.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6104202132.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6061282769.html

Several more Golfs in NorCal for under $4500 that look reasonable.

Brett
5700 now...I wonder what I could fetch for my 03....98k miles :)

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
As of now I'm indifferent. I've never had either so i can't really say.

Genesis why are you not a fan of BEW?
I don't care for the unit injector design and cam issues that it has a history of happening as a result. It's not as undesirable as the common-rail engines (which I wouldn't own at all, and is why I now drive a Mazda) but between the two I'd rather have the ALH engine.

In fact I bought my '03 when I did because I didn't want the BEW, which I knew was in the next model year's car.