Service memo for prepping the 2015 GSW for sale?

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
I am getting the run around on my new purchase. I purchased the 2015 TDI GSW 6mt on Saturday, but still have not taken delivery due to all sort of "dealer" issues.
Today I was suppose to take delivery, but I didn't consider the car ready for delivery, scratches in the paint (black on black S) pollen and dirt in all the seams etc. The detail job seemed to be run it through the car wash twice!
I snuck over to the service desk and asked for all the repair orders. It showed the emission recall work, oil, filters, and brake fluid.
My understanding is I should also be receiving all three new wipers, new battery and possible new tires too? Speaking of tires, on Saturday when I was first promised to take delivery, they said a screw was found in one tire and they need to order and install a new tire, so Monday would be the earliest they can get it.
Today looking at the tires, I see the same date code on all 4 tires - 1815. Which is the manufacture date of: 18th week of 2015. So new tires were not installed, nor was the one with a screw replaced.
So what I would love to see is the service memo each dealer got regarding prepping the 2015 GSW's for sale.
Thanks,
Paul

unidenscan

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2010 Jetta Wagon TDI
I'm interested in seeing this also. My dealer is doing oil change, fuel filter, wipers and likely DEF fluid and brakes. They are telling me no on the tires unless they don't feel/sound good on the road.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I didn't get a service memo or work order with my GSW, but my dealer said that they were required to change oil and filter, fuel filter, wiper blades, and refill the DEF fluid. At the dealer's discretion, based on individual car's need, they could replace tires, brakes, and battery.

I think my car was the first one they prepped so they did everything. New Michelin tires, brakes, battery. I got a Continental warranty booklet with the car so I assume it originally had Contis on it.

Franklinstower, if I were you I'd pass on that car and dealer. The paint scratches, especially in black, would be a deal-killer for me. And it sounds like the dealer is trying to do the bare minimum.

Outlier

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I will have to ask for clarification but so far I am under the impression that there is decent amount of leeway in what is allowed to be done to properly recondition these vehicles. Whether that is from my dealer having a good relationship with our VW rep has something to do with it, I am not sure.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Note step 4 above, perform other services needed for vehicle to be saleable as new.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
something to look at regarding the battery is the date of entry into service tag, to see if it is recent as if the battery has sat for 20 months and it has a 24 month return warranty, you arent getting new are you,,I would look at all servicing that falls under the /12months criteria, to be sure it was followed. Same as the dating of the tires.
and remember if anyone touches up paint, vw voids the warranty on rust repairs for that panel,,When I got fenders for my mk4, that was the first thing they asked and went on to measure the paint thickness around the rust spots to see if the factory finish was touched.

Last edited:

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Remembering: A massive corporation that pulled a "Woolley" over the world's eyes... Beating the system for 8 or more years??? And you think they're going to refurbish those cars completely? As the earlier poster said " bare minimum "... This debacle of a buyback and fines are costing them a s$it load of money .. Doubt that they're going to start replacing tires and detail each vehicle for several hours before they put them on the lot.. To each his own... Just my $.02

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Remembering: A massive corporation that pulled a "Woolley" over the world's eyes... Beating the system for 8 or more years??? And you think they're going to refurbish those cars completely? As the earlier poster said " bare minimum "... This debacle of a buyback and fines are costing them a s$it load of money .. Doubt that they're going to start replacing tires and detail each vehicle for several hours before they put them on the lot.. To each his own... Just my $.02
They did that to mine. I would challenge anyone to find any differences between my '15 and a '17 just delivered to the dealer. I think how well the car is prepped has more to do with the dealer than VWoA. VW has given dealers a lot of leeway on what they can do to cars pre delivery. It's up to dealer management to decide how to prep the cars. Some are doing more, some less. Some car dealer owners are greedy and try to get every dollar they can from customers. Shocked, I tell you, I'm shocked. :eek:

rol716

TDI
2015 GSW
Does anyone know if the dealer who preps the car for sale would keep a record of what was completed on the vehicle? If they are required to complete repairs for sale of the car would the new purchaser be able to request these records?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
They did that to mine. I would challenge anyone to find any differences between my '15 and a '17 just delivered to the dealer. I think how well the car is prepped has more to do with the dealer than VWoA. VW has given dealers a lot of leeway on what they can do to cars pre delivery. It's up to dealer management to decide how to prep the cars. Some are doing more, some less. Some car dealer owners are greedy and try to get every dollar they can from customers. Shocked, I tell you, I'm shocked. :eek:
When I bought my 2000 Beetle, I looked at several of the dealers in Charlotte. They all did something slightly different for new vehicle prep. I would assume that the same will happen with any of the 15s up for sale today. Each dealer reads the requirements slightly different.

Does anyone know if the dealer who preps the car for sale would keep a record of what was completed on the vehicle? If they are required to complete repairs for sale of the car would the new purchaser be able to request these records?
All you can do is ask. My assumption is that all the service will be charged back to VW so there has to be a paper trail.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
Absolutely, they have repair orders for all the work. I went to service department and asked for every repair order for my vehicle. They printed about 12 reports. about every two months, the drove, checked battery, etc. And then the final service shows the emission recall software updates, stickers, new oil, filter, cabin filter, air filter and battery check, plus test drive.

Paul

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Yes, I just saw the work order on the car I was supposed to buy, I had to ask for it, they actually did a lot to it except tires, but tires were like new with a date of 1515 (15th week of 2015) (April 2015) they changed the battery because it shows Failed/ replaced.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
something to look at regarding the battery is the date of entry into service tag, to see if it is recent as if the battery has sat for 20 months and it has a 24 month return warranty
Where is the date into service tag? I thought most batteries were rated for 72 months, just full replacement at 24 months, correct?

Paul

lriddick

TDI
2015 JSW
i contacted customer care and asked this is what they said
Here are the items that were checked: Battery Test, Road Test (10 miles), Check and replace front wiper blades if necessary, Perform engine oil change with filter, Replace cabin air filter, Perform brake fluid flush, Replace fuel filter, Add diesel fuel (max $12), Perform vehicle detail and Ensure that Inventory Vehicle Extended Inspection/Maintenance Form is completed for all required inspection items.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Thanks, My car was dirty and the brakes rusted and pitted, it must have sat in the mud or grass, far from dry conditions.lower trans and engine show corrosion as well

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Everything the dealer does to the (New Old Stock) 2015 should be written up as a service order, we had to ask for ours for our passat, even have the second form that shows they "comped" us the new battery when I asked for it to be replaced.

Edited for NOS '15 vs CPO '15s

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I agree it's all about the dealer. Some like mine are very good and fair,other don't give a S... and figure it's a one time deal.

lriddick

TDI
2015 JSW
It only applies to brand new vechicles

Long story short if you bought a TDI thru the CPO program no maintenance was done to the vehicle. maybe a oil change and a battery check.

from customer CARE
The maintenance items listed for the TDI vehicles that are being resold are for the ones that were not sold before the stop sale was put on the vehicles, which is why there was a difference in the maintenance requirements between the new 2015 TDIs and the CPO 2015 TDIs.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
My experience buying my New-old stock 2015 was very good. I got all the records as well, and the car was identical in appearance to a new 2017. They had to replace a battery in one of the key fobs before I left with the car, and the detail job was very nice. I had to drive it home on the highway for 4 hrs and got bugs on the front unfortunately.

Kudos to Rudolph VW in El Paso. And they did more than they could have seeing that I am not going to bring the car there for services as a regular customer would.