MOUNTED my new massive tires today! :)

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I give it two thumbs up.

What's wrong with wrapping a tourniquet around the tread to seat the beads? Not as fun I suppose but safer.

I look at explosives as a last resort.

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
So....i did a thing! :) I realize many of you will think this is dumb.....but Im a jeep guy that bought a TDI so sorry if its not your cup of tea. I mounted my new big meats today! The ups guy dropped them off and I was too impatient to wait for a shop to mount them, so I spooned them on with my dirt bike tire levers and seated the beads with FIRE! I love them! My 2" lift just clears them. Its close but no rubbing even at full lock. Off-road may rub somewhere, but I will deal with that if/when it happens. It rides and handles great! I will see what it has done to my fuel economy. I did lower my RPM at 60mph by about 200rpm which makes hwy cruising quieter They are 215/75-15 general grabber at2's

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyaKookYIyI&feature=youtu.be

I am also a Jeep guy, SW PA. And I absolutely approve this message!!

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
Looks good!

Putting together a Getta Wagon with a homemade 2" lift soon too and looking to get the same tire set up. Happy to hear the a legitimate size and review of someone recently. Happy about the lower RPMs too. If I can keep my foot out of the power increase, maybe ill see a MPG rise too!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Don't forget Bubble balancers only provide a "static balance" (standing still, adds weight on one side of rim only)

A shop should have a dynamic balancing machine (spins wheel and tire up to highway speeds and suggests weights on inside and outside of rim)

The few times that shops have tried to get away with a static balance on my tires I have always noticed vibration at highway speeds. I think the "static balance" is an option they can click to save time on their machine but I always end up coming back and having it re-done in "dynamic mode" on at least one wheel (which I usually determine but rotation to the back axle).

Also, I always ask for stick-on weights instead of clip-on weights. It is possible to clip weights to the AVUS alloys because of the rim/lip design and these wheels usually came with clip-ons from the factory but those are special plastic coated clip-ons that protect the finish. The standard steel and lead clip-ons that shops use, they wreak havoc on our beautiful AVUS wheels.

Last edited:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Yes I agree.. I will ask him to use stick on weights. I am really surprised at how smooth they ride with no weights at all. There is only a slight wiggle at around 60 mph...it goes away around 70. So I don't think it will take much to smooth it out.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Yes I agree.. I will ask him to use stick on weights. I am really surprised at how smooth they ride with no weights at all. There is only a slight wiggle at around 60 mph...it goes away around 70. So I don't think it will take much to smooth it out.
I'm surprised too. I had my shop throw old tires on our "buyback" car to go turn into VW. I had a 25 minute drive to the shop on 50-65 MPH roads and it was all I could do to keep it on the road. I was shocked at how bad it was. Maybe the tires I was using were especially trashed but I attributed it to the being out of balance.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Im hand mounted 33's on my toyota and have been running them for 5k miles with no weights and they are smooth up to my 55mph top speed haha!

Little-Stinker

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI...(Gold)
This rig is cool. A small tubular external front bumper with some off road lights mounted to it would really set off the look!

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I don't think it's dumb. It's pretty cool if you ask me. (The car & tires/wheels)

Did you make the light bar, or is it available from a supplier? How does it attach?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Nice mods! I love that you mounted the tires yourself with FIRE! :cool:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Veedub! It was way more fun than waiting and paying a tire shop!
I encourage you to try it at home. SPooning them on the rims was even way easier than I remembered. I tried it a few times on my jeep when I was a teenager.....it didnt go so well. Maybe Ive gotten wiser in my old age...hah!
Nice mods! I love that you mounted the tires yourself with FIRE! :cool: