First Drive: 2009 Volkswagen Touareg TDI

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
Hmmm. I wonder if it will have the same problems with BD as the Jetta and Golf. Not that I could ever afford one...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Way out of my league that's for sure! Still, it's nice to see the diesel offerings increasing. The Jetta remains the only choice at the affordable end of the scale. I'd love to see the affordable end extend down to the Polo TDI for N. America. As our kids move out I see no reason to have too large cars in the family.

cos

TDI
2004 Passat GLS TDI
conejo_a_cuatro said:
Hmmm. I wonder if it will have the same problems with BD as the Jetta and Golf. Not that I could ever afford one...
I don't think they're made in Mexico.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
Drove one! Very nice but don't remember if I had to touch brake. I think it is kinda force of habit to do this anyway.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
DickSilver said:
It is WIERD that you have to stand on the brake pedal to start the Touareg.
I felt that way about having to depress the clutch on the Jetta TDI.

Wobisobi

Veteran Member
TDI
Missing my Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
I drove the Q7 version of this about a week ago. Really, really, really love that 3.0 tdi. The Q7 that local dealers have for demo are completely loaded with all of the bells, including advanced (leave your key in your pocket) ignition. It was extremely quiet inside and outside even when walking around the front. What a great engine.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Yes, it will have the same issue, as in "cannot use it".

At least untill the post-injection for DPF regen is dropped, TDIs will not take bio any more.

V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
wolfskin said:
Yes, it will have the same issue, as in "cannot use it".

At least untill the post-injection for DPF regen is dropped, TDIs will not take bio any more.
The new TDIs are able to take B5 according to VW. Its only B5 but still.

Doonie

TDI
none
V said:
The new TDIs are able to take B5 according to VW. Its only B5 but still.
Does not the 3.0 use urea as a reducing agent, rather than fuel? Isn't the issue lubricating oil dilution from Biodiesel?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Urea injection is used to curb NOx emissions. DPF regeneration is still handled by increasing exhaust gas temps by way of increased boost, post-combustion fuel injection, or both.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Doonie said:
Does not the 3.0 use urea as a reducing agent, rather than fuel? Isn't the issue lubricating oil dilution from Biodiesel?
NOx elimination is done by catalytic reduction (e.g. breaking up the oxide), using urea.
DPF cleaning is done by oxidizing (burning up) the carbon particles, quite the opposite reaction, and is achieved by increasing the temp. of exhaust gasses. VAG TDIs achieve this by post-injection in the cylinder. If this was achieved by in-stream injection (5th injector... or in this case, 7th), at least the biggest problem of bio use would be eliminated (oil dilution).

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I'm sure the author got a little dyslexic with Dr Ferdinand Porsche and Rudolf Diesel's names...

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
i stopped reading the article at the prices. no reason to go on if it is as close to my budget as a tr250. the phaeton did not sell so who determined a vw suv diesel at those prices was a good idea? 200 for sale in june and i bet most of them will be discounted next year. ridiculous. when a tiguan would be a good idea since it is not a audi copy the world gets.....an audi copy.:(

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
That engine is a winner all by itself...:D

But the T-reg is a bit too expensive base let alone optioned.

How great would it be to see that 3.0 TDI in the Bluesport :eek::D, GTD, or even a Passat...;)