Just purchased 06 Jetta Tdi, coolant and boost leak to fix

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Just flew into Orlando to buy a 06 Jetta MKV 181,000 miles , just found out the Jetta is leaking coolant today (its all water in the reservoir). There is also a boost leak. I'm new to this engine but have done a little research on the problems associated with the BRM. There is a exhaust/boost leak sound coming from right side of engine bay. I also get some hesitation around 1500-2000 rpms. If I take it easy on the pedal it runs much smoother, but when you lay on it hard the engine definitely struggles with hesitation until revved up to higher rpm level. My guess is that it could be a egr cooler. Could that possibly fix both problems? Probably going to have a tdi mechanic or shop check it out tomorrow, didn't bring any tools on the plane. Is there a way to do a test with hood open or do I need a lift. Currently no check engine lights on which seems strange.

On a side note the DSG flywheel is bad and no record of timing belt, the dealer (Manheim car) pretty much lied all the way around. Besides that it runs and drives decent. Its a package 2 with clean body and I got a pretty good deal on it.. so I think it might be worth fixing up and bringing back to life. :) I'll be taking off to Tx here soon once I can figure out the coolant leak, been there done that no fun on a road trip! Living off of arepas in the mean time ;) Any advice towards the problem would be greatly appreciated! Will update more later.

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
There's a trusted TDI mechanic listed near Orlando, it'd be well worth it to have them diagnose the issues and give the car a good inspection so you know what you're dealing with.

Eric Swanson
407-497-7031

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Eric said he stopped working on TDI's about 10 yrs ago and is a diesel truck performance shop. Also the TDI mechanic in Pensacola has retired as well as the one in Southern Miss.

Confirmed today that the coolant leak is a radiator! This car just couldn't get any easier :confused:

Last edited:

Scobi-wan

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi 5 spd , slightly modified.
Call j & F autowerks , they are out of fort Walton beach , Florida . They are great with TDI'S and very honest . 850 533 6483

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Search Zip tie mod, then my radiator upgrade here>>>
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5163991#post5163991

Also If you have any stall/running problems, be aware of engine wiring harness chaffing between the oil filter and frame + ground under battery tray.

I always plenty of tools and supplies then I fly to pickup cars.

How would I fix that, the sound I have is more like a exhaust leak and less of a boost leak. Got new Radiator and wheel bearing in but the AC is not working now after installing new Radiator. :(

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
So I fixed the power surge issue today by simply changing the fuel filter (air and cabin also) and dumping a full bottle of LM Purge in the canister. Its nice to restore power to a sick diesel. The medicine works. Now I gotta replace AC hose and change the rear wheel bearings. Also due for timing belt and dmf/dsg fluid. Should be smooth sailing after that, not sure what other problems will come up forgot to mention I have a intermittent right side window works most of the time. I hear there is a wiring problem from the harness wires that go through the door. I hope I can continue to bring this back to life. Shout out to the parts suppliers, tdiclub and haborfreight for making this happen and lkq :) BRM pretty much is the last of the affordable modern Tdi's out there.

Here is the hose I'll be needing to replace:
http://www.myvwpart.com/p/Volkswage...ml?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla

Last edited:

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
Also in TX trying to keep my 2006 as "like new" as I can manage. I'm slowly replacing the worn and scratched interior door parts with new. Regarding the cleaner in the canister, I thought I had read that the fuel circulates through the canister back to the tank, and so you don't really get a concentrated shot of cleaner as you might expect. Is that right?