TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Sprinter has a (single) two-stage turbo at 163hp, which is not the same as the (double) sequential bi-turbo in the E250 at 195hp. At least as far as I can tell. Otherwise I guess same engine/trans setup.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sprinter has a (single) two-stage turbo at 163hp, which is not the same as the (double) bi-turbo in the E250 at 195hp. At least as far as I can tell. Otherwise I guess same engine/trans setup.
Both OM651 engines I think?? Not really sure what all the differences are.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I can confirm that your sprinter has an om651, not an om646. I do a lot of work for MB dealers up here. The om646 is an earlier generation of 4 cyl CDI

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, just found that out. Looks like there was a 646 in the Sprinter, we just never got them here.

It is quite surprising how easily this relatively small engine moves this big box around. I mean, it won't win any races, but never really seems very stressed to get its job done.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Yep, just found that out. Looks like there was a 646 in the Sprinter, we just never got them here.
It is quite surprising how easily this relatively small engine moves this big box around. I mean, it won't win any races, but never really seems very stressed to get its job done.
yup, it's a really nice package. I know of a couple guys who see 30 mpg with their trucks (not all that loads, only highway, light foot)

oilhammer

TDI
Mine will never, ever, be used anywhere near close to its max available payload (which is more than the V6 model). Not sure what the wheelchair lift weighs, but probably not *that* much more than the two big rear seats that will be getting removed to make room for it. And most of our driving will be highway, so I suspect my fuel consumption will be close to, if not better than, what my current Eurovan gets right now. And the Sprinter is easily twice the size inside.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Bought an 08 R350 4Matic gasser this weekend. The miles were good 81k, the condition was awesome, and the price was right 10,800 OTD. I debated getting a diesel, but the added complexity negates much of the advantage. Now I need to find a guru to help me maintain it.
If you got the diesel we could have helped you with the maintenance part!

cevans

TDI
Mine will never, ever, be used anywhere near close to its max available payload (which is more than the V6 model). Not sure what the wheelchair lift weighs, but probably not *that* much more than the two big rear seats that will be getting removed to make room for it. And most of our driving will be highway, so I suspect my fuel consumption will be close to, if not better than, what my current Eurovan gets right now. And the Sprinter is easily twice the size inside.
Is the higher payload just a function of the 4 cylinder being lighter than the 6? Payload is more a function of frame, brakes & wheelbase than engine power.

oilhammer

TDI
Is the higher payload just a function of the 4 cylinder being lighter than the 6? Payload is more a function of frame, brakes & wheelbase than engine power.

I think so. Because the difference is trivial, and is probably about the difference in engine weight.

Curious thing, though. The 4cyl DEF tank is up front, behind the bumper on the right side, whereas the V6's DEF tank is amidship with a LONG tube running from underhood for filling. And I *think* the V6's DEF tank is larger. Which may account for why from what I've seen here the 4cyl being unable to go anywhere near the normal service interval without having to have the DEF topped up. I mention this because that too may give some extra payload to the 4cyl models.

A little pissed mine came with Hankook tires. :rolleyes: The white one right next to it has Continentals. :mad:

cevans

TDI
A little pissed mine came with Hankook tires. :rolleyes: The white one right next to it has Continentals. :mad:
This happened with my NMS Passat - I got hancooks, my friend got Contis...both SE models.

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
Buyback replacement: 1985 300D

I found one that is rust free, service records from new, 250,000 miles. The paint color is that very 1980s "Colorado Beige."
I wanted a car that doesn't feel like a "penalty car," but keeps me out of going straight into another car payment. I expect substantial repair/maintenance bills the first year.
This will be a big adjustment from my 2013 Golf. This is not a sports sedan! Has the turbo, but it is still a 120 hp engine pushing a 3,400 pound car. Always wanted one of these! :)

Anybody else going backward in time to a W123?

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I found one that is rust free, service records from new, 250,000 miles. The paint color is that very 1980s "Colorado Beige."
I wanted a car that doesn't feel like a "penalty car," but keeps me out of going straight into another car payment. I expect substantial repair/maintenance bills the first year.
This will be a big adjustment from my 2013 Golf. This is not a sports sedan! Has the turbo, but it is still a 120 hp engine pushing a 3,400 pound car. Always wanted one of these! :)
Anybody else going backward in time to a W123?
I have been "backwards" for years... 1982 240D 4 speed manual with sunroof, my summer cruiser [low speed w/67 hp].
Most repairs can be done with few wrenches, a screwdriver and a hammer.:D

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
I have been "backwards" for years... 1982 240D 4 speed manual with sunroof, my summer cruiser [low speed w/67 hp].
Most repairs can be done with few wrenches, a screwdriver and a hammer.:D
That's the appeal, plus that sound! I have a sailboat diesel and I have kept it up myself. I wanted a diesel driver where I can crack an injector to bleed the fuel system without getting my hand torn off ...

Seems parts are widely available, and reasonable, too.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Please keep us up-to-date on your new van.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I picked up a 2005 E320 CDI a few weeks ago with zero rust, the underneath looks like its 2 years old.

Was vacationing in FL and drove it back home to IL. The family owned 2 of these and the wife got upgraded to a R class because of the growing family.

I'm really liking this car so far. Runs great and smooth, awesome highway car. Averaged 38mpg at 75-80 mph the entire 1400 miles home.

So I'm selling back my 2011 Audi A3 in a few weeks and the W211 will be my diesel biotch for now :)

Getting a Malone tune on it soon, +35hp/50tq should help this 4000 lb beast move a little better!

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's a nice looking example. I love the W211 body style, especially in black. As I look at these for sale it's amazing that Mercedes still has terrible taste in colors. Gold on beige, gray on gray...a lot of them look like they're from the 80s.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
That's a nice looking example. I love the W211 body style, especially in black. As I look at these for sale it's amazing that Mercedes still has terrible taste in colors. Gold on beige, gray on gray...a lot of them look like they're from the 80s.

I agree, some of the pewter colors are horrific.

This car honestly drives like brand new... I can't believe it has over 180K miles on the clock. I'm hoping to get a year or two out of it and probably sell it for what I bought it for.

oilhammer

TDI
Those are nice driving cars. Watch out for broken coil springs though. VERY common. Check them carefully with the car in the air.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
After 3500 miles on the E320 CDI, its averaging low 30's. Not bad for the colder winter months. I'm sure I'll be hitting mid 30's in the summer.. I'm impressed for a 4000 pound heavy 6 cylinder! Driving is 50/50 city, highway mix.

cevans

TDI
After 3500 miles on the E320 CDI, its averaging low 30's. Not bad for the colder winter months. I'm sure I'll be hitting mid 30's in the summer.. I'm impressed for a 4000 pound heavy 6 cylinder! Driving is 50/50 city, highway mix.
I'm doing almost the exact same thing as you did - my 2010 JSW is going back next week, just picked up a W211 to replace it.

Family photo:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Nice job! Also looks like you lucked out with the black interior.

How many miles on yours? I just passed up 191K , runs like a champ. Only thing I had to replace was the plastic piece on the transmission where the electronics plug into. The O-rings go bad on that piece and tranny fluid leaks.

Part was $30
Dropped the pan and swapped out the tranny filter and fluid at the same time.
No more leak.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...still driving my 2013 JSW TDI 6M (but recently picked up a CPO MB C250 Coupe)............

Needed an alternative to my Accord V-6 6M (145,000 odometer + I fell off my bike and 6M use to the MD, the PT folks was - literally - a BiG pain.

Coupe got over 36 MPG on a recent round trip to AZ (It's not a diesel)

Good looking car for circa 70% the original owner's price.................

ez (using C250 4-cyl turbo vice putting miles on TDI)

Last edited:

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
I need to get some beauty shots of what we traded in our 2010 JSW for... a 2010 X164 GL350 Bluetec with 84k miles. The misses was looking at cars with 3-rows of seats and this checked all the boxes!