Emissions reduction devices in 2015 GSW

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Hi,

Please educate me. As the owner of 2 older gen TDIs I don't fully understand which devices come in the 2015 engine.

From what I read online it seems like the EA288 engine uses a DPF and urea injection among other things to reduce emissions, could someone please corroborate?

Thanks,
Pedro

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Excellent. Thanks!

So, I went to a dealer to see a 2015 GSW. Where is the DEF tank located? Sales guy was clueless

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Excellent. Thanks!

So, I went to a dealer to see a 2015 GSW. Where is the DEF tank located? Sales guy was clueless
Usually, your cat will have a better understanding of a car than a salesperson does and if a salesperson doesn't know the answer to a question, they usually just make something up.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Usually, your cat will have a better understanding of a car than a salesperson does and if a salesperson doesn't know the answer to a question, they usually just make something up.
needed that....that made me smile while I was having a tough day, that is while my cat was spread out across my lap....

"good kitty" you are smarter than the car salesperson's who are selling these diesels....she seems to like the praise ;):p:eek::(:eek::):D

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Sad but true, your average TDIclub member knows way more about TDIs than a salesperson.

The DEF tank sits behind the rear axle beam and is filled at the fuel cap door. It is 4 gallons, and with our wagon will go through a 2.5 gallon jug every 12k miles or so. Have not driven enough to know how much that dosage increased with the Phase 1 flash, but even a 20% increase would still get around 10k mile per 2.5 gallons.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/2015_Jetta_20k_Service.pdf

includes a photo at the end of the DEF fluid going into the tank on a Jetta.

the tank is right under. that fill, sits between the spare tire well and passenger rear fender (behind the axle, as previously noted)

for the golf wagon, they moved the fill outside, next to the fuel fill