Rear sway bar available for the TDI yet

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Just wondering if anyone has seen that a bar for our beam suspension has been offered ,Thx

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Neuspeed makes one and I have had it for about a year. Really stiffens up the car.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
http://www.neuspeed.com/334/0/0/3236/2502222-neuspeed-rear-torsion-bar.html#popUp[products]/2/

its the only game in town so far that I'm aware of. The only criticism ive heard so far is how low it hangs down, reducing ground clearance. Maybe someone that has one can chime in whether its the lowest hanging item under their car or not. The mk7's big twist beam is perfect for a shine/bfi type torsion bar that bolts inside the beam (like the mk4's). I'm guessing no aftermarket vendor has jumped on this yet due to the low production #s.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
It hangs down some but not too bad. I'm not lowered and at stock height FWIW.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
Nutty 5.0, did you do the Neuspeed front sway bar too? I have been debating getting the matched set. I have H&R's sport springs (drops the car about 1.5")... those really helped handling, but I've not had a car in ages without springs and bigger sway bars (front and rear)...

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I have both front and rear Neuspeed bars in the car. It's like driving a go-kart. A lot of fun. The bars really tighten up the car. I think both bars are in my car are 25mm MK4 units.

I think the bars really help when pulling the trailer too.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
PB_NB, I had some Eibach sport springs, Eurosport sway bars (I think), and a Eurosport strut tower brace on the '01 Beetle I had. It was great. I then sold that and got an '87 GTI 16V (and a B5 Passat for my wife) that had H&R race springs, Neuspeed sway bars, a beefy strut tower brace (Eibach I think), and a rear shock tower brace (pretty sure that was Eurosport), and loved it. Then I sold that and got a B3 Passat G60 Syncro (still have it... it hasn't moved in a while) and it has coil-overs (forget the brand) and Neuspeed sway bars (amongst significant engine mods).

So yeah, I have been thinking about the Neuspeed sway bars to go along with the H&R springs. :)

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Nutty 5.0, did you do the Neuspeed front sway bar too? I have been debating getting the matched set. I have H&R's sport springs (drops the car about 1.5")... those really helped handling, but I've not had a car in ages without springs and bigger sway bars (front and rear)...
No I haven't as that is the only suspension part I've felt I needed. Maybe down the road but it handles well enough for me so far with just the rear.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Guys, there's a ton of confusion out there on rear sway bars. The north American 2015 TDI uses a torsion beam rear suspension, not IRS. They're the only 2015 VW TDI in the world using the torsion beam (to my knowledge). IRS would not fit due to the large DEF tank back there. Even most of the aftermarket suppliers are wrong on this. Like most german parts suppliers, they take their fitment charts from Europe where these TDIs have IRS (no pesky EPA or DEF tanks over there). Takeaway = Don't trust fitment charts for 2015 north American TDIs, when it comes to rear suspension.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
way back in the day I put an aftermarket bar on my cavalier and it was a torsion beam. whether these will fit or not yet to be seen.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
Guys, there's a ton of confusion out there on rear sway bars. The north American 2015 TDI uses a torsion beam rear suspension, not IRS. Takeaway = Don't trust fitment charts for 2015 north American TDIs, when it comes to rear suspension.
Thank you for clarifying that.

So the next question is-- does the Neuspeed torsion bar make a difference in handling?

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
Putting a bar under another bar is waste of money. Unless your tracking the car no need for it. Everyday driving you will not feel it. It does look cool under there tho

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
Putting a bar under another bar is waste of money. Unless your tracking the car no need for it. Everyday driving you will not feel it. It does look cool under there tho
Yeah I thought about that same thing. But I'm guessing a solid bar might help... someone posted earlier that its noticeable.

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
It hangs down some but not too bad. I'm not lowered and at stock height FWIW.
How well do you feel this helps with the cornering? And does it hamper the ride at all. I just switched to my summer wheels with high performance all seasons on them. When I had the winters on ( michelin XIce on the factory wheels ) I felt on some ramps that the rear felt a little light in conering. We will see what I think with this tire I have on now and I will decide from there. But I am considering these, to go with the Eibach springs on stock shock/struts.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
How well do you feel this helps with the cornering? And does it hamper the ride at all. I just switched to my summer wheels with high performance all seasons on them. When I had the winters on ( michelin XIce on the factory wheels ) I felt on some ramps that the rear felt a little light in conering. We will see what I think with this tire I have on now and I will decide from there. But I am considering these, to go with the Eibach springs on stock shock/struts.
It made a noticeable difference to me, but I have no way to qualify it. I have 18's (SEL) original Durban's FWIW so not so much roll compared to some of the larger sidewall options of other wheels. I don't use winter rims/tires either.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I have seen the neuspeed rear beam but i don't see how putting a beam within a beam helps or benefits. I can see if there is a "swaybay" as in a U shaped one and connects via endlinks at the strut point of the trailing arm would work to help stiffen the flex.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
As designed, the oem torsion beam does twist as the car corners. These aftermarket sway bars simply help reduce the amount of that twist. You could plug/weld up a few holes in the large oem twist beam and accomplish the same thing. I'm surprised no aftermarket company has come up yet with a set of 2 or 4 bolt-in steel plugs to do this. Cheap and simple.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
the bar does help, but bumping the rear tires air pressure up a couple of lbs helps also

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
It made a noticeable difference to me, but I have no way to qualify it. I have 18's (SEL) original Durban's FWIW so not so much roll compared to some of the larger sidewall options of other wheels. I don't use winter rims/tires either.
I hear ya, mine is a SEL as well, and stayed with 18's for my summers with high performance all seasons for this car( need the mileage out of the tires ). Just feel that some corners the butt feels like she is getting light in some corners is all.
[/URL][/IMG]