Replacing the Coolant Temp Sensor..

GECKO 5

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Auto, Dark Blue
Hi all,

I am going to replace the sensor tomorrow. I took a look at it last night and it looks "Fairly" straight forward....

My bentley gives no instruction on it so i was hoping to get some feedback here on the replacement before begining...

From what i can tell, the steps are :
- Drain coolant (From what i can tell)
- Remove air filter/duct to gain better access
- Remove the C-clip holding the sensor
- Disconnect from wiring
- Replace sensor
- Reverse process.

Clear Codes (Had a code P0128 on this).

1 - Anything i should be weary of before begining?
2 - I ensured that i got the "Green" sensor as i understand this is the new model
3 - I ensured that i got a new O-ring

Cheers,

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
I didn't even drain my coolant, but it's probably a good idea
I just topped off the cup or two I lost while fiddling with the O-ring...I got the new sensor in and realized the old O-ring was still in there, so had to do it again

The plastic clip that holds it in doesn't have a positive engagement 'feel' to it...I was not convinced I'd gotten it back together properly, but it was fine

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Don't try when coolant is hot.
Next time, I wouldn't drain either, because what came out was in addition to what I drained with the petcock in the lower hose. I think I would leave the reservoir cap on so that it would drain slower. Things get slippery - maybe put the electrical connector on the new one so that if you start dropping things you won't drop the new one.

Have coolant mix (coolant + distilled water) on hand.

GECKO 5

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Auto, Dark Blue
Is there any benefit to having coolant mix VS. Coolant only on hand?

Thanks

Don't try when coolant is hot.
Next time, I wouldn't drain either, because what came out was in addition to what I drained with the petcock in the lower hose. I think I would leave the reservoir cap on so that it would drain slower. Things get slippery - maybe put the electrical connector on the new one so that if you start dropping things you won't drop the new one.

Have coolant mix (coolant + distilled water) on hand.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I think the secret to low loss is keeping the cap on and going fast, without dropping anything.

You have to replenish what is lost which is a mix - 50/50 or so.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
You don't have to drain all the coolant, just enough to leave the sensor dry. This might be a quart or two.