GTiTDi's 2.0 CJAA swap-->mk2 GTI STANDALONE

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
The 91 GTI has evolved! Just finishing up a project I started in late May of last year. Had it running before the new year, could easily have been sooner, however this was long and labor intensive project that left me nearly burnt out a couple times...

I would not have even considered this swap because of the hurdles involved...However, I have recently been in touch with my second-cousin Timo, of Konigsbrunn Germany. He has been in business as Car-Creativ since 1999, performing every imaginable combination of VW model and power train! Amongst those swaps have been a couple Commonrails...notably a 2.0 CR into a mk4...when I mentioned the prospect of swapping a 2.0 CR into my mk2, He nonchalantly said "It will work" :D Needless to say this was encouraging. Also some credit is due to Mr.Chill, who pushed the idea upon hearing how I had a CJAA to work with. After mentioning this in a thread, I was contacted by a couple interested people, Including a guy doing a commonrail swap into a Vanagon up in Canada, assisted by David Marshall of Fast Forward, who purchased the first one of these units to be sold in North America, since he built the harness. They had the swap running however it was apparently stuck in limp mode. I also sold one of these units to Mr.Chill who plans to do a swap into a mk4.

Special thanks to: my cousin Timo (not a member here) ManualTranny for his assistance with the thermostat adapter CAD drawing and plastic printing, and all around enthusiasm!, Matt98AHU for sharing some handy diagrams, and being there for random questions, BuzzKen for a killer deal on a Downpipe stub and O2 sensor bung combo pack, Yeahdude38 for filming first start and moral support, and Mr. Chill for his influence! Couldn't have happened without you guys!

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Pretty excited to see this thing run. Also very interested to see if you can start selling that magic CAN module to make it all work. All kinds of neat swap ideas are forming in my head now! :D

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Car runs awesome. Neat work too. It looks like it was designed to be there...right down to the fuel filter mounting.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Awesome! That little gem should scoot right along. Hope to see some more videos, nice job!!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
So explain to me how the can module gets programmed to do what you need it to do and how it could solve cruise control issues?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I forgot to mention great swap?

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
So explain to me how the can module gets programmed to do what you need it to do and how it could so+lve cruise control issues?
That's what made my cousins assistance so essential..he designed and programmed the can gateway mirror that tells the ecu what it needs to be happy, and provides outputs that the ecu generates through the can-bus..I named it the Tischspiegel...Timo Schmidt Mirror...

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Did you use the original cluster from the donor? What did you use for a speed signal? I was planning on using an abs signal from a tone ring or magnets on a driveshaft through a programmable for pulse count converter box, in turn converted to CAN speak by the ABS controller. Or am I overthinking?

I am still waiting for the right swap vehicle to reach out to me, but have given it much thought as I might like to use the original cluster on my next swap, or a DSG which would require a speed signal too. The beetle really doesn't have the room for it so I didn't use it, but it never hurts to plan ahead.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Did you use the original cluster from the donor? What did you use for a speed signal?
I am using the same mk3 TDI cluster I used prior, as well as the same G22 VSS. Only change to cluster is removal of the glow plug and check engine incadescent bulbs and installation of LEDs in bulb sized plastic sockets. The Tischspiegel only puts out enough power for LEDs.

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Looks very good! What modifications did you make to the lift pump fuel indicator?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Just cut it off one end and re-soldered it on the other? That's what I was suspecting, I just wanted to be sure. Thank You

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I used a mk4 PD lift pump and it is sending the signal to my mk3 cluster. Just have to reverse the scale..

Just reverse the wires?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's what made my cousins assistance so essential..he designed and programmed the can gateway mirror that tells the ecu what it needs to be happy, and provides outputs that the ecu generates through the can-bus..I named it the Tischspiegel...Timo Schmidt Mirror...

I'm ready to sign up for one

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Awesome! That has to be a blast to drive. Sounds smooth as butter. I just drove my cr gtd clone from Maine to Roanoke Virginia today. On to Austin tomorrow. :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stop by on your way back to Maine!
That sounds great! I'll pm you before I head back through. Should be early March. Very impressive that you got cruise control working.

GTiTDi

TDI
Haven't posted in here lately, mostly because a fiasco has been unfolding over the first sale of my Tischspiegel CAN mirror...let's just say there some of us who are sneaky and don't like to play by the rules...I sell it to them in December, and by January their copy is on the market and they'd like to return mine..and be refunded

GTiTDi

TDI
Modifications to the engine are starting to be formulated, going to use a CP3 pump at first (thanks again 2Micron :) ) I have CUAA injectors and pump on the way from Germany...Talking to Malone about turbos...getting excited :D

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Awesome job Chris I'm finally finishing mine and can't wait to start the other caddy cjaa Dsg swap already started the harness

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Awesome to see more CR swaps on the road. 40,000+ on mine so far, and not a bit of trouble from the motor, towing and all. Finally time for another round of upgrades.

GAS430

TDI
Ibiza
hello sorry to bother you. I saw that you succeeded a few years ago in doing a clean swap of the 2L tdi engine created on a mk2.

i need help please if you don't mind.
I am doing the swap in a Seat ibiza 6L 1.9 tdi ip

I have a concern for:
tower count information for the CAN network

and also for the accelerator pedal

and limp mode.

i rode in bosh edc17cp14.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE !!!