TDI swap in a Rabbit truck anyone?

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Anyone have this type swap? I have a 81 caddy and want suggestions on what yr TDI is the best and easiest to go in it. Heard a 96 is a good year. I still have the 1.6 NA but it needs a rebuild and a head. So if I have to do that might as well put in a TDI and have a lot more fun driving it. Have already stripped the bay down. Only battery tray left to do. Any thoughts?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Have a look through the conversions section, I'm sure someone either did it or was thinking about doing it not long ago and it was the same sort of age. I could be dreaming but might be worth checking.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
I just did this exact swap. 81 pickup/96 1z motor. Look in the conversion pages for any mk1 based vw swap, and start studying.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Will do. I found some threads right after I posted this. He had pics. Was a great build. (2manydiesels) Any major mods and fab to get to fit 2 ? Mounts, subframe? Dash and steering column looks to be a challenge. Any pics?

BigVWman

Veteran Member
Apex, NC soon to be back in the mitten of doom!
TDI
A1 cabriolet tdi and 01 nb tdi and countless gassers!
Its been done many times now, the original i think was MrDave on vortex with an alh tdi into the mk1 truck. Lots of info if you dig, keep in mind it will basically be the same swap as a regular mk1 scirocco rabbit or cabriolet even! We each have our own spin on it though!

Last edited:

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Like BegVWman says, we all have our own spin on it. You can do this without mods to the steering column, but I did a minor mod. I used the 02a trans, which you will have to spend 300 for mounts, or build yours, as I did. I did something quite different for my hydraulic clutch. Have lots of pics, just havent figured how to post them yet

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
oops...I meant BigVWman...sorry

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
I know what you mean. I have lots of pics too. Instead of changing the mounts, won't the whole subframe be better to fab up and install?

BigVWman

Veteran Member
Apex, NC soon to be back in the mitten of doom!
TDI
A1 cabriolet tdi and 01 nb tdi and countless gassers!
What would be the advantage of the subframe versus the mounts? I would think the mounts keep the stress points on the mk1 unibody in the same place it was engineered to be originally, where as with the subframe you may be attaching to material that was never meant to support the weight or stress. On the mk1 the control arms mount into the body where as later ones mounted into the subframe, same with steering rack. Not saying it couldn't be done but it seems an awful lot of extra work for little gain. Not to mention aren't they also different width? So you would also have to shrink the span on the subframe!

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Good point vwman. Did not think about the diff widths. Thats right. Much much more work. The front mount is on top of the cross piece I think. Has a rear one also but won't use the original side mounts. Is this correct?