My beloved 1998 Jetta Lifeless please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobssTDI

TDI
Jetta 1998 White
Well it happened, I was accelerating off a ramp, all the sudden engine power died. I crused to a stop of the side. I crancked, engine turns fine I don't hear any interferance, no big puddle of oil. No rods sticking out of the engine. But it acts like it is not getting fuel.

First though timing belt due the sudden nature of my power loss. But I would not expect the car to turn over with out some audiable sign of its demise. I need to do the belt, it is due @ its next 30KM, which was on the plate down for this next weekend.

What else is there to check, shudder valve?

Also does the TDI valves meet pistons if they get out of sync?

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
u have an a3 if its a 98, i have the same one. we dont have an anti shudder valve, so dont worry. maybe u have a fuel leak to start? look at the clear line to injection pump and check. engine light? get the code. the valves i think also get preety close to the piston. could be alot of things? does it run now? you hear any kind of sounds? tell me alot more so i can help?

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
i was also thinking relay 109 but if it died wouldn't alot of electronics not work. herm said relay 109 does alot lot of things. can someone list what relay 109 exactly does?? so we all know. thanks

Big Red

Veteran Member
If you have ignition lights on dash, 109 should be fine.

Did you just fuel up anywhere?

Search for fuel pump O-Ring. I had a problem with this once but it fixed itself. My car ran, but had almost no power. Air can get in through the O-ring.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Did you look at the belt? When mine went, the engine cranked just fine.

109 is the main power relay that energizes the ECU. Without it, the engine quits. Dead. But the instrument lights also go out. The 98s had a faulty relay. If you haven't replaced yours already, they are about $20 and easily replaced.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
'98 Jetta has no anti-shudder valve, so that's not it.
The pistons and valves will want to occupy the same space if they get out of time. The valves and lifters usually lose this battle.
AFAIK, and I may be wrong, the A3s didn't have such a problem with relay 109 as the A4s did. It is worth checking, but don't count on it.
You can pop off the upper timing belt cover without too much effort to get a visual on the timing belt. Have someone else crank it over so you can look at the belt while it's turning over. If it didn't make a bad noise when it died, it may not be that.
I would start by seeing if the shutoff solenoid on the pump is getting power, and work backwards from there. A Bentley manual with a wiring diagram would be invaluable for this work. I have one and would be happy to answer questions if I can.

-Lee

Lightman

Veteran Member
thats exactly how my jetta acted when the maf went bad. I was on the highway, flooring it actually, and all of a sudden, near total loss in power.. I made it home, but there was just no acceleration. Felt like a gas engine running on less than all the cylinders...

I know its kinda basic, but worth checking out the MAF. Thats my .02 non mechanically inclined cents.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
When you switch on the key, take note if the "check engine" and "glow plug" indications come on.

YES - engine electronics are getting power.

NO - engine electronics are NOT getting power, and the Relay 109 is the most likely cause.

There is a troubleshooting guide in the TDIFAQ. Stalling and no-start situations are covered.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
My 97 Jetta made no audible noises of valves meeting pistions when the timing belt broke. Sounded like it wasn't getting fuel either. Take a look at the timing belt, it only takes a couple of minutes to inspect. May save a lot of needless troubleshooting, or set your mind at ease.

Did you have any lights come on when the car stopped?

[ December 04, 2002, 16:23: Message edited by: dzcad90 ]

Big Red

Veteran Member
98'S Don't have MAF and 109 problems that I'm aware of.

0. Fresh fuel? Could it be bad or wrong?
1. Peek at timing belt through cover.
2. O-ring on Fuel Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.