www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old September 8th, 2013, 20:08   #76
baja_brewer
Veteran Member

A little tidbit I just wrote up in my thread - if its not fitting for swaps let me know and I'll take it down:

This post gives the manufacturer part number, however Tyco has been purchased by T.E. Connectivity. They distribute through several major suppliers (Newark, Mouser, etc) at fair prices... however shipping can kill you - Mouser wanted $20 to ship 40 pins.

But whats this? Free samples?! Who doesn't love free? I put in for 20/ea of the smallest pins, and will likely go back and get some bigger ones as well just to have some on hand. We had crimpers at work that did the trick perfectly. 20 of each pins is a drop in the bucket for major suppliers like this and 3rd day delivery is a little stingy of them in my experience (try Samtec sudden service for samples if you get a chance, they overnight stuff to you!) You just have to have the time to wait for them.

I highly recommend that anyone tackling a swap come up with a reason to get samples, it can make your life a lot easier to have the on hand just in case!
baja_brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 17:47   #77
TrueNorthist

This thread is an incredible resource! I am in the early stages of planning a conversion and this thread has already answered most, if not all of my questions. I am sure there will be a few that crop up as I go along, but once I pull the pin I will start a build thread of my own.

Cheers very much!
TrueNorthist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 10:24   #78
DangerBoy

To Baja:

The post about pins is VERY fitting for swaps, as the wiring is a major part of any TDI project. In my case, I took hours stripping down my extra harnesses and I build some pin extractors by grinding down some allen keys. Using this method I was able to pull the pins without damaging them and reuse them once I matched the wire colors and gauge.

I would have much preffered to have the pins new and a crimper to what I did. That would have saved many hours of time and it also would have made the job that much more professional. Thanks for posting!
DangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:18   #79
G60ING
Veteran Member

DangerBoy's Build has been added, others please post your links here and I will update the list. Time is more and more scarce so please help me help the people doing research.
G60ING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 17:32   #80
bassman5066
Veteran Member

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=389513

Throw this in the "other" category

bassman5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 19:15   #81
Caddysmack

Default ALH 1980 caddy with Haldex awd

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...k1-caddy/page2
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:16   #82
kajikidu

Default 96 Tacoma ALH TDI swap

here is mine
http://tacomatdiswap.blogspot.com
kajikidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 08:01   #83
tbeetham

I have a 85 Jetta turbo diesel and plan on doing a mtdi swap! I found a 97 tdi motor and plan to send my 1.6 injection pump and the new one off of the 97 and have to find an AAZ pump to send to giles. my question is how will my 1.6 tranny act with the TDI swapI've been told that it will do fine if I am NOT constantly dropping the clutch or racing it but I want to know how it will be at freeway speeds and daily driving?
tbeetham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 08:02   #84
tbeetham

Also need an AAZ pump with 50mm mount if anyone has one
tbeetham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 15:41   #85
strangersfaces

Hi,

Great resource! Thank you.

I've read through many of the swap threads, some of them several times and though the three swaps I have in mind are still somewhat far off and not necessarily utilizing the same vehicles, the info here is invaluable.

I clicked on Logdog's 1966 Volvo 122S wagon TDI link, but it directs to Frankendiesel's Chrysler Town & Country Mini Van AHU swap. With a wee bit of searching I found the correct link to Logdog's 122S conversion:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=214626

There is more on his swap at: http://www.ovtuners.org/forum/viewto...1f5a90a6b1a5b1

Both of interest, as far as they go, but far from complete due to other, more pressing matters of his time. Perhaps and hopefully more will follow...

Best to all and happy New Year,

Lance
strangersfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 13:50   #86
Vekke
Veteran Member

I am building a Audi A8 D2 which was 2.5 TDI V6 to 3 cylinder 1.2 TDI. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=412491
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:09   #87
meby
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best: 42 Worst: 32

Here is mine...Ford Windstar swap.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394424
Old March 11th, 2015, 17:15   #88
G60ING
Veteran Member

I added about 8 links based on links posted in this thread, thanks for the help. If there are completed or near completion swaps that should be added please post them up here. Thanks
G60ING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 15:19   #89
SparkyWagon

hey, its nothing special and no pics but this is my 02 wagon 2.0 to ALH swap

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=419588
SparkyWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 15:34   #90
SparkyWagon

also i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on using a 99.5 ALH swap into an 02 golf 2.0. Just the engine wiring harness between 99.5 and 02-03 ALH being different and the lack of immo in the 99.5. I am on the lookout for my gfs car and knowing that i had 99.5-03 options instead of just 02-03 donor cars to look at would be helpful. her 2.0 has 235k on it and i know it won't last forever, but the body is straight and i redid the whole suspension.

so basically if i were to use a 99.5 donor car.. ecu, wiring harness, cluster would i run into problems aside from probably having to splice the newer style connectors on the old wiring harness. also will there be immo problems in the car itself. i.e. locking and windows etc..

thanks
SparkyWagon is offline   Reply With Quote