'03 TDI - displ & power bump for North America?

Jon Edwards

\'03 TDI - displ & power bump for North America?

One of the recent Automobile magazines previewed the next generation Golf and mentioned that one of the available powerplants will be a 2.0L 143 hp TDI that makes something like 235 fl-lbs of torque mated to a 6 speed manual.

Was this a typo? The 143 number matches (if I remember) the HP of a 16v 2.0 gas engine they claim will also be offered. They both sound a little high for a 2.0 TDI.

Is this just a rumor? Has VW confirmed either the displ/output of the next TDI OR whether a 6 spd will be offered with it?

Jon

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Re: \'03 TDI - displ & power bump for North America?

For 2003, the only TDI engine available in North America will continue to be the current 90hp. That's known for sure. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess, but due to a combination of emissions regulations and lack of competition, expect to see whatever is the least expensive for them to get through emissions regulations, whatever that may be.

So far, there is only one 4-cylinder TDI to conform with Euro 4, and that's the 100hp P-D engine. Still 1.9 litres, still 2 valves per cylinder. US Tier II is a bit tougher than Euro 4 all things considered.

P.S. How many times does this same question get asked ... ? ? ?

NB TDI

Veteran Member

I read that article too.. But I believe that it was for 2004. Now i heard that the TDI is going to be a 2.0 liter, 16v like you said I thought that is was 135hp? But then on beetlebuzz I heard that there is going to be the 100hp TDi with the 6 speed we'll have to wait a see.

Gofaster- you know nobodies forceing u to reply to this post

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

the recent article in BeetleBuzz did say that there would be a different TDI motor for the US generating 100HP. IIRC, this car would be a MY2004 becoming available about 12 months from now.

Apart from that, yes, there has been rampant speculation from many sources concerning a whole variety of new TDI powerhouses to be unleashed upon the unsuspecting American public...we can only hope !

<< VIVA LA TDI !

worfke

Well, it could be about the new TDI VWAG is developing at the moment?
Rumours say that the top version of this 2.0 16v TDI will develop around 180hp and 295Lbs/ft of torque.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS

The September issue of Automobile (on page 20) says the redesigned 2005 Passat will have a 2.0 liter, 16V TDI engine producing 136 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque.

It will allegedly be available with FWD or 4Motion and a manual or "twin-clutch" gearbox. The latter transmission can supposedly be shifted like a sequential gearbox or left to shift itself.

It will reportedly go on sale November 2004 with a wagon to follow in April of 2005.

If this all really comes to pass, I might actually buy another VW this decade.

Curiously, the W8 goes away--due to a change in the way the engine will be mounted. That seems like it was an expensive drill in engineering and marketing...

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green

Press release from VW:

For the 2004MY VW will offer a a new TDI for the US market:
2.0L
16 valve (variable cam timing)
182 hp
250 ft/lb torque
6 speed (or optional 5 speed tiptronic)
optional 4 motion

This is going to be offered only in the Jetta and be badged at the GLD (car will look the same as the GLI) VW has decided to be agressive on price also with the 6 speed starting at $20,550 USD. If the Jetta delivers good sales numbers, the same package will be offered on the Golf (called 337D) and Beetle (called Turbo D) in MY2005. VW has decided to keep a low profile and start secretly intorducing the Jetta as soon as November 2003.

Fade to black...... then to light...Wake up...

What a dream!