Unable to decide : Petrol/Diesel

**DONOTDELETE**

I am new in North America - VA, and surely in love with Jettas. I'm planning to purchase one shortly but not sure what engiene to go for Petrol or Diesel

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
You are going to find some bias here--It's safe to say we all love our diesels. Read the TDI FAQ before you read many more posts. Here's my favorite part--

"One thing to keep in mind about these forums is that we are enthusiasts. Some of us are overzealous when it comes to our cars. Some of us are anal retentive . We maintain our cars better than we do our personal relationships (my wife suggested I sleep with the car a few times). I honestly think that the car can be treated like a gasoline car in most respects with the exception of pumping diesel instead of gas. Oil changes at the factory recommended 10,000 miles with synthetic oil and changing the fuel and air filters at 20,000 miles are the only maintainance that you will need to do until you need to have the timing belt changed. If you compare this engine to the darling of VW's fleet, the 1.8T, you will see that the TDI is cheaper and simpler to maintain, not to mention the economy of operation. I've done just that."

You might go to www.vwvortex.com and post similar topics in the 2.0 litre and 1.8t forums to see what those owners have to say.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well, there are a number of factors, but let's start with this one. Suppose you just intend to drive and have no ambition of hot-rodding it or anything like that. Then it comes down to dollars and cents, and you'll be deciding between 2.0 gas and the TDI. (No point going 1.8T or VR6 if performance is a secondary factor.).

How much do you plan to drive each year? Given that, figure out how much fuel you are going to use each year (you can use the EPA or Transport Canada combined highway and city consumption estimates as a good guide). Multiply that by the current cost of each type of fuel in your area. You're going to find that the TDI costs about half as much in fuel to keep going. Depending on how much you drive, this could be a significant amount. (In my case, it's about C$120 per month.)

Maintenance costs are about the same whichever way you go.

The TDI costs more to buy. You could just divide the extra purchase cost by the annual savings to get a break-even period, but that would be too simplistic. In my area, used diesel VW's are worth more than used gas VW's, generally by more than the extra cost of the TDI engine in the first place ... which really means the break-even period is nil. (I paid a C$3000 premium for a used TDI over a similar VR6 with about 100,000 km, and it still made sense.)

Do you plan to keep the car for a long time? Advantage TDI. I drive my vehicles into the ground.

Suppose that performance is a factor but so is operating cost. Advantage TDI. Stock, it's about like a 2.0, but chipped it's more like either a 1.8T or a VR6. Advantage: TDI.

Suppose performance is the only factor and operating cost means nothing. Advantage: I'd say 1.8T.

Hope this helps. You owe it to yourself to take a few test drives in different models to see what you think of each.

For me, it took one test-drive in a Jetta TDI to get hooked.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

Skippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon Blue
Author Topic: Unable to decide : Petrol/Diesel
SagCar
unregistered posted November 17,

What's up with this?????

erickimb

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tdi_pwr:
Author Topic: Unable to decide : Petrol/Diesel
SagCar
unregistered posted November 17,

What's up with this?????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're no longer required to register to post, but you can't edit them later.

Gofaster's recommendation is perfect and good reading for anyone trying to decide.

Let me tell you this though, I currently have a loaner 2.0 Golf until they can get my air bag light fixed, and my wife and I can't stand the way the car drives, maybe we're used to our manual TDI but that 2.0 sucks in our opinions, we have been very happy with the TDI. Even though the 2.0 is supposed to be faster than the TDI it does not feel that way, the pull you get from the diesel is great IMHO.

Eric

p.s. I don't know what's up with that new Golf but it sucks all around, it only has 1,000 miles and already it has a weird clunking from the front end when braking or turning, when you turn on the turn signal I can hear a very loud clicking coming from (i suppose the turn signal relay) in the dash or even farther forward, but our jetta sure doesn't make that noise, just the usual clicking noise when using the turn signal, I'd have to look at decibel readings but the golf seems to have alot more interior road noise than our Jetta, let's just say that it's a good thing we bought a Jetta, I would have been unhappy with a Golf even with a TDI engine.

------------------
Eric & Kim
'00 Jetta TDI
Atlantic Blue
Lux Pak/Monsoon/Cd Player
VW Bra/Tinted windows www.angelfire.com/fl3/erickimtylerkelsey

[This message has been edited by erickimb (edited November 17, 2000).]

TDI Envy

Veteran Member
In another thread someone else was complaining about the wind noise from a rental Golf gasser.

I don't understand. My Golf has none of these artifacts. Nada. Zip. Zero. I have the feeling that some of these are production line variables/QC issues, particularily the "clunks", the rest can be chalked up to VW's attempt to tame the diesel clatter. More insulation and tighter tolerances. Let's face it, the TDI is the better car.

I'd love to do a side by side of a gasser and a TDI of the same vintage. Might be a real eyeopener.

Rejoice! We're being spoiled by having the best.

------------------
2001 Golf GL, 5 speed
Indigo

SSmmmokin!