New Member, New to VW..

bigdaddycane

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon
Hey guys, I picked up a 2011 Jetta Sportwagon TDi last week as my commuter car (after three Subaru Outbacks) and am looking to get some knowledge dropped on me. The car is Candy White / Black and has only 41k mileage. What are some things I should look out for? Also, I am looking for a good Mechanic that knows the TDi's in the Maryland or Virginia area as I bought the car from a Subaru dealer and I have a comprehensive 3 month warranty. I want to get it check out completely to see if any thing needs to be fixed.

Anyway, I looking forward to learning and participating on this forum as I've done in the past with my other cars.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Do some reading here!search is your friend.......The Sportwagen is a great car but has several problem areas......the HPFP has had a tendency to fail and has in a low % of these cars......and so far VW has tend to take care of repairs which could be 8000! In the winter time the potential exists for your intercooler to freeze with the potential to Hydro lock the mother and ruin it various sensors in the exhaust system can and will fail.......causing CEL
The A/C compressor has a valve that is failure prone which can cost big bucks.....I owned mine for nearly 3 years and experienced several of these problems......I sold it to buy my Jetta Hybrid......The Lifetime Fuel mileage on my Sportwagen was 33.8....
have fun....

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
You may want to check in with a VW dealer. Despite buying it from a Subaru dealer, the 5yr/60k mile warrenty may still be in effect. It may also be good to find out what sort (if any) dealer service has been done to it.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
Just ask the dealer to look up if the intercooler kit was put on. Is the car a NoVA car? Might not have needed it.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
I would also recommend you find someone with VCDS to run a scan and just check to see what codes, if any, are in the system.

At the same time you could get them to make any mods you like.
Light flash/honk for lock or unlock.
Key fob rolls all windows up or down
# of flashes for changing lanes
etc.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Just ask the dealer to look up if the intercooler kit was put on. Is the car a NoVA car? Might not have needed it.
I live in the DC area and my Ex Sportwagen had an Intercooler Freeze and at least 3 in the area Froze the same day......VW refused to put a kit in this car.....

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
yep, goto a dealer asap and see what service has been done or not.
40K is a big important one for DSG (automatic transmissions)...
Every 10k miles: oil change
Every 20k miles: fuel filter change
Every 40k miles: DSG service

A complete rundown for service items here:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2011_All.pdf

While at a dealership the DSG service can be a big ticket item you can always DIY or find a local TDi guru to help keep costs down.

If you have a manual transmission it's a "Lifetime" fill... Take that with a grain of salt. I'd say every ~60-80k miles is a good time to drain/refill the manual transmission fluid.

Last edited: