1.6 jetta turbo engine in vanagon need help with turbo drain to oil pan

Featherstone

TDI
vanagon diesel
I have put a 1.6 turbo diesel engine in my 82 diesel vanagon.I wondered if anyone else has done this.When the engine was in the jetta it never burned oil but now that it is in the vanagon burns 1 litre every 100 km.I have the turbo return line to oil pan under oil level.I think this is my problem.If anyone has any experience with this or ideas I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.I am considering putting a tube inside the oil pan to bring the entry to the pan above the oil level but do not know if this will help or if I am wasting my time.I would love to get any advice on this detail before I remove the pan for the retrofit.Thank you for any info available

larrynsr

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon White TDI 6MT
Turbo oil drain has to be above oil level so that there is absolutely no restriction when draining. Also make sure your crank case pressure is vented properly (in to the atmosphere or engine air intake) so that there is no pressure forcing the oil past the turbo seals.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
...and do you know if the turbo was re-clocked when the engine was transplanted into your van (I'm assuming this is a transplant?).

My understanding is that this is also very important for transplants, given the different angle the Vanagon engine sits at.

The guys and gals over at www.vwdiesel.net will likely have the best answers for you.