Winnipeg Help!

Jdfowler0

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Sport, 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2005 Golf TDI
HELP

Firstly, happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. I'm a dad who is crossing canada from Nee Brunswick in my 04 TDI. I'm destined for Edmonton and just entered into Winnipeg after spending 24hrs in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota.

My rear passenger side wheel bearing has been howling for the past 700kms and I don't know how much further I'm willing to take it. Being that it's a Sunday I know I'm going to have a hell of a time finding a shop that will tackle it for me.

Would there be anyone out there who has an equipped garage that wouldn't mind letting me borrow a few tools and roof? I've got some tools with me, but I'm not prepared to change a WB on the side of the road. I know it's a long shot but I thought it'll be worth a shot. Supper and beer provided!!!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
Hey, sorry I just saw this post now. I would not push that wheel bearing too much farther. ive had one explode.
I can loan some tools, but my garage is full and my canopy is housing the new siding for the house. There is a superstore with underground parking that ive used in the past for working on my car about 3 minutes from my house.
If you have not gotten this sorted out yet, give me a call tomorrow. I have the day off.
204-479-6580
Aaron

Jdfowler0

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Sport, 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2005 Golf TDI
Hey Aaron. Thanks for the offer man. I was reading to go and convinced Crappy Tire to squeeze me in. I brought them a bearing and had to spoon feed them. They were all afraid of workig on a VW near the end of the day, and didn't think they'd have time. I told them if they didn't want to do it, that I'd do it myself in their garage. 30 minutes later they had it done. They wasted a a few of those minutes looking for a 30mm 12 point, which I provided to them lol.

Anyway, thanks for the offer, I'm in Swift Current how and the Jetta is happier than ever. Actually turned out 58mpg yesterday too. She's in her element.

Cheers!

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I'm destined for Edmonton
Edmonton..... the WORST Traffic in Canada... Just was in Edmonton.
Lived in Edm. for many years, but it is no FUN anymore.... It's more fun to drive in Germany on the Autobahn....
Speed Limit what is that? Nobody cares. :mad:
Have a safe stay in Alberta !

jiggseob

Veteran Member
Also stuck in winnipeg

Visisting from Alberta, in northern Manitoba (Snow Lake) travelling from there to Winnipeg, about an 8 hour drive.

An hour out of snow lake, the battery light comes on. Pull over, check belt, belt is OK. Smell underhood, theres a slight smell of burnt electical stuff. A bit of residue near the vents of the altnernator, I picked some of the residue up on a fingertip, it smelled really strong of the burnt electrical smell. I'm pretty sure the 2 year old parts-source alternator is smoked.

I unplugged the headlights, turn off all unneccessary electrical loads, and drove the 7 hours to Winnipeg nwithout problem. Watching temp guage, in case alt bearings went out,. took out serp belt, and disable cooling. Dumb idea, since cooling system has nothing to do with serp belt, water pump runs off t-belt, and if water pump stops spinning, over-heating is the least of my worry.

Made it to Winnipeg, theres still enough juice in the Optima red-top to start the car.

Its saturday night, and I'm bumming rides with inlaws until monday when I can hopefully find an alternator and or get one installed.

Any recommendations on a non-dealer alternator-fix?

Jiggs

jiggseob

Veteran Member
Got it done...

Studied the Jetta alternator replacement how-to.

Bought the tools at Princess Auto.

Went to North Main Auto Electric, Ted looked at alternator and went to fetch a Wilson rebuild from his supplier. I used his 4-post hoist to remove my old alternator, took an hour.

He returned with Wilson rebuild, installed it, took another hour.

Cost $267 all in. Rare to find a shop that would let you use their hoist and bay and do your own stuff.

Failed alternator is a year-old dixie rebuild.

Thanks to SkyRyder55 for the offer of help and support, I probably would have needed it if I hadn't lucked out and found North Main Auto Electric and his hoist.

Jiggs.